Author Topic: Word processing software  (Read 2900 times)

jornada720

• View Profile
Word processing software
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:26:51 pm »
Since graphical compositing is not working yet in Linux, I've found that the only word processor that can keep up with my typing is AbiWord, the GTK3 word processor. LibreOffice and Calligra Word are both really slow for me. LibreOffice, in particular, is insanely slow to accept input, even with the graphic acceleration option disabled.

Has anyone else had luck with either two of those applications?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:32:42 pm by jornada720 »

jornada720

• View Profile
Word processing software
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
Since graphical compositing is not working yet in Linux, I've found that the only word processor that can keep up with my typing is AbiWord, the GTK3 word processor. LibreOffice and Calligra Word are both really slow for me. LibreOffice, in particular, is insanely slow to accept input, even with the graphic acceleration option disabled.

Judging from the lack of replies, it sounds like AbiWord is the way to go for now.

jakfish

• View Profile
Word processing software
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 09:25:54 am »
I'm sorry to read your observations about slow typing with decent word processors.

I just ordered my Gemini, so I can only suggest hypothetically, but have you installed Wine, then an earlier version of Word, say Word 97?

Since MS has a .docx file converter, I use Word 97 in all my computers, It's bloat-free and friendly to small screens. I'm hoping to do the same with the Gemini.

I can't abide Abiword; that software is always behind the eight-ball, corrupting docs right and left.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:29:50 am by jakfish »

depscribe

• View Profile
Word processing software
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 04:31:59 pm »
Quote from: jornada720

I'm not having a particular problem with write speed in LibreOffice Writer, but I'm sick to death of having to change all the styles everyfrigging time I write something. (It's rumored that one can get a masters degree in computer science at many schools just by changing the default styles and having them stick.)

So thanks -- I'd forgotten entirely about AbiWord, though I always liked it in its early days. As with many applications on the Gemini, getting rid of as much screencrap as possible is good (little icon-infested toolbars, for a start -- go poking at those and you'll invariably miss). And I wish there were an easy way to make the menu font a little bigger, but I can't find that in the application, so there must be some (probably uninstalled) Gnome configurator to do that. But I believe that at least once you set something it sticks, which puts it ahead of LibreOffice.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

depscribe

• View Profile
Word processing software
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:03:50 am »
Something very useful if you use AbiWord (or, really, any other Gnome and Gmomeish applications), courtesy of the hacker Cos. open a terminal and do this:

Code: [Select]
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2
This increases the size of the text in the menubar and menus, which is especially helpful when you're poking at it with your finger.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

jakfish

• View Profile
Word processing software
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:31:04 pm »
That's a great tip, thanks.

Jake