Author Topic: Google search on any character key  (Read 2610 times)

graynada

• View Profile
Google search on any character key
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:54:17 am »
Does anyone else have and know how to overcome this Gemini 'feature'?  If I press any character key while on the home screen Google Search pops up with that charter in the search bar.  This invariably leads to GS being on when I first open the device to some inadvertent button pressing by me and/or the screen.  Does anyone know how to turn off this feature as on the very rare occasions I would need it I'm very happy to go to the very considerable trouble of opening my browser to do a Google search?

joepirello

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
I agree, it's unbelievable how you can't toggle that feature in the Google app. The only way to get rid of it is disabling the Google app completely, but then you lose needed functionality, especially if you use Google Home for home automation like I do.

It's stupid and they need to implement the ability to disable that.

loop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:15:11 pm »
Quote from: graynada
Does anyone else have and know how to overcome this Gemini 'feature'?  If I press any character key while on the home screen Google Search pops up with that charter in the search bar.  This invariably leads to GS being on when I first open the device to some inadvertent button pressing by me and/or the screen.  Does anyone know how to turn off this feature as on the very rare occasions I would need it I'm very happy to go to the very considerable trouble of opening my browser to do a Google search?

This can be achived with the  latest version of Nova Launcher! Settings -> Home Screen -> Search Provider,
set to Nova Search

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:18 pm »
>>This can be achived with the  latest version of Nova Launcher! Settings -> Home Screen -> Search Provider,
set to Nova Search<<

Actually, no. If Nova Search is activated, pressing a key simply brings another search bubble. If I'm not mistaken, graynada--and me too--wants nothing to happen if a key is pressed when on Home Screen.

Jake

graynada

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 03:03:32 am »
Quote from: jakfish
>>This can be achived with the  latest version of Nova Launcher! Settings -> Home Screen -> Search Provider,
set to Nova Search<<

Actually, no. If Nova Search is activated, pressing a key simply brings another search bubble. If I'm not mistaken, graynada--and me too--wants nothing to happen if a key is pressed when on Home Screen.

Jake

Yes thanks Jake, that would be the desired outcome, plus as an aside, I don't use Nova Launcher anyway.  Maybe Oreo will be the answer.....