Author Topic: Adaptive Brightness all over the place  (Read 1706 times)

jamiefixt

• View Profile
Adaptive Brightness all over the place
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:17:59 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been using adaptive brightness but it seems to move up and down a lot even when the light levels are the same. It's distracting and I've turned it off as a result. Is this normal?

Ta, Jamie

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:21:41 pm »
Quote from: jamiefixt
Hi guys,

I've been using adaptive brightness but it seems to move up and down a lot even when the light levels are the same. It's distracting and I've turned it off as a result. Is this normal?

Ta, Jamie

WiFi Only X27 - Android

I have had this - but it's when I move my hand torwards the screen the light level on the sensor to the right of the screen does change.  

My hand is only there for a second or two, so It probably needs a longer integration period in the algorithm that sets the brightness?

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:11:24 pm »
Quote from: jamiefixt
My Gemini behaved the same, so I also ended up turning the feature off. Luckily, Fn+B and Fn+M are quick enough for me. I think the general problem is that what the sensor percieves doesn't always match what I see, from my vantage point.

For example, if I have a fairly strong overhead light, the angle of the sceen may prevent any glare from reaching my eyes, but the sensor will be looking straight into it, and think it must up the backlight. The other way around, if I have a bright light behind the screen, I might need more backlight to compensate, but the sensor can't see it and, thus, cannot compensate either.

While better algorithms may help, I have the same basic issue with my brand-name top-tier other phone, so I guess the idea of having a single sensor pointing at the user, just isn't all that useful sometimes. Phones, in general, would need to be able to tell how much light is coming from which direction, in order to be able to make informed decisions.