Author Topic: Zaurus Sl-c1000 On Sale On Craigslist, Sf Area  (Read 7185 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Zaurus Sl-c1000 On Sale On Craigslist, Sf Area
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:50 am »
Just found this interesting Zaurus on sale on Craigslist, btw I'm not affiliated in any way with the seller, just in case anyone from the San Francisco area is interested:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/6099684355.html

Varti
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:38:35 pm by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:06 am »
Ah, the infamous weeXpc!  It is a commercial version pdaxii13 that Daniel3000 used to sell through his website.  It caused a bit drama with some on the pdaXrom dev team.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:28 pm »
I'm in the SF Bay Area....so, interesting to see this little Z....not sure I need it as I have my 3200....with 32GB CF drive in it.....

I picked a 3200 a few years ago that had weeXpc on it.....

Ran quite well, other than fact that it was out of date, especially, browser-wise....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:07:23 am »
Thanksfully, as I read all the doubts regarding it were at the end sorted out, once all the sources were made available for download. weeXpc has become freeware in the meanwhile, I have now mailed Daniel to ask him for a copy of this distro, I'd like to try it out. I have also asked him if he'd be interested in mirroring it here.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:41 am »
Sounds good, Varti.......

Have found Daniel to be a very nice and helpful guy in the past.

Mark
MacBookPro

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:02 am »
I can confirm that, ArchiMark, he has replied me and allowed me to host the archive, plus he'll put the sources online too, he indeed sound like a nice guy.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:43:38 am »
Great, Varti....

Now if we could get an up to date version of it, we'd be all set....

Mark
MacBookPro

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:18:10 am »
It would be great, but unfortunately weeXpc is now unsupported since some years, and I'm not sure Daniel would be interested to resume its development. He's anyway interested to know how's the forum doing lately, I'll suggest him to stop by here for a quick greeting

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:08 pm »
Quote from: Varti
It would be great, but unfortunately weeXpc is now unsupported since some years, and I'm not sure Daniel would be interested to resume its development. He's anyway interested to know how's the forum doing lately, I'll suggest him to stop by here for a quick greeting

Varti

Thanks, Varti......

I was just joking about weeXpc being updated.

I know it won't happen at this point. As you say, it's been too many years.

Mark
MacBookPro

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »
That is great news.  WeeXpc/pdaxii13 along with Cacko were the most feature complete of all the Zaurus ROMs.  In fact WeeXpx/pdaxii13 really was the first distro for the Zaurus with all the polish that Meanie put into it.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

ToneBlind

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
Just found this interesting Zaurus on sale on Craigslist, btw I'm not affiliated in any way with the seller, just in case anyone from the San Francisco area is interested:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/6099684355.html

Varti
Thank you, Varti. I couldn't believe my luck when I contacted the seller last week, as this was still available.

I made the trip to SF, and picked it up. I've been running the weeXpc installation, but I think I'm going to install my customized pdaXii13 build, which I made a NAND backup of.

The problem with weeXpc in the SL-C1000 as I see it is that it uses a partition in the SD card as swap, and I've been getting issues (input/output errors and so forth) while I was playing music from it. Also, the WM (I believe it is LXDE) is too heavyweight compared to fluxbox, which is what I was running. The machine is in beautiful condition though. The seller was nice enough to add a bunch of extras as well.

Let me know about the possibility of hosting those feed backups I told you about in the other thread.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:45:25 pm by Varti »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 04:55:40 am »
I'm glad that my post has been useful to you. Lately most of the Zaurus stuff can be only found on japanese auction sites, so it's nice to find stuff that can be picked up locally. I'll post more similar ads (outside Amazon/Ebay) from American or European sellers in the future as soon as I find them, especially those who allow for local pickups.

Regarding weeXpc, FluxBox is indeed more indicated for a low specced device like the Zaurus. The problem with the swap memory is that it is almost necessary for most recent applications (especially on Arch Linux ARM) to overcome the 64MB RAM limit, but on the other side it quickly kills any SD/CF card since they have not been designed to handle that many read/write operations. An ideal solution would be an SSD to CF adapter, to connect an SSD disk to it and use it for the swap partition. Looks like I'm not the only one with this idea:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5470.475

The USB port can be also used, of course, but AFAIR it is slower than the internal CF port.

Varti
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:56:19 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

ToneBlind

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
I'm glad that my post has been useful to you. Lately most of the Zaurus stuff can be only found on japanese auction sites, so it's nice to find stuff that can be picked up locally. I'll post more similar ads (outside Amazon/Ebay) from American or European sellers in the future as soon as I find them, especially those who allow for local pickups.

Regarding weeXpc, FluxBox is indeed more indicated for a low specced device like the Zaurus. The problem with the swap memory is that it is almost necessary for most recent applications (especially on Arch Linux ARM) to overcome the 64MB RAM limit, but on the other side it quickly kills any SD/CF card since they have not been designed to handle that many read/write operations. An ideal solution would be an SSD to CF adapter, to connect an SSD disk to it and use it for the swap partition. Looks like I'm not the only one with this idea:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5470.475

The USB port can be also used, of course, but AFAIR it is slower than the internal CF port.

Varti
Yes, I am very grateful for your tip. I will do the same thing, and post in the forum if I find any Zaurus for sale online which I think is a good deal. The funny thing is that just a few weeks ago I had sent an offer to an eBay user which is selling an SL-C1000 for $300 (which I believe is abusive), for much less (but still more than the $50 I ended up paying for this one).

I hear you about the RAM limit. Fluxbox is incredibly efficient though, which adds to its usefulness for the Zaurus. In my configuration, I create a swap file whenever I need it. What I don't like about the weeXpc setup is that it is like that by default, so in order to remove the SD card you need to halt the system (in the SL-C1000). I think I have all that mapped out to some keyboard shortcuts, but I don't remember for certain, as it has been at least 3 years since I used my system last.

Quick question: Does the Zaurus write a lot to the area where the OS resides, or is that for the most part static? I seem to remember that when I configured my system I made an effort to eliminate writing of logs, storage of configuration files, etc in internal memory, in an effort to minimize the wear of internal memory, since once that goes the Zaurus would be pretty much a brick.

I really wish they had equipped these machines with internal wifi and bluetooth, as it really would have freed that CF slot to be used as a semi-permanent expansion drive, and the SD as removable media.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
Quote from: ToneBlind
Yes, I am very grateful for your tip. I will do the same thing, and post in the forum if I find any Zaurus for sale online which I think is a good deal. The funny thing is that just a few weeks ago I had sent an offer to an eBay user which is selling an SL-C1000 for $300 (which I believe is abusive), for much less (but still more than the $50 I ended up paying for this one).
It might be a NOS unit, inside a never opened box, but that price is still too high, considering the prices on places like the japanese Yahoo Auctions...

I hear you about the RAM limit. Fluxbox is incredibly efficient though, which adds to its usefulness for the Zaurus. In my configuration, I create a swap file whenever I need it. What I don't like about the weeXpc setup is that it is like that by default, so in order to remove the SD card you need to halt the system (in the SL-C1000). I think I have all that mapped out to some keyboard shortcuts, but I don't remember for certain, as it has been at least 3 years since I used my system last.
You can use the swapoff command to free the SD card, but still it's not that practical to do that everytime.

Quick question: Does the Zaurus write a lot to the area where the OS resides, or is that for the most part static? I seem to remember that when I configured my system I made an effort to eliminate writing of logs, storage of configuration files, etc in internal memory, in an effort to minimize the wear of internal memory, since once that goes the Zaurus would be pretty much a brick.
No idea... These days I'm in touch with weeXpc's author, I'll ask him if he remembers this.

I really wish they had equipped these machines with internal wifi and bluetooth, as it really would have freed that CF slot to be used as a semi-permanent expansion drive, and the SD as removable media.
That's every Zaurus user's thought

Varti
and many other Zauruses!