Author Topic: How Many Bad Blocks Until A Zaurus Packs It In?  (Read 3067 times)

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
How Many Bad Blocks Until A Zaurus Packs It In?
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »
I was in the diag menu to do a NAND backup last night after the backup I decided to check the NAND Bad Count and I have 2 bad blocks out of 8.  They are blocks 3 and 4.  So how many more bad blocks can I before the little guy dies?
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How Many Bad Blocks Until A Zaurus Packs It In?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:59 am »
Just last week I asked ant on #kexecboot about how the badblocks are handled on the NAND. I have done the same check as you on my Akita (thanksfully, no badblocks there yet), this is what he explained to me: it depends on where they are located. Mtd1 (the partition where the kernel is stored, i.e. the flashed zImage file) has all the badblocks automatically remapped to other blocks at the lower MTD level, so it doesn't matter what filesystem is used there. The first block, which is probably the first block being read at boot time, is also guaranteed to be error-free. I don't remember if the Sharp's badblocks tool prints out on what partition have been the bad blocks found, though.

Regarding the other two mtd1 and mtd2 partitions, the badblocks can be only handled by the used filesystem. The standard jffs1/2 filesystem, used by Cacko and pdaXrom, doesn't have such a feature, but there might exist a tool which checks and remaps them. Ubifs handles them, but it is not supported by neither Cacko or pdaXrom; only kexecboot and (I believe) OE's Poky can be run on this filesystem.

If the badblocks are within mtd2 or 3, it might be a good idea to boot Cacko from SD instead of NAND.

Varti
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:56:16 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!