Author Topic: Replacement keyboard mat fixed my problem  (Read 1932 times)

joe

• View Profile
Replacement keyboard mat fixed my problem
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:32:23 pm »
I was one of the first batch, and got one of the devices with a dodgy keyboard. A few days ago Robin emailed me to say he was sending a replacement "keyboard mat". This is the silicone sheet that sits under the keys, forming dome springs, membrane switches and a soft end-of-travel stop for the keys.

It arrived quickly, I replaced it quickly, and now I'm very happy indeed. It honestly feels like a completely different machine.

Words and pictures: http://blog.afandian.com/2018/04/gemini-pda/

Comparing the original and replacement keyboard mat, I haven't been able to see any difference between them, so I'm not surprised that they slipped through QA. (That said, the finished keyboard should have been caught.)

If your keyboard is wobbly or sticks, let them know and be patient.

And just because there are people moaning about customer service, I'll add my tuppence worth and say that I'm very impressed that they got this thing made. I don't mind waiting for responses, and they resolved my issue in a reasonable timeframe. Fitting a replacement part is very much part of the crowdfunding experience that I expected.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »
Quote from: joe
Words and pictures: http://blog.afandian.com/2018/04/gemini-pda/

First, great to hear it worked.

Second, and more important, I loved your blog post, even though it was quite expensive: I had to read your post on the Ubuntu tablet (which makes me glad we'll have Debian for the Gemini); and worse (though well worth it), I had to track down the story of the Peachy Printer, which made me cringe and which took awhile. (Especially the videos.)

Anyway, anybody who hasn't yet should click on over to the link above and read a literate and useful piece about the Gemini!
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:08:18 am »
Just popping up to say "me too".

I had somewhat wobbly/insensitive keys, so asked for a replacement keymap. It arrived within a working week, and I just installed it now. Problems are totally fixed and the keyboard now feels about as easy to type on as my Macbook. (Physically smaller so more accuracy needed, but key tactile experience is excellent.)

Observations:

1. Have a bright light to hand! (You're fiddling with black keycaps on a black rubber mat.) Also maybe a magnifier if you have middle-aged eyesight.

2. Follow the instructions to the letter.

3. Remember the ESC key will turn your device on or off! After removing it, push firmly on the key support to turn the machine off again. Then replace it last of all.

4. After replacing each key, press down on it firmly to ensure it's properly inserted.

5. Re-seating the return key and spacebar was easier than I expected (going by the instructions): just position with care, then press down gently, and the clips will re-attach to the wire supports with a positive click.

Oh, and (6) (which is why it took me a week or so to get around to it): ensure before starting that you have a clean, brightly lit, flat, CAT-FREE workspace!