Author Topic: R198 First Touches And Experiences  (Read 11566 times)

ecc_hy

• View Profile
R198 First Touches And Experiences
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 04:42:18 am »
Move 1.1beat3 to r198 on C1000

1. u-boot can be setup by CF, system can be setup by sd only. When system is in SD, the setup prog do not run autoboot.sh and get in SH prompt, and then carsh if you tray to run autoboot.sh manually.
2. Moving window by alt + mose is not working.
3. gtk open file dialog is too large to fit screen.
4. Try pstree after start x-windows. I found some process like bash, .xinitrc, running in a process add a few same name thread. I have meet same problem in pdaxrom 1.1beta3, but only scim-gtk-panel. After google search, it seems a glibc nptl problem. I am sure scim-gtk-panel use nptl.

Need help.
SL-C1000, Roku wifi, pdaxii13v2/Debian dual booting

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:26 pm »
Quote from: walkman
Hi, as it seems to be useful and I am still missing a proper way to report bugs/issues, I am keeping this thread alive and using it as a bug-tracker.

[size=]MPlayer[/size]
- Install of gmplayer worked.
- try to run it, yields nothing...
- try the same from the command line and see that it needs libsdl.
BUG: dependency of mplayer on SDL package is missing
- SDL-sound installed (installed obviously also the core SDL package)
- gmplayer starts and everything is alright

- let's try to use mplayer from command line as I am not that fond of the GUI thingy:
[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']mplayer http://www.sky.fm/mp3/solopiano.mp3[/div]
BUG: for whatever reason mplayer starting script launches aterm. I do not have aterm installed, so it crashed.
- OK, let's install aterm
- mplayer now launches aterm, opens a new window but still crashes, i.e. does not play anything and aterm also exits...
- so let's take a look at the script and see that it actually tries to launch mplayer3.
- trying to launch mplayer3 yields success and everything plays well... almost...
ISSUE: The volume is too loud by default. Moving the slider on the volume applet in the panel is very sensitive. Below one half, the music is off and above moving the slider a little bit goes from silent to VERY loud.

[size=]CPU usage on blank screen[/size]
- as I would like to use my Z as an mp3 player (and want to wash dishes with Midnight Oil in my ears  ) I want to start mplayer, blank the screen, close the display and enjoy the music. And here some minor problems start...

Closing display
Question: I am not sure whether the display blanks when I close the display. Does it? When I tried to open it a bit and peak in, it was on... Not nice to battery...

Blank screen and CPU
- I started mplayer and everything played well. CPU was high, but the music was smooth and played well...
- blank the screen using PowerCtrl applet works, but somehow the music is not smooth anymore!
BUG: blanking the screen obviously does something with CPU usage. I see two possibilities:
  • blanking the screen leads to higher CPU usage for some reason (doubtful)
  • blanking the screen leads to CPU underclocking (why?)
I am not sure which one is right, but overclocking CPU before blanking the screen worked well and music played quite alright afterwards (still not smooth at times, but probably I overclocked it not enough)[/i]

[size=]PowerCtrl applet[/size]
- mb-applet-powerctrl is started from command line

ISSUE: on clicking on the icon in the panel an error message is issued to the command line:
[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']mb-applet-powerctrl failed to open /proc/driver/fr/corgi-bl[/div] What's that?
ISSUE: I noticed that volume control is completely missing in powerctrl applet. I remember it used to be there in pdaXii13v2.
BUG: CPU overclocking in powerctrl applet does not work:
- clicking on CPU clock frequency issues an error message: [div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']mb-applet-powerctrl failed to open /proc/ZAURUS/VCORE.[/div]
- CPU speed is set to 104Mhz which is obviously wrong.

you probably installed the mplayer package for pdaXii13 which is not meant for r198
the powectrl applet was intended for beta3/pdaXii13 which have a 2.4 kernel. i sorta ported it to r198 in so much that it could run and not crash, but not all the features have been ported/enabled  yet...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 10:35:52 pm »
Quote from: ecc_hy
Move 1.1beat3 to r198 on C1000

1. u-boot can be setup by CF, system can be setup by sd only. When system is in SD, the setup prog do not run autoboot.sh and get in SH prompt, and then carsh if you tray to run autoboot.sh manually.
2. Moving window by alt + mose is not working.
3. gtk open file dialog is too large to fit screen.
4. Try pstree after start x-windows. I found some process like bash, .xinitrc, running in a process add a few same name thread. I have meet same problem in pdaxrom 1.1beta3, but only scim-gtk-panel. After google search, it seems a glibc nptl problem. I am sure scim-gtk-panel use nptl.

Need help.

the latest gtk2 libraries combined with latest openbox resize dialog boxes correctly so they will fit onto the screen (these packages are part of pdaXiiv2 but should work with r198)
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

ecc_hy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 11:11:22 pm »
mb-applet-powerctrl is really important for pdaxrom now.

I have installed r198 on my c1000, and try to modify mb-applet-powerctrl. But my r198 always crash when compiling, so I give up finally.

Now come back to 1.1beta3, and try to modify powerctrl without mbmenu. May try it in r198 next time, not be very soon.
SL-C1000, Roku wifi, pdaxii13v2/Debian dual booting