Author Topic: Android Rooted/Unrooted Partitioning  (Read 2307 times)

DJO

• View Profile
Android Rooted/Unrooted Partitioning
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »
After several installs and brickings I've gone for a Std Android/Linux/Rooted Android arrangement.

I'm sure something has gone wrong as I cannot see any difference between the rooted & unrooted installations, every change I make on one appears on the other, both are rooted.

Even if both installs share the system files I would have expected to be able to have different apps, password & wallpaper on each.

So has it gone wrong or have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:51:56 pm »
Quote from: DJO
After several installs and brickings I've gone for a Std Android/Linux/Rooted Android arrangement.

I'm sure something has gone wrong as I cannot see any difference between the rooted & unrooted installations, every change I make on one appears on the other, both are rooted.

Even if both installs share the system files I would have expected to be able to have different apps, password & wallpaper on each.

So has it gone wrong or have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

As far as I know it's one android installation.  The boot.img differs so you can either boot in rooted or unrooted mode, everything else remains constant.

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
Quote from: Murple2
As far as I know it's one android installation.  The boot.img differs so you can either boot in rooted or unrooted mode, everything else remains constant.

Thanks, however when I installed them neither were rooted, I ran Magisk and now both are rooted. Is there a way to unroot the one image?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:03:08 pm by DJO »

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:38:15 am »

Thanks, however when I installed them neither were rooted, I ran Magisk and now both are rooted. Is there a way to unroot the one image?
Hmm... try flashing an non-root boot.img over the boot partition you want that standard android option - either 1,2 or 3. Was your rooted android on the 2nd or 3rd boot option? Because I wonder if you used the install function of magisk and  it changed your 1st boot.img, which I'm guessing is your non-rooted boot.

Anyway flash a regular boot.img and FYI you don't need to use the magisk install function, you just need to install magisk manager app.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:39:25 am by Murple2 »

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:19:16 am »

This has also confused me for some time.  Firstly I think (correct me if wrong) there are TWO ways of getting a rooted system

OPTION1 - Install the dual/tri boot option using the Web partitioning tool.

OPTION2- use the normal stock Android and install Magisk manager and then somehow use this to root the device - I am not very clear on this, perhaps someone can explain step by step what they did

I went with option 1 - normal boot is rooted,  silver button and power is non rooted.  When I downloaded all the files from Gemini I did a diff on them - the difference in the scatter file was there was a different boot image listed for the root one.  Everything else is the same.  So I think I have the same files in both modes but can only change the protected part of them in root mode?

I installed Magist manager as this has has the SU manager on it- i.e. a box pops up when an app wants root access.  And also one of the rootchecker apps off the play store - this correctly shows root / non root depending on how I boot.

Murple2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Quote from: rubus-3.142

This has also confused me for some time.  Firstly I think (correct me if wrong) there are TWO ways of getting a rooted system

OPTION1 - Install the dual/tri boot option using the Web partitioning tool.

OPTION2- use the normal stock Android and install Magisk manager and then somehow use this to root the device - I am not very clear on this, perhaps someone can explain step by step what they did

I went with option 1 - normal boot is rooted,  silver button and power is non rooted.  When I downloaded all the files from Gemini I did a diff on them - the difference in the scatter file was there was a different boot image listed for the root one.  Everything else is the same.  So I think I have the same files in both modes but can only change the protected part of them in root mode?

I installed Magist manager as this has has the SU manager on it- i.e. a box pops up when an app wants root access.  And also one of the rootchecker apps off the play store - this correctly shows root / non root depending on how I boot.

Installing Magisk Manager and installing Magisk is not the same thing.  You can install Magisk to the boot.img by selecting 'install' from inside the Magisk Manager app. You can unistall it by using the Magisk Manager app and selecting 'uninstall'. If you have flashed a rooted boot.img then you don't need to install Magisk, but you can install the Magisk Manager app to get the SU binary as you  point out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:34:13 am by Murple2 »