Author Topic: New firmware  (Read 2806 times)

smapmap

• View Profile
New firmware
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:09 am »
OK upgraded my X25 4G Gemini yesterday

- when I tried to install I got an error message - smcard full or something like that - rebooted and went perfectly at second attempt
- set up screen is presented on bot - very simple and elegant set up procedure. Much improved
- the Data app is included - seems like a good start but feels like it's in beta. Needs to have an import ability. It's not clear to me whether this is backed up in any way - so risk of data loss if you have to flash your Gemini? Also when you try and add an image to the cover of your database it crashes
- the Agenda app has been upgraded to include a new view. it's pretty nice. I have my DPI set at 600 - which unfortunately leaves a white bar at the top of the screen
- there are some more Gemini settings - you can toggle Fn Space and the smart button on and off
- my Gemini now responds to volume, next track, start stop, ff, rw via bluetooth when closed
- google assistant now works when closed - I had to reinstall Gemini Voice Assistant from the play store to get the buttons to respond
- I haven't noticed any change to LEDson
- Bluetooth seems a lot more stable - I had issues with it randomly turning off. Haven't seen this issue since the upgrade - so far so good
- there is still an issue with the A Bar - if you un-check AutoHide it intercepts keystrokes making the device unusable. Leave this on!
- I use Nova but new firmware has Launcher 3 installed I think (not sure if this is new since the last firmware??)
- Backing up Notes causes a crash
- Speakers sound MUCH better

Overall a really good update restoring some lost functionality and some new stuff to boot. Well done Planet!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:46:11 am by smapmap »

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
New firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:12:23 pm »
Quote from: smapmap
OK upgraded my X25 4G Gemini yesterday

- the Data app is included - seems like a good start but feels like it's in beta. Needs to have an import ability. It's not clear to me whether this is backed up in any way - so risk of data loss if you have to flash your Gemini? Also when you try and add an image to the cover of your database it crashes
- the Agenda app has been upgraded to include a new view. it's pretty nice. I have my DPI set at 600 - which unfortunately leaves a white bar at the top of the screen

At first glance the Data app is very beta-ish ... I've got my screen resolution set to 620 DPI, and the accelerator key descriptions and some of the other text fields are all cropped, as if there's some sort of bug in the text scaling. (Haven't created a test db yet: this is just first glance at the Database Setup screen.) Clearly it hasn't been tested at non-default DPIs before release!

gymbo

• View Profile
New firmware
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »
Quote from: Charlie Stross
At first glance the Data app is very beta-ish ... I've got my screen resolution set to 620 DPI, and the accelerator key descriptions and some of the other text fields are all cropped, as if there's some sort of bug in the text scaling. (Haven't created a test db yet: this is just first glance at the Database Setup screen.) Clearly it hasn't been tested at non-default DPIs before release!
Which is a general oversight by Planet: The Agenda app misbehaves too when setting the dpi higher than "standard".

(It actually stops working for anything but creating new entries with a setting higher than 550...!)

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New firmware
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:45:56 pm »
I just upgraded by manually flashing (all partitions apart from recovery, linux, boot2, boot3 and userdata)

it was pretty painless, as people have said, the first boot takes a few minutes.

I'm disappointed that Planet didn't fix the speaker phase, despite someone having published a kernel for debian which fixes it.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.