Author Topic: USB-C  (Read 14786 times)

gymbo

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 05:27:32 pm »
Quote from: klampfenfreak
HELP, please!

the right USB-C port on my Cosmo does absolutely nothing! Neither the power adapter nor any low power peripherie device (mouse) will be recognized while plugged in. Latest Android, no root.
Is the port defektive?
It is stated higher up in the thread as well, but just be sure to eliminate the most obvious reason it might not work: The RH USB only works when the cover display is ON...

klampfenfreak

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2020, 09:16:39 am »
Quote from: gymbo
Quote from: klampfenfreak
HELP, please!

the right USB-C port on my Cosmo does absolutely nothing! Neither the power adapter nor any low power peripherie device (mouse) will be recognized while plugged in. Latest Android, no root.
Is the port defektive?
It is stated higher up in the thread as well, but just be sure to eliminate the most obvious reason it might not work: The RH USB only works when the cover display is ON...

Yippii! With CODI on, charging works! Thank you very much!

Happy New Year @all

spook

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 08:52:21 pm »
Quote from: spook
Does anyone with a good understanding on how PCBs work have any idea what could be going on on the Cosmo re charging? It's so strange. For me the RH USB-C port charges (though slowly) when the device is powered up and the COD is on. "Great!" I think. "Finally I'll be able to connect peripherals on the LH port through a USB hub and charge through the RH port".

Nope! As soon as I connect a hub to the LH port, the CC stops charging off the RH port. I know very little about how modern PCBs charge. I do understand there is a lot of "smarts" in it, but it baffles me why plugging something in one port would stop the other from charging.

To make matters stranger (but in a good way) the LH port DOES seem to charge through a USB hub (unlike the Gemini). At least this means that I can supply some juice to the CC while using peripherals.

It is all very strange though!

I still can't quite get my head around how these USB ports work. In addition to the above, if you have peripherals plugged into the RH USB port and try to charge via the LH port, the RH port will immediately disconnect and no other devices will work in either port until you reboot. It's like the charging circuit shorts out the USB or something?

Oh and if I have a USB hub plugged into the LH port with a couple of peripherals and I plug something into the RH port, the LH port stops working... So why have 2 ports?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:56:29 pm by spook »

gymbo

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:00 am »
Does anyone with a good understanding on how PCBs work have any idea what could be going on on the Cosmo re charging? It's so strange. For me the RH USB-C port charges (though slowly) when the device is powered up and the COD is on. "Great!" I think. "Finally I'll be able to connect peripherals on the LH port through a USB hub and charge through the RH port".

Nope! As soon as I connect a hub to the LH port, the CC stops charging off the RH port. I know very little about how modern PCBs charge. I do understand there is a lot of "smarts" in it, but it baffles me why plugging something in one port would stop the other from charging.

To make matters stranger (but in a good way) the LH port DOES seem to charge through a USB hub (unlike the Gemini). At least this means that I can supply some juice to the CC while using peripherals.

It is all very strange though!

I still can't quite get my head around how these USB ports work. In addition to the above, if you have peripherals plugged into the RH USB port and try to charge via the LH port, the RH port will immediately disconnect and no other devices will work in either port until you reboot. It's like the charging circuit shorts out the USB or something?

Oh and if I have a USB hub plugged into the LH port with a couple of peripherals and I plug something into the RH port, the LH port stops working... So why have 2 ports?
Well, it DID work on the Gemini, although you couldn't charge through the hub, so if it is a hardware change, or on the software side, I haven't got any idea. But hope it is software related, as that could still be corrected...

But it sounds strange that it would even get through the prototype stage with that kind of problems. Should really be something that should be tested, that both USB ports works at the same time, and the same with charging and use of USB port!!?!

PNuT

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 11:37:43 am »
I still can't quite get my head around how these USB ports work.

I think they keep changing with the firmware updates with regards to charging, initially they appeared to charge on either side but slowly on the one side! then it would only charge on one side & now it charges on both sides again!!!

All seems to be part of the fun

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
USB-C
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 05:52:19 am »
*deleted the last post from "mmbika"

Please stay focused on the topic and do not bring your own ideology and politics into this forum.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

a1astair

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 08:07:23 pm »
[/quote]
Well, it DID work on the Gemini, although you couldn't charge through the hub, so if it is a hardware change, or on the software side, I haven't got any idea. But hope it is software related, as that could still be corrected...

But it sounds strange that it would even get through the prototype stage with that kind of problems. Should really be something that should be tested, that both USB ports works at the same time, and the same with charging and use of USB port!!?!
[/quote]

I have been doing some tests with my Cosmo re USB-C connectivity.

I have a Verbatim USB-C travel mouse that worked just fine with the Gemini, although I only use it in the right USB-C port (never tested in left port, as I am right-handed). I tried it on the Cosmo and it didn't work in either port! I then restarted the Cosmo and it works in both ports.

I recently bought a NexDock 2 via Kickstarter. It is really hit and miss if the Cosmo recognises it using the official Planet HDMI adaptor.

The only way I can get the Cosmo to see the NexDock's keyboard and touchpad is to connect it via the Planet USB-C dock. The final result is a bit messy, as I also need to plug in two cables to the Planet dock.

It would be really nice if I only had to plug in one USB-C cable to get video, keyboard and trackpad working, but that is currently only supported with Samsung and Huawei devices (Pixel coming soon).

a1astair

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 09:04:03 pm »
I picked up an HP Travel Dock on eBay:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-usb...74/product-info

This works in both Cosmo USB-C ports and provides HDMI or VGA (not at the same time), plus 2 x USB3 ports, which support USB drives and keyboard/mouse.

The Ethernet port does not work under Android, but I'm not really bothered about that.

So I can keep my fast charger connected in the left hand port and then the HP Travel Dock in the right hand port!

mmbika

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2020, 05:58:41 am »
What you good people do get audio out of HDMI cable? I haven't found anything but heard that while using USB-C HDMI cable, audio is not rooted to phone speakers and you get muted if your monitor has no audio.

mmbika

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2020, 06:12:43 pm »
Quote from: mmbika
What you good people do get audio out of HDMI cable? I haven't found anything but heard that while using USB-C HDMI cable, audio is not rooted to phone speakers and you get muted if your monitor has no audio.

I searched and have discovered a temporarily a solution to audio problem is to use a HDMI to VGA out adapter with 3.5mm audio out and connecting to monitor or display via VGA.

Now I have some more questions
(1) As there is no USB style eject for HDMI, how should it be disconnected from Cosmo & Monitor properly? Should monitor be turned off and just pull out the cable from Cosmo or first pull out the cable from Cosmo or should Cosmo be closed (sleeping and then slowly disconnect the cable?) Aim is to avoid any possible issues which may be arising out of it
(2) What will be maximum supported display resolution if HDMI is connected to say 4K monitor in Android and/or in Debian?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:55:27 pm by mmbika »

SwordfishII

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2020, 06:59:42 pm »

I searched and have discovered a temporarily a solution to audio problem is to use a HDMI to VGA out adapter with 3.5mm audio out and connecting to monitor or display via VGA.

Now I have some more questions
(1) As there is no USB style eject for HDMI, how should it be disconnected from Cosmo & Monitor properly? Should monitor be turned off and just pull out the cable from Cosmo or first pull out the cable from Cosmo or should Cosmo be closed (sleeping and then slowly disconnect the cable?) Aim is to avoid any possible issues which may be arising out of it
(2) What will be maximum supported display resolution if HDMI is connected to say 4K monitor in Android and/or in Debian?

Doesn't matter how you disconnect the adaptor/tv

sup

• View Profile
USB-C
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2020, 05:58:41 am »
How does your Cosmo charge with different chargers? I tried using a different charger (this one: https://www.axagon.eu/en/produkty/acu-pq22) and it seems slower then the one from Planet Computers.

It has USB-A and USB-C, I tried both and in an hour, I would get like 20 % increase in battery at most. USB-C supports USB-PD, so I would expect it to be quick. I will experiment with a different cable.

As for USB-A, what can I expect if it does not support PumpExpress but only quickcharge?