Author Topic: Question about Gemini's USB-C cable  (Read 3869 times)

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Question about Gemini's USB-C cable
« on: April 20, 2018, 02:26:57 pm »
Indulge me, please.

The Gemini includes a USB-C Mains Charger to be used on the device's left-side USB port.

Does that "charger" have a pronged, plug end for plugging directly into a wall outlet or through a USB-A male end to  the ubiquitous, boxy adapter?

I can't recall what was said about that in PC's Indiegogo 'comments' pages.

If the charger is exclusively for direct outlet connecting, then I guess I will need a USB-C to USB-A male cable for the device's right-side USB port, among other cable types.

Thanks in advance for all's helpful replies.

Ifanafi
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:28:32 pm by Ifanafi »

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
From what I understand...

The right USB C port is a somewhat limited capability USB C OTG port.  I suspect that a person may need one of these to use it in host mode:  https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsu...s/dp/B0744DYN9T
Though there are reports from people who have theirs that say they can connect one, but only one, device at a time through the right USB C port.  I.e. even with a hub it only sees one device.  There is something else funky going on there too, though.  The Planet Computers USB C to HDMI connector is supposed to ONLY work in the right USB port.  I'm uncertain of whether the Gemini can charge from the right port.

The left USB C port also has some funky stuff going on.  It appears that it is either a charge port or host.  There are reports that using the Planet Computers USB C to USB 3.0 & ethernet hub works - but that it cannot charge while that is connected.

Which leads me to a curious point.
It appears that the Gemini in 'desktop mode', connected to it's USB C hub on the left for keyboard, mouse and ethernet and connected to the monitor via it's USB C to HDMI adapter on the right is left with no way to charge or maintain charge while in this mode.  Someone please test this and figure out a way to prove just how wrong I am.

I should be receiving my Gemini, charger, hub and HDMI adapter in another week or two.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:07:31 am »
Thank you.
Still confused.
Perhaps you will report back after testing your Gemini's ports.
Cheers!

Quote from: Grench
From what I understand...

The right USB C port is a somewhat limited capability USB C OTG port.  I suspect that a person may need one of these to use it in host mode:  https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsu...s/dp/B0744DYN9T
Though there are reports from people who have theirs that say they can connect one, but only one, device at a time through the right USB C port.  I.e. even with a hub it only sees one device.  There is something else funky going on there too, though.  The Planet Computers USB C to HDMI connector is supposed to ONLY work in the right USB port.  I'm uncertain of whether the Gemini can charge from the right port.

The left USB C port also has some funky stuff going on.  It appears that it is either a charge port or host.  There are reports that using the Planet Computers USB C to USB 3.0 & ethernet hub works - but that it cannot charge while that is connected.

Which leads me to a curious point.
It appears that the Gemini in 'desktop mode', connected to it's USB C hub on the left for keyboard, mouse and ethernet and connected to the monitor via it's USB C to HDMI adapter on the right is left with no way to charge or maintain charge while in this mode.  Someone please test this and figure out a way to prove just how wrong I am.

I should be receiving my Gemini, charger, hub and HDMI adapter in another week or two.

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »
From what people who've had theirs seem to be saying, there's a USB-C to USB-A cable, and a USB-A to mains adaptor appropriate to your regional power supply.

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:04:21 pm »
In fact, Rosie on this forum posted a pic of the unboxed Gemini.
The power cable and plug are visible in the bottom right of the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140444158@N05/39844762214/

As you can see it's a standard USB-C lead, connecting to USB-A for charging from any USB outlet (Be it your desktop, USB wall sockets, car charger, whatever) with a standard plug to charge from your regional wall sockets.

Otherwise, it can function for connecting the Gemini to any other regular USB device. I already bought a cable just like it for purposes of connecting something to the other socket while it's charging.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:08:37 pm by Sunyavadin »

RJL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
Quote from: Sunyavadin
As you can see it's a standard USB-C lead, connecting to USB-A for charging from any USB outlet...Otherwise, it can function for connecting the Gemini to any other regular USB device.

Yes, this is exactly the case.

You get a normal USB-C to USB-A cable and USB-A to regional power-plug adaptor. The supplied power-plug adaptor is designed for rapid charging, so if you connect to another USB charger (or your desktop, etc) you only charge at a lower rate.

On the other hand, there are only a limited variety of regional power-plug adaptors available. So, you (like me) might not be able to use the supplied adaptor in your home region.