Author Topic: Openbsd 5.4  (Read 15047 times)

TronDD

• View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:52 pm »
Look at post 11.  I built rxvt and it does not have the V problem.  I was also able to build it without issue.

If a port dies at some point, it doesn't start over when you run it again.  It checks, but will find it's place and start where it left off.  Yes, I've built a few things.  I am finding other broken ports, too, though.  Trying to work around cmake right now.

There might be a way to fetch everything at the start.  Not sure.  I don't think OBSD ports is as sophisticated as other ports systems (I used to run Gentoo linux which was very [almost overly] feature-filled).  You have to get it to descend into each dependency, and check those dependencies, and so on to fetch everything.

Tim.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:14 pm »
Quote from: TronDD
Yeah, you can just run make install directly.  I like to have the break in there so after days of compiling I can see what gets added when I run install.

By the way, I built rxvt to use in place of xterm and it does not have a problem with the v key.

Tim.

Thanks for explaining about make.....

Glad to hear you got rxvt built and it types the v key!!

Will give it another try....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 09:56:43 pm »
Look at post 11.  I built rxvt and it does not have the V problem.  I was also able to build it without issue.

Excellent news!  

Will try making rxvt again....

If a port dies at some point, it doesn't start over when you run it again.  It checks, but will find it's place and start where it left off.  Yes, I've built a few things.  I am finding other broken ports, too, though.  Trying to work around cmake right now.

Thanks for explaining.....

Have a feeling that cmake may have been one of the issues in trying to make the app 'taskwarrior'....a great little commandline task management app...see taskwarrior.org if you want see more about it....

There might be a way to fetch everything at the start.  Not sure.  I don't think OBSD ports is as sophisticated as other ports systems (I used to run Gentoo linux which was very [almost overly] feature-filled).  You have to get it to descend into each dependency, and check those dependencies, and so on to fetch everything.

Tim.

Would be great if it could fetch everthing needed at start...that way you'd know if everything is available and gets downloaded plus you don't have to have Zaurus connected to the internet for long periods of time while making package....

Thanks,

Mark
MacBookPro

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 12:43:26 pm »
Tried making roxterm again.....

Went OK for a long time, but then I got error 1 messages again.....

Scrolled up to see what was going on....there's a bunch of messages like this one above the error 1 messages:

Code: [Select]
===> Checking files for gtk+-3.10.7
>> Fetch http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/gtk+/3.10/gtk+-3.10.7.tar.xz
ftp: no address associated with name: ftp.acc.umu.se

....same error messages, but with about 10 different repos....

Best way to deal with this kind of error?....

Thanks,

Mark
MacBookPro

TronDD

• View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »
Hmm...that link works for me.  Looks like a DNS problem.  Had your internet on at the time?

You could find and manually download the file and put it into /usr/ports/distfiles.  The ports makefile will find it there.

It occurred to me, you should have installed 5.4 so we could share compiled packages and didn't have to duplicate effort (and time!).

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
Hmm...that link works for me.  Looks like a DNS problem.  Had your internet on at the time?

Yep, made sure of that this time....but for some unknown reason, I seem to have 'erratic quality' connection with my DSL service.....been thinking of changing to cable service....

You could find and manually download the file and put it into /usr/ports/distfiles.  The ports makefile will find it there.

Thanks for the tip.....

It occurred to me, you should have installed 5.4 so we could share compiled packages and didn't have to duplicate effort (and time!).

Ummm......you're right!!!.....didn't think about that.....OK, will install 5.4 tomorrow, how's that?......  
MacBookPro

TronDD

• View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Ummm......you're right!!!.....didn't think about that.....OK, will install 5.4 tomorrow, how's that?......  

If you're willing to.  I'd upgrade to the 5.5 snapshot but there are no prebuilt arm packages we can try to use if necessary from what I have found.  The arm packages don't always work it seems, but it's a nice option to have.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »

If you're willing to.  I'd upgrade to the 5.5 snapshot but there are no prebuilt arm packages we can try to use if necessary from what I have found.  The arm packages don't always work it seems, but it's a nice option to have.

OpenBSD 5.4

No worries....installed 5.4 this morning....getting pretty good at installing now....

Nano

Just finished making nano again....works OK.....

Share Packages

So, how should we share packages? Is rxvt for example small enough to email it to me?

If so, I can PM you my email address....

Otherwise, best way to share is?....

List of Packages to Build

To avoid building the same packages, let's list what packages we've built or plan to build...like this:

Built: Nano

Plan to Build: taskwarrior, libreoffice (or other similar programs such as abiword, gnumeric, etc...), wget, dillo....

Thanks!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:56:40 pm by ArchiMark »
MacBookPro

TronDD

• View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
I'd have to check the sizes.  They are pretty small but you need all the dependencies, too.  The best thing would be a web site somewhere we could use as a package repo so OBSD can resolve the dependencies.

I don't have web space, though.  I guess we can just trade back and forth and each set up our own repo or just dump them into /usr/ports/packages on the Z.  Maybe a github site, if they allow that sort of thing.  If nothing else, looks like this forum allows up to 50M in attachment space...

I've specifically built:
wmii <- window manager
rxvt
dillo
git
vim no_x11
fldigi <- ham radio software, crashes on the Z
links+

Want to build:
xombrero or some other webkit based browser.
Something for IRC, irssi maybe.

Shoot me a PM, we'll figure out how to trade packages.

teh.sean

• View Profile
    • http://
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 12:11:20 am »
Quote from: mathemajikian
SL-C3200 is still supported on OpenBSD. I'm currently running version 5.4 on my Zaurus with zero issues.

What's your use case for the Z? Is it always on, chillin' on a desk? My experience so far has been a little different, but I suspect we're trying different things.

teh.sean

• View Profile
    • http://
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:28 am »
Plan to Build: taskwarrior, libreoffice (or other similar programs such as abiword, gnumeric, etc...), wget, dillo....

Woah, libreoffice will take FOREVER to build. I noticed in your sig you have two SLCs. If you wanted, you could probably have one on a laptop cooler just building packages all day and the other one in 'normal use'.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Openbsd 5.4
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »
Quote from: teh.sean
Quote from: mathemajikian
SL-C3200 is still supported on OpenBSD. I'm currently running version 5.4 on my Zaurus with zero issues.

What's your use case for the Z? Is it always on, chillin' on a desk? My experience so far has been a little different, but I suspect we're trying different things.

Sorry for the belated reply.... but have not been receiving reply notification emails from OESF anymore....

As for case for the Z's....one came with a Targus pouch case with cover flap (velcro closure), hard to read the tag inside, but think it is model CHUS01. Fits the 3200 nicely....

I have PDAir clamshell leather case for the 3100 with small strap snap closure. Works great.

Generally, I don't leave Z's on unless I'm using them.....

Quote from: teh.sean

Woah, libreoffice will take FOREVER to build. I noticed in your sig you have two SLCs. If you wanted, you could probably have one on a laptop cooler just building packages all day and the other one in 'normal use'.

Yes, now that I've had some build experience, agree that libreoffice would be crazy to build on Z......

Thanks for the cooler tip!.....
MacBookPro