Author Topic: Pivot Head Wobblyness  (Read 5344 times)

Tomoe

• View Profile
Pivot Head Wobblyness
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:41:59 pm »
Hello all

For a long time, ever since I dropped it once, my zaurus' screen mechanism was a bit wobbly.
Nothing that would prevent me from using it, but it finally got on my nerves and I decided to fix
it now. Could anyone give me some advice/pointers?
BTW, the wobblyness is not in the screen lifting but the screen rotating part, so the screen panel moves
a few mm to the sides when in portrait mode (only if I push it with my finger, not on its own).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:11:04 am by Tomoe »

JohnX

• View Profile
    • http://
Pivot Head Wobblyness
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:33:12 am »
First thing to do would be to make sure that all external screws are tight enough (not *too* tight!). If you put the zaurus in "laptop mode" then turn the screen 90 degrees from there you can see two screws on the hinge. Tighten those if they need it.
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Linux 2.6.22 - Angstrom/Debian dual boot - Ambicom 802.11b - 1GB Corsair SD
Nokia N800 - 2GB PQI SD card
Zaurus SL-5500 - OZ 3.5.3/Hentges T2/Opie - 64MB Lexar SD card

Tomoe

• View Profile
Pivot Head Wobblyness
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:13:41 pm »
Quote from: JohnX
First thing to do would be to make sure that all external screws are tight enough (not *too* tight!). If you put the zaurus in "laptop mode" then turn the screen 90 degrees from there you can see two screws on the hinge. Tighten those if they need it.
Thanks for the reply!
Checked those already, they are tight alright!

deluxe

• View Profile
Pivot Head Wobblyness
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »
I tightened those same screws in my c1000. Didn't do a darned thing.

I can't see any easy fix for what we want though, without some disassembly.
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pivot Head Wobblyness
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
I'd have thought some very careful disassembly and use of some "araldite" to stiffen any internal plastics would help.

My old laptop which became wifes had a dodgy hinge, the plastic had cracked. I rebuilt most of the corner of the laptop casing using layers of araldite and it was stronger than new when I finished.

be sure to use lots of masking tape on the zaurus' external plastic if you do start messing around with glues, any smudges and it will spoil the finish.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.