Author Topic: Optimizing the LXQt environment  (Read 9293 times)

jornada720

• View Profile
Optimizing the LXQt environment
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:49:32 pm »
Since random alphabetic keys don’t work in KDE Plasma yet, I’ve been having a go of optimizing the LXQt environment for use. Here’s what I have so far:

1.   Mapped the lxqt-runner app to Alt+Space. This is in LXQt Configuration -> Shortcut Keys -> Show/hide runner dialog. With this key remap, you can instantly launch any program with just 2 or three keystrokes.

Remapped the KWin window manager to have shortcuts for the most common functions. I’ve set Close to Alt+C, Minimize to Alt+M, and Maximize to Alt+X. I also added Alt+R and Alt+L to Quick Tile windows to the right and left sides of the screen. I also set Ctrl+Space to acticate a given window’s operations menu.

KWin has scores of other functions that can be mapped. Do this by going to KDE System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts.

2.   Since you can’t click the taskbar buttons to switch tasks easily, I’ve made it so that tapping on a window’s title bar lowers the window and shows the one underneath it for quick access. This is another KWin setting. Activate any window’s system menu and then choose More Actions -> Window Manager Settings -> Actions.

3.   Achieve visual consistency between GTK and Qt apps by going to the KDE System Settings -> Application Style -> GNOME Application Style.

You only have a limited selection of styles to choose from by default but you can set the Breeze and Breeze Dark themes.

4.   Install Konsole, a super powerful terminal app that leaves QTerminal in the dust: sudo apt install konsole

5.   Install some better icon sets. Get some at kde-look.org or by going to KDE System Settings -> Icons -> Get new Theme

6.   Install Yakuake, a drop down terminal that you can recall at a keypress: sudo apt install yakuake. It will give you the option to choose its hotkey the first time you launch it. Make it start up on login in the LXQt Configuration Center -> Session Settings

7.   Add some Quick Launch icons. Call up the LXQt main menu at the bottom of the screen and the drag and drop any of the apps you want into the empty space to the left of the taskbar

8.   Enable KWin's software compositor. It isn't as good as native OpenGL but KWin has a software rendering feature for graphical acceleraion that works pretty well for transparency and faster window movements. Turn this on in the KWin Settings mentioned above under the Compositor section. WARNING: Make sure not to enable OpenGL rendering as this will make your KWin unusuable! Keep the Rendering Backend as XRender in the settings.

9. Install the LXQt image viewer which is absent in the default Debian image: sudo apt install lxqt-image. This will enable you to take screenshots with Function + R.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:20:52 pm by jornada720 »

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:52 pm »
My desktop as a result is attached.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:15:39 am »
Looks great!

Markie likes it!

Thanks for sharing all the info and screenshot.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:11:12 am »
Thanks for these useful tips. I'll for sure follow them once I'll get my Gemini.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Wormhole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:57:23 am »
Quote from: jornada720
8.   Enable KWin's software compositor. It isn't as good as native OpenGL but KWin has a software rendering feature for graphical acceleraion that works pretty well for transparency and faster window movements. Turn this on in the KWin Settings mentioned above under the Compositor section. WARNING: Make sure not to enable OpenGL rendering as this will make your KWin unusuable! Keep the Rendering Backend as XRender in the settings.

Great tutorials!
But can you please can you tell about tip 8? Where can I find KWin's software compositor?

Thanks a lot!

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:49 pm »
Quote from: Wormhole

Great tutorials!
But can you please can you tell about tip 8? Where can I find KWin's software compositor?

Thanks a lot!

Sure, just activate any window’s system menu (click on the icon on its title bar) and then choose More Actions -> Window Manager Settings -> Compositor. Check the box that says "Enable compositor on startup"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:25:27 pm by jornada720 »

geophile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:54 am »
[/quote]
Sure, just activate any window’s system menu (click on the icon on its title bar) and then choose More Actions -> Window Manager Settings -> Compositor. Check the box that says "Enable compositor on startup"
[/quote]

When I select Window Manager Settings, nothing happens. No dialog box, no new window, nothing. Any idea why this might be happening?

geophile

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:39:20 am »
It looks like you have multiple desktops enabled. How did you do that?

klf!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »
Quote from: geophile
It looks like you have multiple desktops enabled. How did you do that?
Edit
      $HOME/kwinrc
and set the number of desktops you like to have
   [Desktop]
   Number={number of virtual desktops goes here - default is 1}

Logout and login again - et voilà!-)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:08:06 pm by klf! »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 11:31:24 am »
Finally getting around to wanting to try out the suggestions in first post.

First, trying to get KWIN installed, but having some problems....hope someone can please advise...don't want to mess up my Debian install.....

Found page on installing KWIN

https://www.pcsuggest.com/lxqt-with-kwin-an...heme-in-debian/

and tried to follow install instructions:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install kwin-x11 kwin-addons

But I get following error messages:

kwin-x11 is already the newest version (4:5.8.6-1).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kwin-addons : Depends: kdeplasma-addons-data (= 4:5.8.5-2) but is not going to be installed
 libreoffice-base : Depends: libreoffice-base-core (= 1:5.2.7-1+debu4) but 1:5.7-1+debu5 is to be installed
                          Depends: libreoffice-base-drivers (= 1:5.2.7-1+debu4) but 1:5.7-1+debu5 is to be installed
                          Depends: libreoffice-base (< 1:5.2.7-1+debu5) but 1:5.7-1+debu4 is to be installed

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

If I try what's suggested, I get error messages:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

The following packages will be upgraded:

libreoffice-base
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 75 not upgraded.
93 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/1344 kB of archives.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database.... 114069 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack..... /libreoffice-base_1%3a5.2.7-1+debu5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libreoffice-base (1:5.2.7-1+debu5) over (1:5.2.7-1+debu4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-base_1%3a5.2.7-1+debu5_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libreoffice/share/basic/dialog.xlc', which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:5.2.7-1+debu5
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark
MacBookPro

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 03:26:07 pm »
Quote from: mithrandir
Mark: @see: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showto...mp;#entry288925

Thank you, mithrandir!

Remember now reading about that issue long time ago....didn't realize it was still an issue....

MacBookPro

geminifrench

• View Profile
    • Stephane Marcellet
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:12 am »
Remapped the KWin window manager to have shortcuts for the most common functions. I’ve set Close to Alt+C, Minimize to Alt+M, and Maximize to Alt+X. I also added Alt+R and Alt+L to Quick Tile windows to the right and left sides of the screen. I also set Ctrl+Space to acticate a given window’s operations menu.

Hello.

I just have installed debian (with flashtool and planetcom partitionTool web page).
So i think that i have the debian TP3.

I try to make shortcuts like you (for example "minimize" the windows actual used by press ALT+M).
I am going to the graphical menu -> preferences -> LXQT settings -> and select "shortcut keys".
I select "add", enter shortcut and description, "select" is enabled.

But after that i do not know how to make the "minimize" action. There is 2 type options : "command" and "dbus message".
How to use it  for example to make minimize windows shortcut ? Is there a "command" to minimize windows ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:57:05 am by geminifrench »
Gemini x27 4G - Debian only - (sold)

geminifrench

• View Profile
    • Stephane Marcellet
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:59 am »
so,

i have found the shortcuts file under LXQT .
it is here : ~/.config/lxqt/globalkeyshortcuts.conf

when you make change in this file, you have to reload it.
For that you must go : menu -> preferences -> lxqt settings -> sessions settings -> basic settings -> lxqt modules
and select "global keyboard shortcuts". Then click on "stop" and after on "start". File is reloaded.

But always no idea how to minimize a windows with a shortcut
Gemini x27 4G - Debian only - (sold)

jornada720

• View Profile
Re: Optimizing the LXQt environment
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 10:55:59 am »
Sorry for the delayed response here. I haven't had a working Gemini until just recently. The minimize keystrokes are determined by KWin. You would be unable to set them in LXQt.

There is a separate KDE control panel where you can adjust the keystrokes:

KDE System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts