Author Topic: Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request  (Read 27096 times)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2018, 05:44:34 pm »
The lg v20 has a secondary screen. There's been some work getting it functional in Lineage OS. Some people prefer it to a smartwatch. I also have a smartwatch!

An external flash/torch would be good.
Also, how about an IT transmitter so we can control our home theatre devices?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:45:57 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:23 pm »
Lose the haptics on the keyboard, or change it from a buzz to a single click.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2018, 03:32:25 am »
Quote from: DJO
Lose the haptics on the keyboard
I hope you're aware you can turn that off?  Gemini Keyboard app -> Preferences -> Vibrate on keypress.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2018, 01:21:26 pm »
Quote from: gidds
I hope you're aware you can turn that off?

Absolutely, it's one of the first things I did as I suspect it was for most people.

My point it that it is a pointless feature, although a slight clicky effect to simulate what you get on a mechanical switch might be useful.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2018, 01:34:17 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
The lg v20 has a secondary screen. There's been some work getting it functional in Lineage OS. Some people prefer it to a smartwatch. I also have a smartwatch!

An external flash/torch would be good.
Also, how about an IT transmitter so we can control our home theatre devices?

Better use a Raspberry or similar with WiFi, FHEM and a NanoCUL. Gives much more flexibility, since this setup ca be used with any device.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2018, 01:35:46 pm »
Would like to see the V2 with a display without rounded edges.

John007

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:41 pm »
I would like:

a stylus (like the tablet Nokia 770 had, very usefull in Debian).
a backlit keyboard
a better keyboard.

The rest is OK
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:12:51 pm by John007 »

dulinor

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 02:50:20 pm »
Fingerprint sensor! (Back of case, key, I don't care, but something. Didn't realize how much I used it till I lost it, especially for password managers)

Backlit would be nice. A little more oomph processor wise would be nice, too.

Make the USB-C ports work the same way (charge on either, etc.)

abgd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 09:31:59 pm »
I think the point about charging from either side is a good one. I always worry about a device getting bricked just because the port wears out.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 10:45:27 am »
I would welcome separating the far-left hand side (black box of Planet's links) from the App Bar.

AND, perhaps, the optional ability to float that as a widget anywhere on the desktop.

Speaking frankly, the App Bar becomes redundant after one creates a widget (in Nova Prime Launcher - a circle with two rows of three dots each) to access all installed apps from the desktop.

With that done, the missing black box link to Planet's various links remains inaccessible, and thus this feature tweak request.

Cheers!

P.S. One wonders doubtfully whether or not Planet reviews these requests. but if they do review these, then how bloody long might it take them to incorporate any of these in promised, far-flung-into the future updates?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:49:32 am by Ifanafi »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 11:45:16 am »
Quote from: Ifanafi
Speaking frankly, the App Bar becomes redundant after one creates a widget […] to access all installed apps from the desktop.
Your use must be very different from mine, then!  I don't want to be able to access all installed apps from the desktop; I want to be able to access my favourite apps without returning to the desktop!

I'm still using the supplied Launcher3, so I can't speak exactly about Nova Prime.  But compare:
  • Press Alt.
  • Wait up to a second for it to appear.
  • Tap the app you want.  (It's always at the same position, so once you get used to it you know exactly where to tap without looking.  And it's always at the bottom of the screen, so not far to reach.)
with:
  • Press Alt+D.  (Or you could press the circle button, but you might have to drop out of full-screen mode first…)
  • Wait up to a second for it to appear.
  • Check which page is showing, and if necessary, swipe sideways to show the relevant page.
  • Tap the app you want.  (Because there are several pages, you're less likely to remember exactly where it is.  And it could be anywhere on screen, so further to reach.)
It's clear to me which of those is better!

Of course, what I really want is:
  • Press predefined key combination.
That's how I had my Psion set up: Ctrl+Fn+D opened my dictionary, Ctrl+Fn+F started FreeCell, Ctrl+Fn+Z went to the previous app, &c &c.  I'm still not sure whether it's possible to do that on Android…  
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »
Your use must be very different from mine, then!  I don't want to be able to access all installed apps from the desktop; I want to be able to access my favourite apps without returning to the desktop!

That's how I had my Psion set up: Ctrl+Fn+D opened my dictionary, Ctrl+Fn+F started FreeCell, Ctrl+Fn+Z went to the previous app, &c &c.  I'm still not sure whether it's possible to do that on Android…  
That is how I would like to be able to set up things too. And how I've BEEN set up since my Nokia 9500-days too...

But it seems Planet IS working on something for keyboard shortcuts, my post here, that should at least HINT towards that they are working on it...??

Kaltsu

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:14 am »
Quote from: gymbo

That is how I would like to be able to set up things too. And how I've BEEN set up since my Nokia 9500-days too...

But it seems Planet IS working on something for keyboard shortcuts, my post here, that should at least HINT towards that they are working on it...??

I would like to see a Nokia Communicator style device. With a touchscreen on the top part of the phone.

The screen should also be able to change to the second one that had the keyboard.

I would like to see a similar navigation key that is on the Nokia E90 communicator. (the square one)

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2018, 10:15:02 am »
The US keyboard really should not have a backslash and pipe key. Replace that key with apostrophe and quotation mark. People very rarely use backslash on Android or Linux.

Making an external display would only increase costs and make damaging the device much easier. A better idea would be to make the inner display able to flip around and become external. There are several great designs for this from HTC. No need to keep the keyboard exposed wroth this idea, either.

Or they could make the display removable and reversible like the Surface Book. The Communicator design is very antiquated and suboptimal in terms of bulk, cost, weight, and durability.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2018, 12:59:03 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
Or they could make the display removable and reversible like the Surface Book. The Communicator design is very antiquated and suboptimal in terms of bulk, cost, weight, and durability.
The last phone to get the Communicator "badge" is actually the E7, and it has a "fold-under" keyboard, so it doesn't involve two screens...

But I think I prefer the screen protected inside the device, and maybe a small and simple screen on the outside (maybe an e-ink, or a few lines of LCD text-display).