Author Topic: Linux on wifi only?  (Read 2794 times)

KenJ

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »
Anyone have Linux working on a wifi only model?

This page: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Gemini_Firmware
says:

WiFi-Only Gemini -- Coming soon.

As I wanted this system primarily for running Linux ... well.

Thanks for any info from someone who knows more than I do.

Ken

Kiriririn

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:32 am »
I was too impatient to wait for Planet to release an official Debian firmware for the wifi-only model, so I cooked up a frankenstein firmware. Here is what I did in case you want do risk doing the same:

- Backup your NVRAM!
- Follow the instructions I have added to the wiki to take a full backup: https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/Flashing
- Extract the 4G x27 Debian firmware and replace system.img with the one from your full backup
- Flash it as usual

Alternatively if you are willing to trust a stranger on the internet, I have uploaded my system.img here: https://dl.weeaboo.com/gemini/wifi-system.7z

drand

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:41:42 am »
Thank you for this. I might give it a go!

Jess R

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:27:59 am »
Thanks for the instructions!

I tried this yesterday, the full backup seems to contain the entire drive with 30(!?) partitions in it, where is the system.img in that lot? I got the wibbles at that point, may wait for planet to update..

nullr0ute

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:44:24 pm »
I have a system.img with the update from June. Extracted it with the guide from the wiki. You can download it here https://drive.google.com/a/bouwhuis.io/file...ew?usp=drivesdk

Malcolm H

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:19 am »
Does anyone know what "bad stuff"  would happen (on the Android side) if you installed the the "4G Gemini x27" firmware rather than wait for the official one or using Kiriririn frankenstein method?

Malcolm.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 06:18:00 pm »
this has now been sorted with the latest firmware stuff from Planet.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:56:49 pm »
admin note: I merged two threads covering much the same thing.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

racerx187

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 09:34:25 pm »
I am typing this to you in debian from my Gemini!

I had a scary moment with the flashing procedure because I originally tried to do an Debian only scatter file. When I did this it switched to Format + Update in the flash tool and erased the complete device. I had to manually add every file that was not being flashed in the scatter file. So it seems that current flashing procedure does not take into account that the tool will want to format the device when you change the partition scheme. Right now I have 7G for Android and I think 49G for Linux. I am booting Debian by default.

trying a few different hubs now to see what else I can get working.

So far:
Anker usb c hub with 3 usb ports and SD/uSD combo is working
Logitech  M705 Mouse
Keyboard

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Adam Boardman

• View Profile
Linux on wifi only?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:53 am »
Just to point out that the new flash tool does offer a 'Gemini_*_LinuxOnly.txt' if you put the slider to the left and select something other than android for all your boot partitions.

In the flash tool you have three options:
  • Format + Update - NEVER DO THIS as it clears you NVRAM, but as you backed that up you can put it back see other posts on oesf.
  • Download Only - This can be used if your re-flashing with exactly the same partition layout (ie using same scatter file), useful for dropping in an updated android system/kernel etc. In this mode you can use the tick boxes to select only the partitions to update.
  • Firmware Upgrade - This is the normal full system flash to use when your changing partition layout, eg going from original android or old dual boot to new multi-boot.