Author Topic: Yoo Hoo........anyone Out There?  (Read 13017 times)

Ragnorok

• View Profile
    • http://
Yoo Hoo........anyone Out There?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »
- I've been without money, not been able to find my car keys, out of gas for the motorcycle, and locked out of the house, but I have never been without Hiroshi.  It just doesn't happen.  I don't know how often I use my Z because Hiro is always there in my butt bag ... I reach to my waist, grab, and use without a second thought.  Hiroshi always works, never crashes, never fails, never loses data, and the Z is imminently expandable and configurable to do a simply amazing number of things that were never envisioned when it was made.  In my opinion the Zaurus is what every PDA should dream of growing up to be one day.  That includes every PDA or smart phone I've see to date.

- I've taken four months to solve a single Sokoban level; this game on the Z doesn't save where you are, it saves the level you are on, so I had that game loaded and active on the task bar for four months straight, in addition to anything else I may have done during that time.  I've owned seven different PDAs and Hiroshi is the second most reliable, but the completely and utterly most enjoyable of them all.  (most reliable: Psion 5mx - no reboot for three full years until I got my first Zaurus because they stopped making Psion - bows head in silence for Psion's passing)

- I use Hiroshi primarily for PIM and games, puzzle games like Zudoku and Sokoban.  I have used the Z for music, wardriving, surfing for info, and I've fiddled around with VoIP, apache, mysql, C++ development, perl, and anything else that crossed my mind in the last four years.  The power, flexibility, form factor, and minuscule size are a real sweet spot for me.

- I don't post here much of late because I moved into a "fixer upper" house, which takes a considerable chunk of time, and this is at an excellent dark sky site, so I've taken up amateur astronomy.  I do hope to write some astro software for Hiro to run goto telescopes.  Time will tell, or it won't, Gosh Darn! ™

- Having typed all that, I'll definitely give the latest pdaX a shot once it's available!  (grin)  I like trying out distro and feel confident that some day I'll find one that works as well as Cacko.  If not ... NAND backup does just what it should, it puts Hiroshi back precisely as it was before flashing, so it's painless and fun to fiddle around with the possibilities...
| I shed a tear for the passing of Hiroshi; he served me well
| Zaurus zealot since Nov 2002, PDA user since Oct 1991
| Replaced Z with UMID BZ February 2010

jfv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »
I come to the forum daily, but have not posted much lately. Although I've tweaked my Z over the years a lot, I don't flash it because for a long time it has been my main travel machine and I needed it to work (The C860, that is. The 5000D has been flashed a lot). Now I've bought a EeePC and it might become my travel machine and I am still gathering up the courage to mess with the Z. I've been following the developments on Debian and Android and would like to try those, although most HowTo's seem to focus on the C3x00. I might be the last Sharp ROM user so there is not much reason to post.
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 06:54:34 am »
You are not the last Sharp ROM user. Those of us with 6000s probably mostly have Sharp. There are only "works in progress" available for us at the moment. I have experimented with some of these only to find myself coming back to Sharp. The default ROM is not bad. Just a little dated.
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 04:16:37 pm »
Quote from: the_oak
nilch:
You sold your 6000 with it's built-in wifi and beautiful screen?   (looking at signature) How does the N810 screen compare with the 6000? I suppose maybe the N810's browser is what made you leap.

Actually I sold my SL6000 after I had both the 6000 and the C1000 and had to choose between one ... sadly I choose the clamshell factor and keyboard of the C1000 over the 6000 screen (also sold of my C750, since wife wouldn't let me keep so many toys  

The N810 screen is great - readable in direct sunlight - but still from what little I remember, the 6000 screen was more readable and bright in sunlight.
But the touch sensitivity on the N810 screen is smoother. I miss the rotation aspect of course of the Zaurus series (there is a rotation hack for the Nokia IT's but not as good).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:17:17 pm by nilch »
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 05:02:42 pm »
Quote from: nilch
The N810 screen is great - readable in direct sunlight - but still from what little I remember, the 6000 screen was more readable and bright in sunlight.
But the touch sensitivity on the N810 screen is smoother. I miss the rotation aspect of course of the Zaurus series (there is a rotation hack for the Nokia IT's but not as good).
That's probably the biggest thing for me. Using the Z in a car during the day is near impossible, but it works fine with the N810.

As for the rotation thing, I like having landscape mode be native, since that's how I always use it (no slowdown from software rotation!). If you REALLY want to use portrait mode on ITs, maybe you should try Debian. It's likely handled better there than in Maemo (I haven't really used rotation in Debian, but when I did a while back, it worked fine).
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

jocasmi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:10:46 am »
I stay tunned and using my collie everyday. I'm also a Sharp user, C3200, the rom works well for my needs, and very stable.
So there's some sort of life out there.

Greets

P.D.

Happy 4th.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:11:32 am by jocasmi »
SL-C3200 Sharp Rom, Meanie's X/QT and Pocket Workstation
Wifi Linksys WCF12, SD 1GB Kingston (Ellite Pro)

SL-5500S Cacko Crow 30/30 home on SD
SD 1GB Kingston (the good one)
CF 1GB Kingston

Juanjo Santiso
Barcelona
EU

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 11:41:29 pm »
FWIW, I'm still here.....just been super busy at work lately as my boss bailed on me 2 months ago and I had to pick up the slack.... although just got promoted last week to my ol' boss's job, so that helps a bit...

Anyway, just flashed 2or0's new Andromeda/Debian ROM and it's a beaut!.....

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 02:30:07 am »
Hi guys!  I'm still around you know!  I was in a recent accident and just bothered taking care of myself.  I'm fine...........I think.  

Anyway, I still use my zaurus for pictures, games, movies, music when I jog!  It is so sturdy!  cacko rom was never completed and it crashes on occasions and backup is useless but I dont care since info is on the main drive and I can easily access it.  The on ly reason I use cacko is because the kernel can overclock the cpu and underclock it for life saving battery up to 8 hours or more.  Also, my medical library and the wikipidia I have in my device.

My device is very usefull but I don't play with configurations anymore since it is ....perfect!
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 02:31:54 am »
ohh--btw, I am on the ubuntuforums under the same name.  I run pure linux and windows for some old games.  I decided to go full linux and it has been an adventure.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:18 am »
I run pure Linux and WINE for some old games.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

Angelina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 05:16:29 am »
To be honest, nowadays I'm mostly using my C3200 as alarm clock, terminal and portable audio player. The latter is really important to me because I'm a music buff.

Angelina
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:46:36 am by Joshp »

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:28 am »
I still have my Zauruses, but they don't get used any more (batteries are pretty knackered now). I moved to the Nokia internet tablets, which are pretty cool, just waiting for the next gen tablet to come out with an omap3430 or similar. I'm working on a variety of things, but mainly DSP programming (SBC encoder, Vorbis decoder, MP3 decoder).

Cheers all

Simon
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

Snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:30 am »
Now that I'm kinda stuck to a desk job, I find myself using the c1000 lesser and lesser.  I do have a notebook running Ubuntu hardy so the consolation is that I'm into linux stuffs deeper than before.  I have another notebook in my room running Windows XP Pro, but I could easily switch to ubuntu just as well.

I'm keen to try out ubuntu on c1000 sometime.  Then I'm totally ubuntunized!

I do have a eeepc 701 which is running ubuntu as well.  Strangely, like the c1000, it is not getting much love these days.  
I hate the THICK bezel ... *sigh* ...
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

Mickeyl

• View Profile
    • http://www.Vanille.de
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 06:56:39 pm »
Still here, but not very frequently. All my Zaurus models are boxed so that they don't gather dust. Openmoko has kept me more busy than I have ever expected. Still doing lots of work on OpenEmbedded, which has become really huge.
Cheers,

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | Embedded Linux Freelancer | www.Vanille-Media.de
Consider donating, if you like the software I contribute to.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 04:00:33 pm »
I'm still here too. I think one "problem" with the Z is that the hardware is very well known*, so most of the steps these days are evolutionary rather than revolutionary (android being the latter), and so in one sense most things that could be done *have* been done.

people still find new and interesting ways to do stuff, like the Quasar media player.

one other thing we have to remember is that this forum is very rich in information, so nearly every question you could ask has been answered here already!

the 6000 is perhaps the exception, in particular its video hardware which is a bit of an undiscovered country.

* e.g. the oz/angstrom kernel gave us a very good base for those who want to work closer to the cutting edge of linux.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.