Author Topic: Sailfish article on Engadget  (Read 3285 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

gidds

• View Profile
Sailfish article on Engadget
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:59:20 am »
Interesting, thanks.

Anyone know what our options might be for using Sailfish unless/until there's an official release for the Gemini?

I note that the current available version (for Xperia only) is €50, so that might be a reasonable expectation for a Gemini version, if and when.

(Also, I note that it's currently available only within the EU and Norway and Sweden — which raises the question of UK availability after Brexit…)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Mark C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
I would pay 50 euros for Sailfish without even questioning the purchase. My old Nokia N900 (with Maemo) is the best phone I've ever had. Note that I have not got the Gemini yet  

pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:57:14 am »
Quote from: Mark C
I would pay 50 euros for Sailfish without even questioning the purchase. My old Nokia N900 (with Maemo) is the best phone I've ever had. Note that I have not got the Gemini yet  

The current version is rather rough around the edges, although it is usable of course (it is installed on my daily driver phone). I don't think that I would recommend it to a non-geek yet, but I have high hopes that as Sailfish 3 emerges during this year the major shortcomings will be dealt with.
Now: Gemini 4G/Android. Previously: Zaurus C760/Cacko lite 1.23

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 01:03:49 pm »
What sort of rough edges do you see, and how far does it have to go?  (Although I'm a techie, I want a device that Just Works™…)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »
If it works as it should - Linux with Google GAPPS available and can run the Blackberry Corp's Android "Good" email application (still used by a lot of corporations) and they will allow me to buy it (their current store blocks US IP addresses)...  Yeah, 50EUR is not out of line.

Rough edges are fine if the functionality above is there/working.