Author Topic: New pdaXrom installer (to have just Root partition)  (Read 31253 times)

ScottYelich

• View Profile
    • http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?opmodload&namephpWiki&filei
New pdaXrom installer (to have just Root partition)
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2004, 10:47:28 am »
yup NM as in new mexico...

-B
where in NM?   I lived in Santa Fe for 10 years... just moved to NYC in 2001.

Scott

ericwerk

• View Profile
    • http://www.elefantelegante.org
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2004, 04:23:29 am »
thnx zazz and ashley
<hr>
860, 256 MB PNY CF, 1 GIGA PQY CF, 512MB SANDISK SD, 802.11b CF
Gentoo, MacosX

donspinelakemed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pinelakemed.com/
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 05:19:33 am »
Has any one tried this on a C700?
I would try it myself, but do not want to take a chance of bricking my Z.

Magellan

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2004, 05:14:02 pm »
Hello all, I am new to Linux and have a CL-750 about 6 months old.  I have read this entire post and I am still confused.  I want to get the latest ROM updates and want to start to learn Linux, but am not sure where to start.  In the d/l section there are several ROM's available.  How do I know which one to use?  My current ROM is 1.10 JP. Hopefully since I am new I get 30 days of free stupid questions?????

I also posted in the newbie section.

Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2004, 02:13:19 pm »
Has any one tried this on a C700?

Nobody reported it    

I would try it myself, but do not want to take a chance of bricking my Z.

I think the installer is mature. None has claimed about it  . And it takes very care before doing anything. Yourself. Also, I can mail you the testing tool, useful to check if everything is sane.

I want to get the latest ROM updates and want to start to learn Linux, but am not sure where to start.

I suggest you to try other apps & roms to get practice. pdaXrom isn't hard, nor is my simple modified installer, but they are *not* targeted to Linux newbies
c760 pdaXrom & zdebian (on SD)
256MB SD, 16MB CF, Prism 2.5 Wifi CF
Athlon XP
Debian sarge, Gentoo 1.4, RedHat 9, FreeBSD 5.1, xp

ikm

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2004, 05:26:30 pm »
Hello all, I am new to Linux and have a CL-750 about 6 months old.  I have read this entire post and I am still confused.  I want to get the latest ROM updates and want to start to learn Linux, but am not sure where to start.  In the d/l section there are several ROM's available.  How do I know which one to use?  My current ROM is 1.10 JP. Hopefully since I am new I get 30 days of free stupid questions?????

I also posted in the newbie section.
Well, in short, to get you started: there are a variety of roms, and they include:

1) the original SHARP rom, several versions available (just use the latest). That's a rom that comes with the device preinstalled, and it is the only official rom for the Zaurus. It is based on the Qtopia environment, which is made for the mobile devices and is not used on the regular desktop linux installations. There are many third-party programs available for it. Unfortunately, as the most mainstream linux software was not made for the qtopia, it is not feasible to run that software on this rom.

2) several flavours of the modified SHARP rom. They differ in the number of packages preinstalled, fonts and other stuff. All software for the original rom will work on these ones.

3) the OpenZaurus rom, based on the opie environment.  Opie environment is based on the qtopia codebase, but has its own paths of evolution. To put it short and stupid, the OpenZaurus rom is an effort to create something that barely resembles the original SHARP rom, but with the open source license. This openness means that all the source codes are freely available for distribution and modifications.

4) this pdaXrom project. Unlike all other roms, the idea here is to turn the Zaurus to the linux subnotebook. It runs X server for graphics (hence the name), and all graphical applications are the regular X clients. This is the most important thing about it, as all regular linux desktops work the same way. This has great merits, as it makes possible to run the majority of all desktop applications on the Zaurus effortlessly, taking account of the device limitations and subtleties, of course (3.7" 640x480 screen, touchscreen instead of mouse etc). The only thing that is needed in order to get a program running is a mere recompilation, maybe with some tweaks.

5) Debian on Zaurus projects, there are several. Also Gentoo for Zaurus. The idea is to run these regular linux distributions on the Zaurus. As these distributions are not tailored for this task, the whole experience is quite extreme to say the least, suitable for the geekish soft of people only

So you have a variety of options to choose from. If you want to learn linux, pdaxrom seems to be quite adequate. But it certainly is not for neebies. On the other hand, in case you have been using the device for 6 months already, maybe it is a time to give it a try? It is you who decide
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 09:10:44 pm by ikm »

scoutme

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2004, 07:27:37 pm »
can we post a "summa" of the "just root" setup?

files needed, instructions, for c860 and other zaurii.

I'm a bit confused

jthomas12

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2004, 04:56:02 am »
Is it possible to get the mtdtest.sh?

John

Ashley

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2004, 04:23:06 pm »
Quick post  

I've put vanished stuff here.

First of all, you can use testing tool (mtdparts_test.tar.gz). Just decompress into your running rom and exec ./test/mtdtest.sh. Report any problem or success.

If testing is ok, you should be able to use modified installer. Follow the instructions from pdaxrom site to prepare your flash card. Before rebooting your z, put files from new installer to your root dir of your flash card (overwrite updater.sh). Reboot in maintenance mode, as told by pdaxrom. Patch mtdparts with 2n option "NAND Flash repartition: only Root". If you have a 750 you should also update maintenance kernel. Reboot in maintenance mode. Install new rom with option 1. Reboot. Voilà.

The only known issue is with some 860s, wich are intermediate versions between 760s and later 860s. If it's your case (testing and new_installer-0.3.tar.gz will safely warn) you should use new-installer-fixed.tar.gz.

I think it's all
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 04:32:44 pm by Ashley »
c760 pdaXrom & zdebian (on SD)
256MB SD, 16MB CF, Prism 2.5 Wifi CF
Athlon XP
Debian sarge, Gentoo 1.4, RedHat 9, FreeBSD 5.1, xp

scoutme

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2004, 07:15:44 am »
nice feed Ash

anyway, you can give those files to pdaXrom crew to let them integrate your procedures with the installation they will release. In this way the new pdaXrom user will immediatly see the possibility of a "just root" setup, without the need of reflashing after your thread/feed/files discovery

nianderson

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:51 am »
hum for some reason it keeps comming up as pdaxrom 1.0.0  what am i doing wrong?

ikm

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2004, 04:08:46 pm »
hum for some reason it keeps comming up as pdaxrom 1.0.0  what am i doing wrong?
You're likely doing everything right, as the pdaXrom 1.0.5 still advertises itself as 1.0.0 (the version number was forgotten to be increased). Check if the on-the-fly rotation works -- if it does, you've got 1.0.5, cause the autorotation was introduced in 1.0.5

nianderson

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2004, 04:40:38 pm »
ah indeed it is true.
Thanks for writing that, its nice having all that space to play with while i get used to my 860 and figure out exactly what apps i want installed.

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2004, 05:17:07 pm »
Ok, guys, i need your help...

I have messed up my c750 so i have to reflash it, and i will soon leave home for my hollidays, so i'm not sure i'll be able to wait until next pdaxrom release... Yet i want to use this wonderfull one partition script but i am not sure about this step :

If you have a 750 you should also update maintenance kernel. Reboot in maintenance mode.

Can someone help me ? I would really need a step by step help as i don't understand anything to the japanese menu...  

Thanks in advance.

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2004, 07:21:14 am »
ok, sorry, i'm just stuuuuuuuuuuuupid...

nothing had to be done in the japanese menu except the normal procedure for reflashing...

The all updating and repartitioning thing comes in english with the rom installation procedure, so it is really not big a deal.

Ashley : your tool is WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!! No install pb, no disfunctioning, no bug... i have a C750 and i flashed pdaxrom 1.0.5 that has now 58 368 ko to run... Thank you !!!!!