Author Topic: Google authenticator vs on-board camera  (Read 2268 times)

Jeroen Willems

• View Profile
Google authenticator vs on-board camera
« on: May 27, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »
I have my Gemini with out-of the box android, no special apps or changes to the device.
It works very well with office 365 (basically all I need) but I need Google Authenticator to work for two factor authentications purposes.

Google authenticator is not able to scan QR codes with the on-board camera.

All I see is a black screen with red cross hairs, no image.

I can not find any setting I can change to correct this.

What do I need to do to fix this?

bogomips

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:26:46 pm »
yeah, that is a pain.
only way around it is to add the account manually. you should get a code option to add the account. check your gmail / office 365 2fa enrollment screen for a long code.
then go into google authenticator, tap the + icn to add an account.
you'll see a menu pop up with only "scan qr code" on there (landscape mode), but if you drag that menu option UP you see there is another option to enter the code.
alternative, view the app in portrait mode...
enter that code and you should be set...
careful, i dont think there is validation on that, if you enter the code incorrect, it'll result in incorrect 2fa codes!

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:20:57 am »
For what it's worth, it seems to work with the rear camera add-on. While I haven't used it to actually scan a QR code in Google Authenticator (because I went the manual route, before the camera had arrived), I can confirm that scanning QR codes with the rear camera does work elsewhere. Before installing the rear camera, trying to scan a QR code in Google Authenticator would just give me a black image. Now I get the live feed from the rear camera instead, which makes me believe it should work.

It would be nice though, if Google could enhance Authenticator with front camera support, not only for typical Gemini owners, but I do presume some tablets also only has a front facing camera, and some people might have a broken main camera...