Author Topic: iPhone earphones  (Read 1594 times)

salvomic

• View Profile
iPhone earphones
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:16:15 am »
hi,
I tried iPhone earphones in Gemini and they work, but I wonder if there are issues to use them as their jack has three tips (that for iOS mic I think is not useful in Gemini)...
Any experience?

salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

gidds

• View Profile
iPhone earphones
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:43 am »
The jack plug with the 'extra' connection (i.e. tip, two bands, and collar) is for the mic and buttons.  (Traditional earphones only have tip, one band, and collar.)

Most earphones seem to come in two models: one for Apple stuff, and one for Samsung and everything else — so I assumed that Apple uses those connections differently from everything else.

I guessed that the Gemini is of the latter type, and got a cheap pair that were advertised to work with Samsung.  They seem to work fine with my Gemini while it's open: the volume up/down buttons work; the middle button works as play/pause, while pressing it twice or three times in succession acts as track forward/rewind, and holding it down activates the Voice Assistant.

(The buttons are ignored while the Gemini's closed; I'm hoping that's a firmware issue they will fix.)

If your iPhone-compatible earphones work just as well, then either the Gemini's clever enough to distinguish them, or there's less difference than I suspected!
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

salvomic

• View Profile
iPhone earphones
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:06:56 pm »
thanks Andy!
I'll try soon both types.

salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator