Author Topic: Broken Sd Slot  (Read 2285 times)

Fushnchupsh

• View Profile
    • http://
Broken Sd Slot
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:53:59 am »
Hey all.  In the constant saga of me breaking my Zaurus, I have a new chapter.  About a month ago I took apart my in order to replace the microdrive which had finally died.  Shortly after I decided to use my sd slot as I never had and I thought it would be nice to have some extra space.  Well, after ejecting the mock card, I tried to press in the sd card and it felt like something was blocking the way.  I tried a couple more times to no avail.  Well, I accepted the fact it was broken and I stepped away from this problem for a week or so.  Well, I noticed that, now when I booted up pdaxrom, no modules were loaded...  In fact, I didn't even get a FAILED.  So, again, I tried the sd card again and it pressed in after a bit of fiddling (not hard).  When it went it, the system freezes for a short while and then acts as though nothing happened.   I try to mount and no beans.  I run dmesg and I get nothing (mind, the card is in now and ejects and presses in as normal).  The reason I post this in the hardware section is because I just flashed to GPE and I still have the same problems (minus the short term freeze).  I pop the card in, mounting fails and I get nothing in dmesg.  Does anyone have a clue?  Possibly a broken solder joint?  The board is pressed into the socket on the motherboard and screwed down....

I never used my SD cards and now I feel like I am missing something HUGE on my Z....  It's funny how that works.

--Fish
C3200 (Conics) Pdaxrom r198
Symbol cf wifi
GE USB host "cable"
Nokia 770 (Woot!)

daniel3000

• View Profile
Broken Sd Slot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:51:44 pm »
Hi Fish,

the first things I would check:

1. Is the dummy card broken? If it misses a part, that may still stick in the slot.

2. try to look into the slot with a good small (LED) torch: DO you see any bent contacts or anything else which could block?

Exchanging the SD slot is not hard, so if it is really broken, all you need is to find a broken Zaurus (SL-C3000 or SL-C1000 would do, too, I think), and swap the SD daughterboards.

But maybe it's enough to use compressed air to blow out some impurity.

Good luck!
daniel
SL-C3200 with weeXpc, based on pdaXrom 1.1.0beta3
HP 200LX with MS-DOS 5.0

Fushnchupsh

• View Profile
Broken Sd Slot
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:55:00 am »
ok, pulled out the LED and after blinding myself once or twice, I think I see the problem.  Each of the connectors on an SD card has a pair of "prongs" in the back of the slot.  The Pair that is all the way to the left look like they are pushed back or non existant, although, I think I see some copper, so I think they are there.  Looks like I am goingto have to pull the z apart again to see if I can fix this....

Thanks for your help, Dan.  I'll keep this post updated.

--Fish

EDIT:Aye, I typed the wrong name.... Sorry, mate!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:38:12 am by Fushnchupsh »
C3200 (Conics) Pdaxrom r198
Symbol cf wifi
GE USB host "cable"
Nokia 770 (Woot!)