Author Topic: Any sailfish news?  (Read 3266 times)

vader

• View Profile
Any sailfish news?
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:29:56 pm »
I wonder if the 2.x version will be released, or do we have to wait for the official 3.x version. I haven't heard any news about sailfish - anyone? I am really looking forward to it.

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
Any sailfish news?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:19 pm »
Quote from: vader
I wonder if the 2.x version will be released, or do we have to wait for the official 3.x version. I haven't heard any news about sailfish - anyone? I am really looking forward to it.

Well, I do wonder the same, but I am happy to wait for the official version 3 supported by Jolla. As pointed out in another thread, the future support for landscape mode and improved hardware keyboards support will make Sailfish OS 3 much more usable on the Gemini. A 2.x version would just disappoint most users I guess.

Planet Computers may have some bigger fish to fry at the moment. Fixing the production issues and getting the Android issues addressed would be on the top of their priority list I assume.

There is a chance someone hacks together a community version based on 2.x, or PC does release a "tech preview", but I would not count on it.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

Grench

• View Profile
Any sailfish news?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:29:26 pm »
Quote from: greguu

Well, I do wonder the same, but I am happy to wait for the official version 3 supported by Jolla. As pointed out in another thread, the future support for landscape mode and improved hardware keyboards support will make Sailfish OS 3 much more usable on the Gemini. A 2.x version would just disappoint most users I guess.

Planet Computers may have some bigger fish to fry at the moment. Fixing the production issues and getting the Android issues addressed would be on the top of their priority list I assume.

There is a chance someone hacks together a community version based on 2.x, or PC does release a "tech preview", but I would not count on it.

I suspect that we may be seeing something for Sailfish in the next month or two.  It is already looking pretty polished:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pl...20#post-1433606

At 4:30 in that video, he notes that Sailfish already has GPU drivers working (assuming 3D) and 4G and 4G calling from the device.  Those are big hurdles to be through so quickly.

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Any sailfish news?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:19:38 pm »
Quote from: Grench
Quote from: greguu

I suspect that we may be seeing something for Sailfish in the next month or two.  It is already looking pretty polished:
https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pl...20#post-1433606

At 4:30 in that video, he notes that Sailfish already has GPU drivers working (assuming 3D) and 4G and 4G calling from the device.  Those are big hurdles to be through so quickly.

That is interesting. Well, this hardware support is also thanks to libhybris allowing to use the android kernel drivers in SailfishOS. It would be interesting to know what Android base it is using and how the "accelerated" wayland support is done. But if PC will indeed release a "community  version" of Sailfish OS soon, I guess we find out.
I wonder who is working on this...

Edit : It is mentioned in the video who is working on this. It must be TheKit.. well big respect for that effort !
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:31:01 pm by greguu »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Any sailfish news?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:10:21 am »
Jolla announced in their latest newsletter, released on the 30th of March, that the Gemini-PDA will get Sailfish X support.

So far, Sailfish X was only available for Sony Xperia devices.

Jolla will extend the Sailfish X support beyond the current Sony Xperia X and include the Xperia XA1 and ... the dual SIM Xperia X.

But, the Gemini-PDA is also on the list !

Sailfish X for the Sony Xperia did come with a very reasonable price tag. We may see the same (price tag)  for the Gemini-PDA... but official support will be very much worth it.

Source:  https://mailchi.mp/a31863e5eb53/sailfish-os...tter-march-2018