Author Topic: Time between Locked and Shipped, Generally?  (Read 2991 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Time between Locked and Shipped, Generally?
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:08:14 am »
For those who have their devices, do you remember the gap between locked and shipped, more or less?

I'd post this question in Indiegogo's PC Backers section, but it's so depressing there--I realize certain folks have waited a long time for their machines, but you can still be a grown-up about it and not throw tantrums that continue post after post.

Jake

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:11 am »
Apparently--at least in mid-June, 2018--it's about a day. Just got a notice of shipment to US via DHL. On a Friday, even.

Jake

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:30 am »
Quote from: jakfish
For those who have their devices, do you remember the gap between locked and shipped, more or less?

I'd post this question in Indiegogo's PC Backers section, but it's so depressing there--I realize certain folks have waited a long time for their machines, but you can still be a grown-up about it and not throw tantrums that continue post after post.

Jake

I do believe mine was more or less one week, but I do seem to remember people almost getting the shipping notification the same day as they were locked...

I do agree with you about the comments on Indiegogo, but it is also kind of entertaining to see everything some people are able to rant on about...

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 09:16:02 am »
I do agree with you about the comments on Indiegogo, but it is also kind of entertaining to see everything some people are able to rant on about...

It's like looking at a car wreck--you shouldn't slow to stare, but you do anyway

I can understand the frustration, but I don't get the rage, especially since you should always be diplomatic with people who already have your money.

Jake
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:50:18 pm by speculatrix »

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:35 am »
Delivery destination matters.

My Gemini and camera add-on perks lock-to-shipped-to-delivered timeline:

Thursday, 31 May - orders locked.

Friday, 1 June - orders with DHL, Hong Kong, and shipped.

Monday, 4 June - scheduled delivery day.

DJL advised package cleared JFK airport US Customs too late for last-flight out to RIA.

Tuesday, 5 June - package delivered (eastern USA) late afternoon.

Cheers.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 09:56:12 am »
Thank you for the exact dates for comparison to other US shipments.

Your dates hypothetically match mine--a Friday to Tuesday travel time to Eastern US, per my DHL email.

Next Tuesday, my breath will be bated.

Did DHL need your signature?

Jake
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:58:55 am by jakfish »

drand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:20:17 am »
Interesting to see the difference between your experience and mine. Locked on the afternoon of Wednesday 13th June, no despatch email two days later. Mine will be shipping to the UK from the UK warehouse. Perhaps the HK warehouse is able to turn stock around more quickly.

There have been anecdotal reports on the Indiegogo page of up to a week elapsing between locking and despatch. And in line with the comments above I can well understand giving up on monitoring the Indiegogo comments thanks to all the petty squabbles and entitled nonsense...

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:29:25 am »
And in between the hissy fits, people are posting for tech help and those comments are promptly lost. Why aren't they posting here? It's far more civilized and you might actually find support.

Jake

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
Yes, this forum does seem to be relatively civilised, with a reasonably high signal-to-noise ratio*.  Perhaps because world+dog hasn't discovered it yet…  

I think it was a couple of days between my order being locked and accepting delivery.  (South-east UK.)

Of course I was a little frustrated and disappointed that it took around 5 months more than initially hoped.  It was a long wait.  But then we knew that this was a tiny start-up trying to achieve a miracle on a shoestring; and I made allowances.  And it paid off!  The Gemini's not perfect, but it's a good deal closer than I dared to hope.  Many of the issues are software/firmware ones, and will probably get fixed; again, not immediately, but I'm in this for the long term, so I try to be patient.

The way I look at it: Planet have been acting all along in good faith.  They may have been a little optimistic at times, but who isn't?  I don't think they've ever deliberately lied about anything.  They've clearly been working extremely hard to build, publicise, and support the Gemini, and do the best they can for their backers.  In return, I think a little patience, a little grace, a little goodwill is entirely appropriate!

(If for no better reason than that it's more likely to get results  )

(* I find myself wondering whether the average age in here is higher than elsewhere, and if so, whether that might have something to do with the relaxed tone.  I'm only mid-40s, but I also spend a lot of time on an old-time BBS called CIX — in fact, I own the ‘planetcom’ conference there!  The average age there is quite high, which is probably partly why it too is such a civilised place.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

drand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 12:02:40 pm »
Quote from: drand
Interesting to see the difference between your experience and mine. Locked on the afternoon of Wednesday 13th June, no despatch email two days later. Mine will be shipping to the UK from the UK warehouse. Perhaps the HK warehouse is able to turn stock around more quickly.

And two hours later, a shipping email. So hopefully Planet are getting all devices shipped promptly after locking orders.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »
Congrats, drand, on a shipping laden. Let''s hope DHL finds its way for us all. I was a little startled to see that while the device is coming far sooner than I expected, my state in the USA has been dropped from the shipping address.

But my street address is still there, as is my city, zip code, and country. I also see that the machine is landing in Washington DC, which is about 15 miles from my house, so that says they're heading in the right direction.

@gidds, yes, I think this forum isn't exactly 20-something, and that may account for its sense of manners.

When the Zune came out, I bought one and finding forums that didn't have a bunch of flame-throwing teenagers (I kept wanting to tell them to go to bed, already) was impossible.

I can only empathize w/ the early backers and the constant monitoring that must've implied, not to mention the fact that everything could've gone belly-up. As a happy GPD Pocket owner who waited until the 2nd gen appeared on Amazon, I shy away from the wild west of Indiegogo, and only bought the Gemini when the more intrepid had done the hard work.

So flags unfurled for you folks and the same for Planet, a company that does seem to have its heart in the right place. I hope they make millions.

Jake

raesene

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 05:33:09 pm »
So just to add in on this.  I didn't back via IndieGoGo, ordered via the Planetcom website, on the 6th June, got shipping notification (UK via Royal Mail) today.  I was somewhat surprised as I was expecting it might be delayed past the mid-june timescale mentioned when I ordered...

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:52:20 pm »
I didn't see anything about my order being locked. I got a shipping notification, and it arrived within 36 hours!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »
I ordered the camera add-on May 6th, a while after I received my Gemini. In Indiegogo the status has been "ORDER LOCKED" for over 2 weeks now with no sign of getting it any time soon.