Author Topic: Spam  (Read 40072 times)

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
Spam
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 06:14:57 pm »
Quote from: tux
Hi Roy, Dave,

I know that changes to the Wiki setup are taking place this weekend. I hope that blocking anonymous/unlogged in edits is high on the agenda. The last few bits of banning and reverting that I have done have been to anonymous/unlogged users putting little snippets of gibberish in. This looks like the Wiki is beginning to be a target again.   Not very much at the moment,let's knock it on the head now.
 The anonymous gibberbots are increasing in number. I really hope the captcha and the anonymous editing changes are going well.  

It is 23:11 my time and I went to bed about 05:30 this morning. No it wasn't wiki business, this TitchyLinux is getting quite engrossing!  

So 'Goodnight Each!'
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
Spam
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 06:45:55 pm »
thanks for all your hard work, tux!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:46:25 pm by Antikx »
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

Meyer

• View Profile
    • http://papa.motd.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
Spam
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 10:42:35 pm »
The anonymous gibberbots are increasing in number. I really hope the captcha and the anonymous editing changes are going well.

It's disappointing what some people think of as fun.

1-word gibberish edits are at least an improvement over the link spam, but I agree we need to get rid of them, too.

If disallowing anonymous edits is the only way to do it, I don't think that will be much of a loss in practical terms. However, in principle I think it's better to keep the wiki as open and free as we can.

The ConfirmEdit captcha extension is configurable to trigger a captcha on edits by anonymous users while leaving registered users alone. I'd like to see if that's enough to block the gibberish.

Of course, if it's not bots but people sitting at their PCs typing "klsdfoisdf" into wiki pages, the captcha won't do much good. In that case blocking all anonymous edits is probably the only thing we can do.
David Meyer, Takarazuka, Japan
1. Zaurus iGeti MI-P10-S (retired)
2. "Liza" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.31 JP R.I.P.
3. "Slee 2" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.40 JP (retired)
4. "iZa" Zaurus SL-C1000, Sharp ROM 1.01 JP

adf

• View Profile
Spam
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 11:02:13 pm »
Quote from: Meyer

It's disappointing what some people think of as fun.

1-word gibberish edits are at least an improvement over the link spam, but I agree we need to get rid of them, too.

If disallowing anonymous edits is the only way to do it, I don't think that will be much of a loss in practical terms. However, in principle I think it's better to keep the wiki as open and free as we can.

The ConfirmEdit captcha extension is configurable to trigger a captcha on edits by anonymous users while leaving registered users alone. I'd like to see if that's enough to block the gibberish.

Of course, if it's not bots but people sitting at their PCs typing "klsdfoisdf" into wiki pages, the captcha won't do much good. In that case blocking all anonymous edits is probably the only thing we can do.
How really difficult is it to register? Is there a mail address available so someone with a brilliant insight who can't be bothered to register to post it can mail it to the  admin?  What do you think would be lost by requiring a simple free registration, and possible posting an easy way for a human to mail the admin?  I'm obviously a fan of open stuff, but making things easy on assholes seems like a bad idea...
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Meyer

• View Profile
    • http://papa.motd.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
Spam
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 12:08:09 am »
Quote from: adf
How really difficult is it to register? Is there a mail address available so someone with a brilliant insight who can't be bothered to register to post it can mail it to the  admin?  What do you think would be lost by requiring a simple free registration, and possible posting an easy way for a human to mail the admin?  I'm obviously a fan of open stuff, but making things easy on assholes seems like a bad idea...

I think we're largely in agreement, except I would say you can't tell who's an asshole and who's not at least until they make their first edit.

Registration is not difficult, and it is hard for me to imagine why someone would be reluctant to do so. But it is also possible that someone with a legitimate reason I have failed to imagine wants to contribute to the wiki, and I'd prefer we let them without interference if it's possible to do so without making the wiki a spam dumping-ground.

If it's not possible to do both, then, yes, loss of anonymous edits will be a low-impact sacrifice. I just think "no stricter than necessary" is the better policy.
David Meyer, Takarazuka, Japan
1. Zaurus iGeti MI-P10-S (retired)
2. "Liza" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.31 JP R.I.P.
3. "Slee 2" Zaurus SL-C860, Sharp ROM 1.40 JP (retired)
4. "iZa" Zaurus SL-C1000, Sharp ROM 1.01 JP

tux

• View Profile
Spam
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:24 pm »
Welcome back David!!  

Over the last month or so an increasing number of IP editors have been creating new pages with walls of text. I assume there is some 'payload' in there? I think it might well be time to bar IP editing for a period of time.

Also editors are registering and doing the same thing. They are also uploading various images. Again I presume there is some 'payload' in there. Has the 'captcha' for registering been turned off? I don't have that many calls on my time but the amount of blocking and deleting I am doing at the moment is very tedious!

Is there some connection with the obvious robot registrations for forum membership? Any forum admin care to comment there?

Cheers
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!