Author Topic: HDMI Supported Only On Some Devices?  (Read 3042 times)

jdcard

• View Profile
HDMI Supported Only On Some Devices?
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:51 am »
I thought I had seen a comment somewhere about HDMI working to connect with some TVs but not with others, but searching here didn't find it.

I'm having exactly that issue: the HDMI adapter works fine with a four years old Samsung Smart TV, but an older Toshiba TV (model number 46XV640UZ, made in October 2009) just pretends the Gemini isn't there. The Toshiba works fine with a variety of other HDMI sources but just won't work with the Gemini.

Any suggestions to make this work? Is anyone else having similar problems?

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:47:09 am »
Quote from: jdcard
I thought I had seen a comment somewhere about HDMI working to connect with some TVs but not with others, but searching here didn't find it.

I'm having exactly that issue: the HDMI adapter works fine with a four years old Samsung Smart TV, but an older Toshiba TV (model number 46XV640UZ, made in October 2009) just pretends the Gemini isn't there. The Toshiba works fine with a variety of other HDMI sources but just won't work with the Gemini.

What resolutions does the Tosh support?

jdcard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:14 pm »
Quote from: Murple2
What resolutions does the Tosh support?

Hmmm... 1920x1080 pixels @ 120 Hz.  We've connected various laptops and Chromebooks to that same HDMI port (and cable) successfully -- it is only the Gemini that won't work.

I've ordered an HDMI->VGA adapter, we'll see if that solves the problem.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:34:28 pm by jdcard »

Hitherwood

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 04:26:49 am »
Quote from: jdcard

I have the Planet USB to HDMI adaptor. Tried it on my LG 4K TV and at first it wouldn't work. Then I unplugged the cable from the USB port and reconnected it. It now works fine.
I tried the same process with an AOC monitor - same result as before.

jdcard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 11:09:31 am »
I did get a working connection to the Toshiba TV with the help of an HDMI->VGA adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS611LJ/). Unfortunately the adapter introduces about 450 milliseconds of lag in the audio. Playing videos using the VLC app allows me to synch the audio and video, but other apps, like web browsers and office presentation apps, don't offer that level of control.

EDIT 2018-06-18: further testing shows the audio delay is not coming from the HDMI->VGA adapter, it appears to be the fault of the USB-C->HDMI adapter that Planet supplied.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:18:36 pm by jdcard »

Joern

• View Profile
    • http://www.joernpachl.de
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:50:38 pm »
With my Loewe TV, the HDMI adapter doesn't work at all. The TV doesn't detect an input signal. I also have a USB-C to VGA adapter, but not the piece sold by Planetcom. I tried it with a projector, and it also doesn't work. The projector doesn't detect a video signal.

Joern

mggr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:15:16 am »
Don't forget about the anti piracy built into the HDMI standard. Its a sort of DRM, think if you research HDCP you'll find out more.  Basically stops you projecting a movie to a device that isn't HDCP compliant.

I can HDMI Netflix to my TV, as its HDCP compliant. Try to HDMI to a computer monitor, it doesn't show. (non HDCP compliant)

Do believe this is an Anti piracy feature of HDMI that may be getting people mixed results too, those who aren't aware of HDCP. Of course this should affect normal projection of desktop, apps etc but this info may help 1 in 100 having issues!

Joern

• View Profile
    • http://www.joernpachl.de
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 04:05:07 am »
I have now tried the combination USB-HDMI + HDMI-VGA adapter. I tried with with two different projectors but didn't get it working. One of the two projectors seemed to receive a signal but didn't display anything.