Author Topic: A Question About The Win's Keyboard  (Read 4108 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A Question About The Win's Keyboard
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:55:22 am »
Hi,

I'd like to ask a question to all of you Win users: how confortable is the keyboard to type on it? On my Akita, I can type on it normally (albeit slowly) without having to check that I have not accidentally pressed any of the nearby keys. I have in the past written entire documents on it. On the Win however, from what I have seen on the videos and from the comments, you need to type using the tip (or the side) of the fingers, since the keys are not big enough and not distanced from each other to allow typing with the full finger. Since I'll probably use the keyboard of my next clamshell a lot, I'm now more inclined to wait for the Gemini rather than get a Win, since I have seen that its keyboard has fewer, and thus much bigger keys, and it seems to be much more suited for frequent typing.

Can anybody confirm this?

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:30 pm »
Hi Varti,

Best way I can describe the WIN's keyboard and typing experience is to make the analogy to typing on a BlackBerry mobile phone. Did you have ever have or use one?

Very similar feel of clicking on the little keys. A relatively firm click of the keys is needed. Very different than typing on most laptop keys/keyboards.

Works OK, but not the best keyboard if you want to type more than some short phrases or a few sentences.

If typing and keyboard experience is a main concern, I'd definitely go with either the Gemini or GPD Pocket. Both will be much better/comfortable typing experiences.

Just my 2 cents as we say over here....

Mark

PS.  I'm debating whether to get a Gemini or Pocket myself......each has their own advantages.....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:53 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Best way I can describe the WIN's keyboard and typing experience is to make the analogy to typing on a BlackBerry mobile phone. Did you have ever have or use one?
Yes, my company's phone is an old Blackberry Bold 9780 one. I prefer its QWERTY keyboard over any virtual one, but I'd find it to be too unconfortable on a clamshell: on my Blackberry, each time I press a key I have to pay attention that I'm not pressing any other key. On my personal phone it's even worse, BTW, with its tiny 2.8 inches display I often press a wrong key. I'll maybe try to find an alternative keyboard app with fewer and bigger keys.

Very similar feel of clicking on the little keys. A relatively firm click of the keys is needed. Very different than typing on most laptop keys/keyboards.
Works OK, but not the best keyboard if you want to type more than some short phrases or a few sentences.
If typing and keyboard experience is a main concern, I'd definitely go with either the Gemini or GPD Pocket. Both will be much better/comfortable typing experiences.
Ok, it's as I thought. Thanks for the info.

PS. I'm debating whether to get a Gemini or Pocket myself......each has their own advantages....
Apart for the keyboard, size is also a major concern for me, and the Gemini is smaller than the Pocket, although it's not as small as I would have liked though. I'd suggest you to choose which features you'd need the most, and make your choice basing on that.

Regarding the Gemini with the LTE module, I'm wondering if it would be possible to use it as a phone under Linux too, or if you'd have to switch to Android every time. Is there any software for Linux which interfaces with an 3G/LTE module and handles the voice calls and SMSes? Failing that, Minicom can be used to send AT commands for the calls

Varti
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:47:20 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 09:21:41 am »
You are welcome....

If you want smaller device and are OK with a typing experience more like a Zaurus C3xxx keyboard but with a bit larger keys, than perhaps you would like the upcoming Pyra (successor to the Pandora).

I had a Pandora for a while and it was pretty nice and the Pyra should be a lot better all they way around.

I don't know much about making calls from Linux....

And thank you for your input about making a selection between devices. I find it is always easier to help someone else to decide what to do than to make a decision for myself....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/