Author Topic: Where would you like to see pdaXrom go?  (Read 9577 times)

grey_moon

• View Profile
Where would you like to see pdaXrom go?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 10:30:34 am »
Don\'t think they are combining them, maybe SuSE for servers and Ximian for desktops...

http://www.novell.com/linux/xd2.html

http://www.novell.com/linux/netware.html

My collegues and I have been trying to sneak linux in the back door for ages, now Novell do it for us
SL_5600 with Sharp ROM 1.32 - Windows XP Pro
AmbiCom 802.11b CF WL1100C, Pretec CompactBT Bluetooth CF, Hagiwara 256MB SD Card
Expansys Black Chairmans Case, ShirtPocket Battery Extender, ShirtPocket Retractable USB Sync/Charger

ChrisEBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 11:03:53 am »
ChrisEBoy, just for interest which JVM do you use?

The blackdown arm port, for compiling I use Kopi, I\'ve made a little java app that calls kopi to do compiling so the JVM isn\'t loaded each time a compile is done.  It shaves a few seconds off each compile.  It\'s only 1.3.1 at the moment but it\'s sufficient for now.  

Hopefully they\'ll get 1.4.X ported too.  I\'d love to get my hands on that :-)
Chris

zxerx

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 09:14:02 pm »
I think pdaXrom is absolutely on the right track. The QT environment is nice and simple for casual users, but lets face it, most of us are power users and want/need an X environment.

The biggest problem with the QT environment is software - there\'s precious little out there that\'s worth using. The promise of an X environment is the vast pool of high quality software that already exists.

Two things I would like to see that would make me switch over to pdaXrom permanently:

1) A complete overhaul of ipkg - I don\'t think it is robust enough to support a full blown unix distribution with the massive amount of software and dependencies out there.

2) a well designed and maintained package distribution system (I know it\'s early days, but having all packages in a single web page isn\'t going to work for long). IMHO the sucess of Debian is in it\'s package distribution system.

3) Ok, one more thing - QT application support  I think this would seal the deal even for casual users.
[span style=\'font-size:7pt;line-height:100%\']Zaurus SL-C760 :: pdaXrom 1.0.5 :: Toshiba 512Mb SD :: Hagiwara 256Mb 10Mbit/s SD :: PQI 256Mb 40x CF :: Socket Low Power 10Mb/s Ethernet CF :: Seano WiFi CF :: Xircom 56k Modem CF[/span]

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2004, 11:41:51 pm »
3) Ok, one more thing - QT application support  I think this would seal the deal even for casual users.

I thought it did have QT support?
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

Reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2004, 01:19:36 am »
Well, console programs, like Minicom or Links, usually work. But graphical do not.

zxerx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2004, 09:10:31 am »

What I meant was support for QT Embedded (ie: libqpe). In other words, the ability to run software built for the \"normal\" zaurus environment.

There\'s only one app I really need - FreeNoteQT. When I tried to run it under pdaXrom, it complained about libqpe, which of course I lost when I flashed the X11 rom. If I copy libqpe accross though, would apps which use this library run under pdaXrom??
[span style=\'font-size:7pt;line-height:100%\']Zaurus SL-C760 :: pdaXrom 1.0.5 :: Toshiba 512Mb SD :: Hagiwara 256Mb 10Mbit/s SD :: PQI 256Mb 40x CF :: Socket Low Power 10Mb/s Ethernet CF :: Seano WiFi CF :: Xircom 56k Modem CF[/span]

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2004, 11:21:12 am »

What I meant was support for QT Embedded (ie: libqpe). In other words, the ability to run software built for the \"normal\" zaurus environment.

There\'s only one app I really need - FreeNoteQT. When I tried to run it under pdaXrom, it complained about libqpe, which of course I lost when I flashed the X11 rom. If I copy libqpe accross though, would apps which use this library run under pdaXrom??

A combined QT/X11 rom would solve that, I\'ve just spent the weekend playing with pdaXrom, I\'d love to switch but I cannot manage without Qtopia, I find Hancom Word fast and simple, it does what I need fast, Abiword is too slow and bloated, I like my video at 320x240 fullscreen, I like to be able to develop on the Z rather than on a separate machine.

Maybe one day....
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

gromituk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2004, 06:40:17 am »
So do I gather that copying libqpe over from the original ROM (how can I get hold of it now I've changed over?) won't allow all these apps that complain about lack of libqpe to magically start working?  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 06:41:53 am by gromituk »

phillvs

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 01:41:19 pm »
Where would I like to see it go......??

I love pdaXrom, but unfortunately I can't get it to run properly so that probably answers the question. I want it to get better support with how-to's and docs

As far as my needs are concerned. It still has to be a pda so I need excellent pda type software such as an address book and diary. I also need good quality business software like spreadsheets and wordprocessors and simple databases. From this point of view KoPi and gnumeric (although I can't get it to work) are getting there, but more are needed. How about a program to read, organise and write my mobile phone numbers through the IR port.

And, of course how about printing. If the X11 programs ported to this rom support printing (as most will) then supporting printing throught the operating sustem with CUPS say should be OK shouldn't it?

An interim measure will be to use xqt (haven't got this working yet either). That way I can have the environment of the cacko rom (say) with the pda applications and the X11 apps also. Eventually, with enough apps then the pdaXrom will stand on its own (of course the other way would be to run pdaXrom that supports qtopia but you get the point)

So, I want the simple needs of pda software such as diary, address book, database, spreadsheet and wordprocessor. They must sync with the desktop software, preferably BE the same software (hence Ko/Pi etc.).

I want multimedia so that I can view my digital photos on it and keep pictures of my family stored on it (better than keeping pictures in my wallet) I want to be able to use it as a scribble pad with the screen in portrait or notebook mode. View a few short AVI's

I want comprehensive network support so that I can browse the internet, e-mail and print etc through the network.

Thats most things, but I can surely think of more if pushed. I know it is all asking too much but this is what you should be aiming for otherwise the project will fail through lack of support as M$ and Palm better provides what the average punter wants from a pda. Mainstream Linux (SuSE/Redhat etc) have only obtained appeal to the greater public because of ease of use and  ease of installation and by providing a wealth of applications. If all of those applications could be ported, simply and efficiently to the pdaXrom I am sure it will flourish.

I have had to abandon the pdaXrom for now because of its defficiences but I am looking forward to re-installing it when the next one comes out. With a bit of luck and help I hope to get it working  next time.

Have just donated $50 to the team to help them along. Will look in again in a few days time.
Phill

Using:
C860 with pdaXrom
5600 with theKompany Rom