Author Topic: How To Compile Hostap Driver  (Read 7003 times)

fourier

• View Profile
How To Compile Hostap Driver
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:07:37 am »
Hi,

I'm trying to compile hostap to upgrade my CF Dlink 660W Wifi card according to these instructions: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
since the firmware I have on this card is too old doesn't support wpa.

Is where any description how to do it ? particularly interested in PCMCIA_CS path I have to specify in order to build this driver.
I've tried to compile it pointing to the kernel sources 2.4.19 from pdaxrom beta1 feed, able to compile, install the driver via insmod, but prism2_srec failed to run indicating prism2 not found

So probably I did something wrong. Could someone guide me how to do it in a proper way (I haven't compiled kernel modules for like 12 years).

fourier

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:24:05 pm »
Or alternatively I want just buy the CF Wifi with support for WPA2 which works with pdaXrom  Anyone ?

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:19:51 pm »
Quote from: fourier
Hi,

I'm trying to compile hostap to upgrade my CF Dlink 660W Wifi card according to these instructions: http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

Is where any description how to do it ? particularly interested in PCMCIA_CS path I have to specify in order to build this driver.
I've tried to compile it pointing to the kernel sources 2.4.19 from pdaxrom beta1 feed, able to compile, install the driver via insmod, but prism2_srec failed to run indicating prism2 not found

So probably I did something wrong. Could someone guide me how to do it in a proper way (I haven't compiled kernel modules for like 12 years).
Just curious: why are you trying to compile hostap? I vaguely remember that at least pdaxii13 had it already preinstalled, but I might be wrong. Also, you have probably already checked this, but is the Wifi card correctly detected by the system (via dmesg) once you plug it in? Does the card work under other ROMs, such as Cacko/Angstrom?

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

fourier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:04:11 pm »
The problem is what while the card is detected, its firmware doesn't support WPA. From the site I've mentioned below I was able to determine which version of the firmware has to be used. But in order to install the firmware, the hostap should be compiled with special flag (which was not the case in the version from pdaXii13).
Alternatively I could try to update the firmware using Windows, but I cannot find the usb-cf connector which will allow to detect CF-Wifi card. The trivial USB Cardreader doesn't allow Windows to detect it. So I'm stuck without working wifi

Quote from: Varti
Hi,

Just curious: why are you trying to compile hostap? I vaguely remember that at least pdaxii13 had it already preinstalled, but I might be wrong. Also, you have probably already checked this, but is the Wifi card correctly detected by the system (via dmesg) once you plug it in? Does the card work under other ROMs, such as Cacko/Angstrom?

Varti

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
The problem is what while the card is detected, its firmware doesn't support WPA. From the site I've mentioned below I was able to determine which version of the firmware has to be used. But in order to install the firmware, the hostap should be compiled with special flag (which was not the case in the version from pdaXii13).
Alternatively I could try to update the firmware using Windows, but I cannot find the usb-cf connector which will allow to detect CF-Wifi card. The trivial USB Cardreader doesn't allow Windows to detect it. So I'm stuck without working wifi
What a mess... too bad the hostap's authors didn't think to implement the activation of the flashing procedure via an external config file, instead of relying to a compiler's flag :/

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:45:57 am »
Hi,

Hi fourier,

Currently the ArchLinux ARM port for C3x00 Zaurus does have Dlink 660W support via HOSTAP and should support WPA2 via wpasupplicant.

If you like to try ArchLinux ARM, please let me know as the instructions may be outdated by now. Keep  in mind not all features are working with ArchLinux ARM at the moment.

pdaXrom is too outdated to be supported for new compiles of modules. It can be done and actually I did use my Dlink 660W in pdaXrom many years ago using WPA(?).

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:47:38 am by greguu »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)