Author Topic: Fixes For R198/r197  (Read 59315 times)

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 11:27:09 pm »
Thanks for the update Meanie. 

I tried it on my C1000 and the Matchbox Cards applet was broken for CF slot.  It would not eject a CF memory card in the slot.  It just said it was empty.  Pccardctl recognized the card fine and could eject it just fine.  I also tried my Buffalo Wifi card and the MB Cards couldn't see it either.  Pcccardctl had no trouble with the Buffalo card either.  I tried fixing the problem by reinstalling the old MB cards applet from the feeds you included in SP1 (1.03 I believe) and it seems to have totally killed my CF slot.  Pccardctl can't see any card in the slot anymore even after rebooting.  I sure hope that this is a software issue or my C1000 is write off.   

Which brings up another issue that I found after applying SP1.  The new reboot menu item doesn't work.  Clicking on it does nothing.  I have to exit X and then type reboot at the console prompt.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

sigh. the mb-applet-cards fix works for C3x00 models. looks like it broke the c1000. just install the old applet from the r198 feed, or use the fbpanel cards applet instead which will work on the c1000 but not the c3x00.

i will need to write a better detection routine, but ultimately, this problem will be properly fixed by the new kernel. my workaround is a hack for the current kernel bug in detecting the pccard devices properly. it assumes slot 0 is the external cf card for all models which is fine for c1000 but breaks all the c3x00. so my hack was to eject slot 1 instead which is where the external cf is for c3x00. once the kernel is fixed, slot 0 will be the external cf for all models...
i almost forgot, for c1000, you can try changing r198 to r200 in /etc/issue

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks Meanie.

The mb cards applet in the feed loads on X startup but when I tap on it, it disappears.      

I reloaded SP1 and the your 3x00 fixed cards applet runs so at least I can control my SD and USB devices with it.  How do I get back to the original cards applet that works with the 1000?  I looked through the feeds but the only fb stuff I can find is the fbpanel.  There are no fb applets listed.  Maybe I am looking for the wrong name?

Edit: I just changed the release number from R198 to R200 like you suggested and restarted.  I'm not sure what that did for me aside from telling me I am now running R200 when I login.  Was that supposed to help with the reboot menu item?  I just tried the menu reboot and it is still not working.  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

no, changing the release is supposed to trick the applet into thinking that its a newer version of pdaXrom that doesn't have the kernel bug and thus will use device 0...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 11:53:12 pm »
Thanks for the update Meanie. 

I tried it on my C1000 and the Matchbox Cards applet was broken for CF slot.  It would not eject a CF memory card in the slot.  It just said it was empty.  Pccardctl recognized the card fine and could eject it just fine.  I also tried my Buffalo Wifi card and the MB Cards couldn't see it either.  Pcccardctl had no trouble with the Buffalo card either.  I tried fixing the problem by reinstalling the old MB cards applet from the feeds you included in SP1 (1.03 I believe) and it seems to have totally killed my CF slot.  Pccardctl can't see any card in the slot anymore even after rebooting.  I sure hope that this is a software issue or my C1000 is write off.    

Which brings up another issue that I found after applying SP1.  The new reboot menu item doesn't work.  Clicking on it does nothing.  I have to exit X and then type reboot at the console prompt.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

sigh. the mb-applet-cards fix works for C3x00 models. looks like it broke the c1000. just install the old applet from the r198 feed, or use the fbpanel cards applet instead which will work on the c1000 but not the c3x00.

i will need to write a better detection routine, but ultimately, this problem will be properly fixed by the new kernel. my workaround is a hack for the current kernel bug in detecting the pccard devices properly. it assumes slot 0 is the external cf card for all models which is fine for c1000 but breaks all the c3x00. so my hack was to eject slot 1 instead which is where the external cf is for c3x00. once the kernel is fixed, slot 0 will be the external cf for all models...
i almost forgot, for c1000, you can try changing r198 to r200 in /etc/issue

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks Meanie.

The mb cards applet in the feed loads on X startup but when I tap on it, it disappears.      

I reloaded SP1 and the your 3x00 fixed cards applet runs so at least I can control my SD and USB devices with it.  How do I get back to the original cards applet that works with the 1000?  I looked through the feeds but the only fb stuff I can find is the fbpanel.  There are no fb applets listed.  Maybe I am looking for the wrong name?

Edit: I just changed the release number from R198 to R200 like you suggested and restarted.  I'm not sure what that did for me aside from telling me I am now running R200 when I login.  Was that supposed to help with the reboot menu item?  I just tried the menu reboot and it is still not working.  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

no, changing the release is supposed to trick the applet into thinking that its a newer version of pdaXrom that doesn't have the kernel bug and thus will use device 0...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks again, Meanie.

I see.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.   I still can't manage my CF slot with the applet.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:54:01 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Meanie

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:36:31 pm »
made a few more fixes so here is sp2. sp2 includes all fixes that are in sp1 plus some extra ones:

- included missing Reboot
- fixed mb-applet-cards for C1000 also
- some updates to keymappings
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

Meanie

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 08:17:45 pm »
arg! found a bug in the cards applet. it only detects memory cards, so here is the fix...

scoutme

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 07:15:08 pm »
hi Meanie, are your patches good for sl-c860?

Meanie

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it should work, but untested due to lack of said device...

grog

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 11:10:22 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162347\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
it should work, but untested due to lack of said device...[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
They've worked ok for me so far, except for the issues that Meanie's fixed already. Back up first & the n see how it goes. That's waht I've done.
GROG!

dsteuer

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 05:02:12 am »
it should work, but untested due to lack of said device...[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
They've worked ok for me so far, except for the issues that Meanie's fixed already. Back up first & the n see how it goes. That's waht I've done.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

So you have R197 + sp3 running? Just to be sure before flashing ...

grog

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 12:18:21 pm »
So you have R197 + sp3 running? Just to be sure before flashing ...[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Correct. The only issues for me right now is restoring my custom fstab & .Xdefaults after installing. So unless you've touched any of the config files in the package, you should be ok.

Here's a listing without the binary's that are updated:

Code: [Select]
grog@grond$ ipkg files pdaXrom-fixes | grep -v "bin|lib|usr"
//etc/
//etc/ipkg.conf
//etc/hotplug/
//etc/hotplug/pci.rc
//etc/motd
//etc/rc.d/
//etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
//etc/rc.d/init.d/
//etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth
//etc/xdg/
//etc/xdg/openbox/
//etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml
//etc/X11/
//etc/X11/kb/
//etc/X11/kb/Akita/
//etc/X11/kb/Akita/xmodmap_us
//etc/X11/kb/Corgi/
//etc/X11/kb/Corgi/xmodmap_us
//etc/inputrc
//etc/ppp/
//etc/ppp/peers/
//etc/ppp/peers/default
//etc/ppp/peers/gprs
//etc/wifi-radar.conf
//etc/sysconfig/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/Spitz/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/Spitz/keymap-sticky.map
//home/
//home/root/
//home/root/.Xdefaults
//home/root/.xmms/
//home/root/.xmms/config
//home/root/.AbiSuite/
//home/root/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.Profile
//home/root/.sylpheed-2.0/
//home/root/.sylpheed-2.0/sylpheedrc
//home/root/Choices/
//home/root/Choices/common/
//home/root/Choices/common/Network-PPP-GPRS.conf
//home/root/Choices/common/Network-PPP-default.conf
//home/root/.fbpanel/
//home/root/.fbpanel/default

Oh, and Meanie. Could I ask a favour & get you to correct the permissions of the directories in the package, specifically /etc, /etc/rc.d, /etc/rc.d/init.d & /etc/X11 (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head). 99% of my work on the Z is in a terminal as a non-root user using sudo & I keep having to reset these dirs back from 700 to 755 after I install the sp. thks
GROG!

Meanie

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 10:32:42 pm »
So you have R197 + sp3 running? Just to be sure before flashing ...[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Correct. The only issues for me right now is restoring my custom fstab & .Xdefaults after installing. So unless you've touched any of the config files in the package, you should be ok.

Here's a listing without the binary's that are updated:

grog@grond$ ipkg files pdaXrom-fixes | grep -v "bin|lib|usr"
//etc/
//etc/ipkg.conf
//etc/hotplug/
//etc/hotplug/pci.rc
//etc/motd
//etc/rc.d/
//etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
//etc/rc.d/init.d/
//etc/rc.d/init.d/bluetooth
//etc/xdg/
//etc/xdg/openbox/
//etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml
//etc/X11/
//etc/X11/kb/
//etc/X11/kb/Akita/
//etc/X11/kb/Akita/xmodmap_us
//etc/X11/kb/Corgi/
//etc/X11/kb/Corgi/xmodmap_us
//etc/inputrc
//etc/ppp/
//etc/ppp/peers/
//etc/ppp/peers/default
//etc/ppp/peers/gprs
//etc/wifi-radar.conf
//etc/sysconfig/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/Spitz/
//etc/sysconfig/keyboard/Spitz/keymap-sticky.map
//home/
//home/root/
//home/root/.Xdefaults
//home/root/.xmms/
//home/root/.xmms/config
//home/root/.AbiSuite/
//home/root/.AbiSuite/AbiWord.Profile
//home/root/.sylpheed-2.0/
//home/root/.sylpheed-2.0/sylpheedrc
//home/root/Choices/
//home/root/Choices/common/
//home/root/Choices/common/Network-PPP-GPRS.conf
//home/root/Choices/common/Network-PPP-default.conf
//home/root/.fbpanel/
//home/root/.fbpanel/default

Oh, and Meanie. Could I ask a favour & get you to correct the permissions of the directories in the package, specifically /etc, /etc/rc.d, /etc/rc.d/init.d & /etc/X11 (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head). 99% of my work on the Z is in a terminal as a non-root user using sudo & I keep having to reset these dirs back from 700 to 755 after I install the sp. thks
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

done. file permissions fixed. also added sltime...

zeigerpuppy

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 05:51:59 am »
When I tried R189, bluetooth PPP was not working (did not scan for peer) and my socket CF Wifi was also not recognised.
Are these issues fixed or am I missing something in the configuration.  I would like to flash back to R198 as the suspend functions are much zippier that pdaxii13 on my 3100 but can't do without networking!
Zaurus C3100, CE-RH2, Socket lowpower CF Wifi, Socket CF Bluetooth
pdaXrom r198 - testing!, IceWM, Bluetooth modem: Sony Ericsson v600i with 3G.
see some howtos and tips at http://greenant.net/portal/greenant/wiki/Zaurus3100

louigi600

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 02:49:48 am »
any improvement for 860?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

that will come with kernel 2.6.21

:-)

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
How is the work on 2.6.21 coming on ?
Regards
David

SL-c760*  pdaXrom latest
SL-c860    pdaXrom latest ;-)
SL-c1000  pdaXrom Latest
Acer Aspire One running slackware and Clash
Toshiba AC100 running ARMedslack and Clash

*with some hardware problems but good for testing

HoloVector

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 07:50:02 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The fourth time is the charm for me.  The cards applet is now working properly on my 1000. Thanks Meanie.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

InSearchOf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 08:08:56 am »
any improvement for 860?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

that will come with kernel 2.6.21

:-)

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
How is the work on 2.6.21 coming on ?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Still applying patches... waiting to reach a point where I can atleast boot to the kernel...

Late
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100 and SL-6000L
pdaXrom Developer
Please visit pdaXrom.org for updates
My Blog
IRC #pdaxrom @ FreeNode

grog

• View Profile
Fixes For R198/r197
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 01:05:42 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Not quite. The directories need execute permissions as well. Currently:

drwxr--r-- root/root         0 2007-05-24 16:34:42 ./etc/hotplug/
drwxr--r-- root/root         0 2007-05-28 07:26:37 ./etc/rc.d/
drwxr--r-- root/root         0 2007-05-24 16:34:42 ./etc/X11/
drwxr--r-- root/root         0 2007-05-24 20:36:33 ./etc/X11/kb/
drwxr--r-- root/root         0 2007-05-25 14:26:46 ./etc/X11/kb/Akita/
As well, 'fraid I have to report a problem with the sp's for corgi's. The xpdf binary isn't compatible, crashing with an 'Illegal instruction' error. It took me a while to notice this 'cause I don't use it that often. I checked out most of the other binary's that are included in the sp & haven't found any issues with any of those.
GROG!