Author Topic: Sailfish updates without full reflash  (Read 3213 times)

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Sailfish updates without full reflash
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:01:52 pm »
Hi,
I am mentally preparing for the Cosmo. I don't want to use Android on a phone for privacy reasons (using Debian on the Gemini, but that is not really an option for using the device as a phone), so Sailfish might be the best option. With this a few questions regarding Sailfish have arisen:

There might only be a community edition available initially. Is it possible upgrade to official without having to reflash?
Is it possible to update Sailfish without having to reflash?
What about X11 compatibility, is this possible somehow?
Hardware support (USB devices) and filesystem support is some kind restricted with the Android kernel. Has anyone tried the modular kernel with Sailfish?

Thx+regards
mith

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:39:10 am »
Quote from: mithrandir
I am mentally preparing for the Cosmo. I don't want to use Android on a phone for privacy reasons (using Debian on the Gemini, but that is not really an option for using the device as a phone), so Sailfish might be the best option.
Yep, me too. I am using sailfish on the gemini at the moment, but hope to use it on the cosmo too,

There might only be a community edition available initially. Is it possible upgrade to official without having to reflash?
I don't know about this one. I can't get the official release as I live outside the EU. I could easily download it via VPN, but they asked nicely not to do this

Yes. I upgraded 2.x to 3.x from the terminal (you should also be able to update via the gui, but maybe only for the commercial version)

What about X11 compatibility, is this possible somehow?
Some people have got a chroot version of ubuntu running - I haven't. I haven't worked out how to do it yet, although I didn't spend much time. Sailfish is wayland only afaik

Hardware support (USB devices) and filesystem support is some kind restricted with the Android kernel. Has anyone tried the modular kernel with Sailfish?
There is support for a few USB devices - I haven't tried the modular kernel as this is my daily driver and I don't want to put it out of commision for too long  I have used
joysticks (for game emulation), USB sticks, other mass storage (eg cameras etc). External DVD player (through powered hub) didn't work. Same with usb->ethernet.

Thx+regards
mith

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:59:49 am »

Yes. See method 4.2 at this weblink: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836347
I just did this yesterday in order to update from 3.0.13 to 3.2. It went very easily and took about 45 minutes, I think. (I didn't time it, but it felt like less than an hour.)

Ian