Author Topic: problems with SD cards  (Read 2797 times)

rodgos

• View Profile
problems with SD cards
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:39:16 pm »
I've recently, (days ago)re-flashed my Gemini with Sailfish, and rooted Android. Thinking of re-populating the new assembly, particularly with stuff from my mobile. Music and such. On the mobile, most of this is on the added SD card. On the Gemini, however, I cannot find the SD card. I would have expected it at /storage/ along with he machines own directory /storage/emulated/0. Thinking that I'd not put a card in (It was some time ago, and I've not had a lot of use for storage space), I popped the cover off and there was a 64GBcard in the slot. Thinking the card might be defective, I removed it. The machine responded to inform me that the SD card was missing. I put another, identical card in, formatted it, and all was well, except that I was unable to locate this card either. Does the Gemini have a different location for SD cards? The file structure of Android, I'm afraid, leaves me totally baffled. I have a background in Unix, whose file structure is a dream of logic and common sense. The Android developers seem to have looked at Unix, and then taken the worst of Windows to create this mess of a file stucture.

gidds

• View Profile
problems with SD cards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:46:08 am »
My SD card is mounted at /storage/7C4F-15FC/.  (The name seems to be generated from the card; a previous SD had a different name.)

If you have Termux installed, you can use e.g. 'df' to list all the mount points.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:30:59 pm by gidds »
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

rodgos

• View Profile
problems with SD cards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:00:10 am »
I'm using my mobile as a comparison, and here the SD card is listed as /mnt/media_rw/1FF9-EF20, which is all right and logical. On the Gemini, however, there is no such mount. So, the inference is that the card is there and is recognised (as per the response when I removed the card), but has not been mounted. Android does not appear to use the Linux convention of /etc/fstab, since there is no such file, although the command mount -a does go through the motions, to inform me that /etc/fstab does not exist. This in itself is odd. We have a Unix/Linux command which has no use or value within the operating system which holds it. The Gemini is rooted, so the usual su commands are executed.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
problems with SD cards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:53 pm »
Quote from: rodgos
I'm using my mobile as a comparison, and here the SD card is listed as /mnt/media_rw/1FF9-EF20, which is all right and logical. On the Gemini, however, there is no such mount. So, the inference is that the card is there and is recognised (as per the response when I removed the card), but has not been mounted. Android does not appear to use the Linux convention of /etc/fstab, since there is no such file, although the command mount -a does go through the motions, to inform me that /etc/fstab does not exist. This in itself is odd. We have a Unix/Linux command which has no use or value within the operating system which holds it. The Gemini is rooted, so the usual su commands are executed.
Which kind of filesystem is on the card? Maybe exfat? Afaik exfat is not supported on Android with the Gemini.

Mith

rodgos

• View Profile
problems with SD cards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:59:17 pm »
Re Mithrandir, The first thing the machine does when you insert an SD card is check on the filesystem type. If it's not to its liking it re-formats it, and it's unlikely to be something the machine cannot read.

I've been playing around a bit more, and am even more puzzled, as a consequence. I tend to use Es File Explorer. I don't particularly like it, but, of the many I've tried it seems to be the least worst. It still ignores the external storage card. I tried a couple more and they likewise ignore it. Casting about, I did find, in the default apps that came with the install, another file manager, with the usual title 'File Manager' and no acknowledgements. The icon for this was seemingly a wooden box, or may have been a filing cabinet drawer, of the old variety with a CD disc and other objects in it. This, oddly did show the external card under the title SanDisk, but showed no other storage, like the normal sdcard title.

Even odder, in populating the Music directory with files FTP'd from my phone, I found that both internal and external storage, as depicted in the two file managers, had the same music files installed. Deleting the ones in SanDisk, so as to know which I was looking at, a few minutes later, the ones in the other (Internal) storage disappeared too. Even odder, looking through other directories, I came across a photo which I knew had not been taken on the Gemini, but on my mobile phone. I've no idea how the thing got on there. The FTP operation was not between the Gemini and the phone. Instead, I'd sent the file to my PC which runs Mageia Linux, and is an FTP server, and taken them from there onto the Gemini. I took another pic with the phone, and a minute or two later, it too appeared on the Gemini.

I've been looking at Sailfish, which I also installed and I'm not impressed. Too much flash and not enough substance. I tend to take a utilitarian stand with computers. It's a tool and requires no embellishment. It's simply there to do a job, and nothing else. So, I've decided to break it all down, and re-flash it with Android and Debian. although I'm not at all happy with Debian either. As an old Unix hand, I'm a bit aghast at having a system where any user can assume root powers simply by typing sudo. It's one of the reasons I never voluntarily use Windows with it's haphazard admin functions. Although I'm the only user on my machines, I am acutely conscious of being either one or the other. I picked Mageia, or Mandrake as it was then, as the nearest I was going to get to a proper system.

Cheers, Rod Goslin

gidds

• View Profile
problems with SD cards
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »
Quote from: rodgos
I'm using my mobile as a comparison, and here the SD card is listed as /mnt/media_rw/1FF9-EF20, which is all right and logical.
My SD is listed under /mnt/media_rw/ too — but it's mounted under /storage/.  For example, `df -h` returns:

Code: [Select]
Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/mnt/media_rw/7C4F-15FC 367G  341G   25G  94% /storage/7C4F-15FC
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro