Author Topic: Sdl With Directfb Packages  (Read 13815 times)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
Sdl With Directfb Packages
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 05:44:09 pm »
Quote from: danboid
Good news daal!

Do you need fusion to have DFB on one VT and a regular console on another?

What do you want to use DFB Fusion for exactly? The the Z even got enough RAM to run more than one interesting DFB app at once?

If I don't do it tonight I'll try the latest kernel out in the next few days.

Yes, you can run multiple DirectFB apps at a time on the Z, for example a couple of dfbterm's and launching Links2 with directfb support at the same time.
Once I got more apps compiled I will post them. This was just an update for the 4.4.0 series kernel so I can start compiling apps with fusion support.
DFB on one VT and a normal console on anther can be tricky, it should work but I will need to test with the new build DirectFB first.

Example of multiple apps running using DirectFB back-end : https://www.flickr.com/photos/avengermojo/82461698
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:48:20 pm by daalnroti »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

DiTBho

• View Profile
Re: Sdl With Directfb Packages
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 11:09:39 am »
hi
I am working on my old gentoo 2010 stage4, and I'd like to add DirectFB to my overlay.
Is there any repository? I need sources, and patches.

Any news since 2015/2016?

let me know, this topic is awesome  :D

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 10:53:00 pm »
hi
I am working on my old gentoo 2010 stage4, and I'd like to add DirectFB to my overlay.
Is there any repository? I need sources, and patches.

Any news since 2015/2016?

let me know, this topic is awesome  :D

The OP in this thread had the patches included in the PKBUILD archive for Arch Linux ARM as attachments.

The PKBUILD also contains links to sources. I am sure you can make a .ebuild from that.
There are also older .ebuild for DirectFB still floating around in the internet despite that Gentoo has abandoned DirectFB.

Since DirectFB is no longer maintained for several years now I am not sure the directfb-fusion kernel module still compiles and works. Its not required, but would allow to run multiple DirectFB based application at the same time.

Sources can also be found here https://github.com/deniskropp/linux-fusion for this module. Not sure this is the latest version though as it may have been forked.

You may need to test some older DirectFB versions for 2.6 kernels, but it should be very possible to get it to work in Gentoo.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

DiTBho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:09 am »
Basically three Overlays
  • Gentoo Overlay 2010, kernel 2.6.24, target=Zaurus PDA {C1k,C3K}, video=/dev/fb0
  • Gentoo Overlay 2017, kernel 4.11.0, target=PPC32 embedded SBC, video=MDA
  • Gentoo Overlay 2021, kernel 5.11, target=Arm7 Personal PDA project, video=defiolcd

usbdefiolcd is an hardware project I am working at for a Personal PDA made around the H2 chip, a LCD panel, and an FPGA. I will need to write a kernel module ... a new experience for me, never done anything similar before. We will see.

Directfb for the Gentoo Overlay 2010 is almost complete

Code: [Select]
2021-01-31--18-03-26---2021-01-31--19-41-35 - [ Overlay::dev-libs/DirectFB ] - success - dev2.19.1/4.4.3

I can try to adapt it for the Overlay 2017 and Overlay 2021. Directfb was dropped in 2015, and things have changed a lot in 11 years.