Author Topic: Rooting Help?  (Read 3394 times)

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:25:55 pm »
First off, I apologize for sounding like a nitwit that hasn't done his homework. In my defense, I am a nitwit, but I truly have researched this and I'm still lost.

Goal: single boot of rooted Android. Current status: single boot of stock Android.

1) Using the new Planet Partition tool, I put in the goal's specs and generated a scatter file "Gemini_x27_AndroidOnly" In the file, I see references to "file_name: root_boot.img" To cross check, I generated a Standard Android scatter file. First trouble is this too is named ""Gemini_x27_AndroidOnly" I searched the Standard scatter file and found no reference to root and only this: "file_name: boot.img"

Can I assume that I have the right scatter file for root?

2) Other posts mention rooting by checking only "boot" in the Smart Phone Flash Tool and choosing "Download Only" Is that correct? If so, will it root only or will it factory reset?

3) I have Windows/Flash drivers installed and Flashtool downloaded and a ready cable. How do I connect? And do I need to be in Developer/USB Debug in the Gemini?

4) I will not forget to back up the NVRAM

Again, apologies for being so addled but I really don't want to brick this thing,
Jake
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:28:08 pm by jakfish »

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 02:44:34 pm »
hi Jake,
root_boot.img is the right file to get rooted Android, but after flashing it you should use Magisk manager app, inside that install Magisk root files, reboot and you'll have a rooted Android working.
The scatter file generated is so ok. Don't miss to download the NVRAM backup, and put a folder both scatter file and backup, it is very important, to restore or correct wrong operations...
After installing drivers for Windows and Flash Tool, put Gemini in USB debug, follow the PC instructions and when you click on the "Download" button restart Gemini, so the Tool handle Gemini and continue the process.
I re-flashed all (rooted Android, Debian Linux, Sailfish OS), so first I made a backup (via Google backup), then flashed and Android restored plenty of settings and apps, at the end I passed to Magisk (install it in the main memory as here it didn't work if installed in the SD card).
If all goes ok and you'll need to change something, you can use "Download" only (maybe deselecting those files you don't need), but the first time you must use "Firmware upgrade" and this delete every files...
Hope this help.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 03:15:14 pm »
salvomic, thanking you for posting. I'm understanding more thanks to you, but I'm still unsure in places:

1) I've enabled usb debugging mode, connected to desktop PC (Windows 8.1), started Flashtool, but I'm not connected. Does the Gemini need to be in Recovery mode? If so, how do I do that?

2) To root only, do I have to choose "Firmware upgrade" and wipe the phone? I can't just choose "Download only"?

The first issue is I can't connect.

Thanks,
Jake
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:15:51 pm by jakfish »

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »
Quote from: jakfish
salvomic, thanking you for posting. I'm understanding more thanks to you, but I'm still unsure in places:
you're welcome!
1) I've enabled usb debugging mode, connected to desktop PC (Windows 8.1), started Flashtool, but I'm not connected. Does the Gemini need to be in Recovery mode? If so, how do I do that?
See here: "To start the flashing process, just click the big Download button, connect your Gemini to your PC and restart the Gemini. Once booting, the flash tool will detect the unit and will start flashing the device with the selected firmware."
You must first click the Download button with the cable inserted, then restart Gemini. So, the Tool detect it and use it as needed.

2) To root only, do I have to choose "Firmware upgrade" and wipe the phone? I can't just choose "Download only"?

I think "Firmware upgrade", as the boot file image is different: root_boot.img and not boot.img, so only download doesn't help.

Salvo
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:50:21 pm »
salvomic, thanks once again.

Something's wrong with the Flashtool and my pc's--both 8.1 and win10.

I start the flashtool, unconnected to Gemini. Everything on the flashtool is unchecked and I can't check anything. Same as when I connect the Gemini. Same on Win10, with a different flashtool download.

When I click on Download button, I get a "you need to choose at least one rom" error.

Any advice on this?

Jake
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:52:01 pm by jakfish »

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 04:51:41 pm »
Ah, I think I see the issue. This flashing guide:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/A..._Flashing_Guide

is deprecated. It expects a scatter file within the downloaded firmware, and newly downloaded firmware does not have a scatter file within its folder. The needed scatter file is now generated from the Planet Partition Tool, a scatter file that is seemingly not recognized by the Smart Phone Flash Tool.

There are so many different sets of directions out in the wild and I can't figure them out.

Oh, well, I didn't brick it,
Jake

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:20:45 pm »
Ah, I think I see the issue. This flashing guide:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/A..._Flashing_Guide

is deprecated. It expects a scatter file within the downloaded firmware, and newly downloaded firmware does not have a scatter file within its folder. The needed scatter file is now generated from the Planet Partition Tool, a scatter file that is seemingly not recognized by the Smart Phone Flash Tool.

why "deprecated"? I followed that guide, putting all firmware files and scatter file in a folder, ran the Tool, choose "Download Agent" and "Scatter file", backup NVRAM, then flashed all without issues, in Windows 10 (via Parallels) inside Mac OS X.

Salvo

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Rooting Help?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:27:29 pm »
Quote from: salvomic
you're welcome!
See here: "To start the flashing process, just click the big Download button, connect your Gemini to your PC and restart the Gemini. Once booting, the flash tool will detect the unit and will start flashing the device with the selected firmware."
You must first click the Download button with the cable inserted, then restart Gemini. So, the Tool detect it and use it as needed.

I think "Firmware upgrade", as the boot file image is different: root_boot.img and not boot.img, so only download doesn't help.

Salvo
Download is sufficient, since the boot image only gets replaced. Using firmware upgrade you loose your data and have start from the beginning or to install a backup. Please correct the above post for others who are not reading this post.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:28:34 pm by mithrandir »

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 06:11:13 pm »
>>why "deprecated"?<< Because, as far as I can tell, the new firmware doesn't have scatter file in its directory. Users need to generate new scatter file.

Also, on the download section of Planet Partition, there is only firmware, not the smaller boot-verified.img needed for root. I've downloaded that from yet another section, but can't install it through Smart Phone Flash Tool, since I can't connect.

Also, do we need to be be USB-debugged mode or not? I can't find verification.

>>Download is sufficient, since the boot image only gets replaced.<< Good to know, thanks. Wish I knew why I couldn't connect.

What a mess,
Jake

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 02:16:09 am »
Download is not sufficient if you have single boot and then pass to multiple boot, this I said... The next time ok, if you don't change boot type...

If you choose "Rooted Android" or not is generated different boot image (and so advices the PC guide, see inside the zip files); all the files generated by Partition tool must be put, decompressed, in a unique folder with the scatter file generated by the user. Using Partition tool is relatively simple...
Following carefully the PC guide you shouldn't be wrong

salvo

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 09:00:25 am »
Thank you. Where do I put the unzipped folder of the downloaded firmware. In the FlashToolWindows directory?

I put it there, and tried with scatter file both in that directory and also with scatter file in FlashToolWindows directory. But neither approach allows me to click on any of the firmware choices.

Jake

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 11:48:44 am »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Thank you. Where do I put the unzipped folder of the downloaded firmware. In the FlashToolWindows directory?

I put it there, and tried with scatter file both in that directory and also with scatter file in FlashToolWindows directory. But neither approach allows me to click on any of the firmware choices.

Jake

any folder. For example, see the attachment: I put all in a folder "Firmware" inside another folder in my Mac OS X.
You must choose the two files
Download Agent (MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin)
and
Scatter-loading file (Gemini*boot.txt)
then the Tool is ready to go.
See also the files list fro a triple boot.
Salvo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:52:30 am by salvomic »

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 12:03:51 pm »
Thank you, thank you, this really helps.

From your helpful screen shot, is it correct to choose "Download only" when getting ready to flash the three OSs?

Jake

salvomic

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 12:22:17 pm »
Thank you, thank you, this really helps.

From your helpful screen shot, is it correct to choose "Download only" when getting ready to flash the three OSs?

Jake

if you start from single boot to triple boot the answer is no. After you've flashed the first time, you can change something using "Download only". Please, follow always the PC guide, I'm putting here only little examples

good luck!

Salvo

jakfish

• View Profile
Rooting Help?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 09:20:45 pm »
Salvo,

Many,  many thanks for sticking with this thread. I finally got a triple boot w/ a rooted android.

Appreciate it in big way,
Jake