Author Topic: USB-C to HDMI adapter  (Read 1893 times)

SimonTelescopium

• View Profile
USB-C to HDMI adapter
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:42:59 am »
I bought a cheap USB-C dongle (NOVOO USB C Hub 5 in 1 Aluminun HDMI 4K Adapter,2 USB 30 ports, 1 SD card reader, 1 micro SD card reader) thinking it would work with the Gemini PDA, everything works except the HDMI, does anyone know of any of these type of dongle that do work? I wrongly assumed that the Planet Computers dongle was just a re-badged generic device. :-(

thefloyd

• View Profile
USB-C to HDMI adapter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:59:14 am »
This has been discussed at length both here and way-back-when on the Indiegogo comments section for the device.

The Mediatek platform used for the Gemini does not have HDMI output, so a bridge chip has to be added to duplicate the screen to HDMI. This means it's a special, custom adapter. These sorts of generic usb-C to HDMI adapters cannot and will not work with the Gemini. The ONLY kind of adapter that *could* work (and proper drivers would be required) are the types of USB to Video cables that have an actual video chip in the cable. Unsure what the android and linux/ARM support are for those sorts of things.

Quote from: SimonTelescopium
I bought a cheap USB-C dongle (NOVOO USB C Hub 5 in 1 Aluminun HDMI 4K Adapter,2 USB 30 ports, 1 SD card reader, 1 micro SD card reader) thinking it would work with the Gemini PDA, everything works except the HDMI, does anyone know of any of these type of dongle that do work? I wrongly assumed that the Planet Computers dongle was just a re-badged generic device. :-(

SimonTelescopium

• View Profile
USB-C to HDMI adapter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »
Ahh thanks for the explanation!