Author Topic: Has anyone managed to get a 4G or 3G connection to Virgin in the UK?  (Read 4763 times)

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
I've just been trying to get android set up on my gemini, having just renewed my old 3G SIM to a 4G one last month, and grabbed an unlimited data contract to take full advantage of my new Gemini, but it seems to have issues connecting and I just get a constant "no service" message for Virgin. How do I get it configured? I've been trying manually entering the correct APN settings etc. to no avail.

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
Has anyone managed to get a 4G or 3G connection to Virgin in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:50 am »
Android really has just been spiralling down the toilet with every subsequent update, part of why I'm so glad to finally have something I don't have to use it as my primary OS on, but for now I still need something I can make calls on, so does anyone know of a fix for the "Access point Name settings are not available for this user." issue, at the very least?

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49:20 am »
Nvm, managed to bypass that issue by disabling EVERYTHING then rebooting connected to my home wired ethernet.
Still no 4G connection, but it seems to be at least connecting fine via 3G, made my first test call and I see that it needs to be held slightly open to be properly heard, I guess due to the mic being inside the clamshell. But I managed to manually input the APN settings and it connected. So we're halfway there!

*Edit* for some reason it does still say "No Service" even while I'm IN A CALL, so I don't know what's up there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:50:44 am by Sunyavadin »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:53:36 am »
I have the same problem: 3G is fine, but there's no 4G at all.

I've been with Virgin Mobile for years, but only 3G.  A few months ago, in preparation, I upgraded to a 4G contract.  (That was a headache in itself — the new 4G-capable SIM made my Nokia E51 crash…  I had to get a new, cheap dumb phone.)

Now I have a Gemini, I can make and take calls fine, but there's no mobile data.  The top of the screen shows ‘3G’ and  a mostly-filled triangle (next to an empty triangle, which I guess is for the empty eSIM slot — I dunno why it insists on showing that when there's no eSIM set…).  I've set ‘Preferred network type’ to 4G, and ‘Virgin 4G’ as the preferred network, but its shows ‘No service’ when trying to access the Internet away from wifi.

Not having any other 4G devices, I can't check whether the problems with Virgin or the Gemini.  I initially assumed there was no coverage at my home, but I've tried it at a couple of other locations too, and Virgin's coverage maps shows there's coverage in most of the surrounding area.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:37:34 pm »
Quote from: gidds
I've been with Virgin Mobile for years, but only 3G.  A few months ago, in preparation, I upgraded to a 4G contract.  (That was a headache in itself — the new 4G-capable SIM made my Nokia E51 crash…  I had to get a new, cheap dumb phone.)

Now I have a Gemini, I can make and take calls fine, but there's no mobile data.  The top of the screen shows ‘3G’ and  a mostly-filled triangle (next to an empty triangle, which I guess is for the empty eSIM slot — I dunno why it insists on showing that when there's no eSIM set…).  I've set ‘Preferred network type’ to 4G, and ‘Virgin 4G’ as the preferred network, but its shows ‘No service’ when trying to access the Internet away from wifi.
I likewise upgraded from a 3G to 4G SIM in anticipation of my Gemini.

I get 3G mobile data, but can't get 4G at all. What are the APN settings you're using? I can compare them to mine and see if there's any difference there which might be impeding your 3G data connection.

Clearly this 4G matter on Virgin is an issue we need to look into though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:42:00 pm by Sunyavadin »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »
Quote from: Sunyavadin
What are the APN settings you're using?

If you mean Access Point Name settings (Settings -> Wireless & networks -> More -> Mobile networks -> Access point names), it just says ‘Access Point Name settings are not available for this user’.

(Dunno if it's relevant, but I haven't signed in with any Google ID, for privacy reasons.)

Would that need to be set up for mobile data, and if so, any idea how I might do so?
   Andy/

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 04:37:33 pm »
Quote from: Sunyavadin
What are the APN settings you're using?

If you mean Access Point Name settings (Settings -> Wireless & networks -> More -> Mobile networks -> Access point names), it just says ‘Access Point Name settings are not available for this user’.

(Dunno if it's relevant, but I haven't signed in with any Google ID, for privacy reasons.)

Would that need to be set up for mobile data, and if so, any idea how I might do so?

I reflashed my system with the rooted Android and Linux dual boot and was able to edit them after turning on developer mode in Android.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:41:30 pm »
It seems that the ‘not available’ message is misleading, and just means that no access points are defined.  I was able to add one.

I got the details from here.  You have to pick a phone, and it doesn't list the Gemini, but I guessed a Galaxy would be fairly standard, and it came up with:

Name:        Virgin Mobile
Username:        (none)
Password:        (none)
Homepage:        Virgin Media
Server Address:        http://m.virginmedia.com

Name:        Virgin MMS
IP Address:        193.030.166.002
Homepage:        http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
Server Address:        goto.virginmobile.uk

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, though.
   Andy/

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 03:30:58 pm »
It seems that the ‘not available’ message is misleading, and just means that no access points are defined.  I was able to add one.

I got the details from here.  You have to pick a phone, and it doesn't list the Gemini, but I guessed a Galaxy would be fairly standard, and it came up with:

Name:        Virgin Mobile
Homepage:        Virgin Media
Server Address:        http://m.virginmedia.com

Name:        Virgin MMS
IP Address:        193.030.166.002
Homepage:        http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
Server Address:        goto.virginmobile.uk

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, though.

Internet APN.
Name: WEB
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type: CHAP
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming protocol: IPv4
Leave all other options blank/Not set

MMS APN.
Name: MMS
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type: CHAP
APN Type: mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming protocol: IPv4
Leave all other options blank/Not set

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:36 pm »
In other news, completely out of the blue this afternoon, my Gemini suddenly switched from using 3G to 4G. It's incredible the boost to connection speed I now have in web browsing using the data connection.

*edit* Jinxed it. After 5 straight hours of 4G in my living room, suddenly it switched back to 3G...
*Edit 2* Apparently I can turn 4G back on after receiving a call switches it to 3G, by going into the SIM settings and toggling the preferred data SIM to 2, then back to 1....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:55:06 pm by Sunyavadin »

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:48 am »
Bizarre!

I can confirm that after seeing the access point details, I now get 3G data.  Which is nice.  But still no hint of 4G.

Does anyone have an idea whether the issue is with the Gemini, or with Virgin Mobile?  (I.e. whether it's worth calling up Virgin and asking them about a device they've never heard of…)

BTW, the ‘NO SERVICE’ seems to be a red herring.  It seems that the Gemini (if you have an X27 one which can use the eSIM) will always display the status of both SIM slots.  So ‘VIRGIN - NO SERVICE’ simply means that the first (physical) slot is connected to Virgin, and the second (eSIM) slot isn't connected.
   Andy/

jutleys

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:54 am »
I get 3g and 4g fine i can see the problem  you have Authentication Type: CHAP but it should be PAP.

Sunyavadin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 03:59:19 pm »
Odd, mine works fine on 4G with CHAP and it's the one Virgin explicitly tell you to set it to in their instructions.

Yev

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 06:23:50 am »
I only got 3G or No Service at first on Virgin.

Here's what worked.

Go to Settings > SIM cards.

Switch it to CARD 1 under each entry of: Mobile data, Calls, and SMS messages.

Now 4G no problem!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 07:50:53 pm »
Quote from: Yev
Switch it to CARD 1 under each entry of: Mobile data, Calls, and SMS messages.

Mine was already set like that…  Still says ‘3G’.   
   Andy/