Author Topic: Userland and VNC  (Read 5778 times)

salvomic

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »
Hi, please,
I need some hints to use X server with UserLAnd (Debian 9.5) inside Android with VNC, as I don't want use XSDL server for now...
I've UserLand already configured, installed vnc4server and ip = 192.168.1.13, then Real VNC in the Gemini.
How can I configure to see X server (graphic) in VNC (Gemini)?
And how to do to connect from another VNC viewer, for example from macOS?

Thank you

Salvo

PS: sorry for the OT: not Gemini-Debian
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

salvomic

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:16:21 pm »
ok, I was able to go in VNC so:
Code: [Select]
export DISPLAY=:1In VNC:
127.0.0.1:1but now I've a high resolution but low color depth (256?): how can I enable full color?  EDIT: I got full color setting
vncserver -depth 32 (instead of 24) in UserLAnd.

Then, I've now a limited keyboard: I can type "/" but not "-", "~" and all symbols with FN in my Italian keyboard (with XSDL I had problems also with /).
The rest is ok!
The keyboard should be Gemini (Italian) as set in Android and it is ok in UserLand text only shell, but in X is not possible to use all the symbols with FN key.

Any help?
TIA.

Salvo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:29:55 pm by salvomic »
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.

salvomic

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:01:11 pm »
A workaround by Nicholas M. Glykos:
«I have a solution but requires a bit of work. The trick is to run tigervnc with the -RemapKeys flag.

Give it a try with

vncserver -RemapKeys="0x6F->0x2D"
and you should see that the minus key is mapped correctly. The trouble is that you have to do this for all keys of interest.»

Now, I need to remap, at least, minus "-" (here FN- and tilde "~" (here FN-s)...
Well, the Nicholas' tip continues:
«You do

apt install vtshowkeys
and then you get the correct codes from the proper termux terminal.
Then you open aterm, run again vtshowkeys and get the wrong ones. And then you add all these in the RemapKeys flags, place it in .bashrc and you are done.»
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:07:31 pm by salvomic »

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:19 pm »
Quote from: salvomic
A workaround by Nicholas M. Glykos:
«I have a solution but requires a bit of work. The trick is to run tigervnc with the -RemapKeys flag.

Give it a try with

vncserver -RemapKeys="0x6F->0x2D"
and you should see that the minus key is mapped correctly. The trouble is that you have to do this for all keys of interest.»

Now, I need to remap, at least, minus "-" (here FN- and tilde "~" (here FN-s)...
Well, the Nicholas' tip continues:
«You do

apt install vtshowkeys
and then you get the correct codes from the proper termux terminal.
Then you open aterm, run again vtshowkeys and get the wrong ones. And then you add all these in the RemapKeys flags, place it in .bashrc and you are done.»

Hi, do you know if there is a way to make this also work in UserLAnd on Android?

fn key doesnt change to alternate symbols, but still modifies loudness and brightness, so making o instead of minus
Gemini PDA x27

salvomic

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:23 am »
Quote from: gemini_user_j
Hi, do you know if there is a way to make this also work in UserLAnd on Android?

fn key doesnt change to alternate symbols, but still modifies loudness and brightness, so making o instead of minus

I don't have a simple hint, the problem in Android (in Gemini, still in Oreo 8.1) is that FN key is not handled by graphical modality for Linux emulation. Userland see it in text mode, but not in graphical mode (i.e. lxde).

Salvo

salvomic

• View Profile
Userland and VNC
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:39:43 am »
Definitely I found a workaround for Userland (lxde) + VNC:
• using "show virtual keyboard - right below - and then input "special" keys (- ~ ` and those that require FN) with "keyboard icon" of VNC - left up - it works.
I'm using "Gemini Keyboard" (Italian setting) and Gboard as keyboards. I'm using Userland for a complete Debian 9.9 distribution (SSH) and its preconfigured lxde X with VNC in Android Oreo 8.1. The only problem is that the display is too small and I had to use "pinch" to enlarge or shrink too often

Well, now it is simpler to simulate Linux in Android (not rooted) with Userland (and lxde + VNC as X).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:40:28 am by salvomic »