Author Topic: KDE is usable after all  (Read 8643 times)

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« on: June 09, 2019, 12:25:02 pm »
So out of frustration with LXQt, I had not bothered using my Gemini much on the Linux side but I just came back to it recently.

It turns out that you can actually use KDE, you just have to make sure that its global keyboard shortcut daemon is not running.

You can find it within the KSysguard task manager. The process name is kglobalaccel5. Just kill it and your keyboard will work as normal.

If you don't want to have to keep killing the process, just have root make kglobalaccel5 non executable

sudo chmod 444 /usr/bin/kglobalaccel5

The downside of not running the global shortcut manager is that KWin shortcuts will no longer work. But on the other hand, KDE Plasma is much better suited for touch use and the task bar can actually be used, unlike in LXQt.

You can also set up KDE Plasma to put applications' menu bars inside of your panel and save vertical screen real estate.

Eric BF

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:50:50 am »
Great to hear. Do power management aspects continue to work as expected, including lid actions?
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian

szilveszter domotor

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 05:28:00 am »
Please write detailed instructions how to install KDE/Gnome kdm/gdm on gemini. I tried and gave up as there is no way to see the bootup messages/console without F1-F4, so it just resulted splash screen maybe forever . Interesting as I don't really satisfied with the lxqt gui. I also would be happy to have console TTY 1 during the boot and able to resolve problems with the X sessions

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 02:45:29 pm »
Quote from: szilveszter domotor
Please write detailed instructions how to install KDE/Gnome kdm/gdm on gemini. I tried and gave up as there is no way to see the bootup messages/console without F1-F4, so it just resulted splash screen maybe forever . Interesting as I don't really satisfied with the lxqt gui. I also would be happy to have console TTY 1 during the boot and able to resolve problems with the X sessions

1. Open  an LXTerminal

2. Type the following command with Entezr at the end of each one.
Code: [Select]
sudo apt update
sudo apt install task-kde-desktop

3. Log out and then reboot
4. Upon reboot choose KDE Plasma from the top of the list of possible desktop environments in the login manager
5. Once into KDE, you can launch Konsole or LXTerminal  and follow the steps in the OP to kill and disable KDE Global Shortcuts manager

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 03:57:55 pm »
Thanks for all the info on this, jornada720!

Any chance of a pic of your new desktop?

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 09:16:39 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark

Sure. See attached.

I still have to get the workaround for my menus within the panel but I did figure the way to remove decorations from windows that are maximized.

To get that, edit kwinrc inside of the .config directory. Locate the section that says [Windows] and put this at the top on its own line and then save and close. Might have to log out to get it to work.

BorderlessMaximizedWindows=true
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:22:49 am by jornada720 »

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 09:28:47 am »
Quote from: Eric BF
Great to hear. Do power management aspects continue to work as expected, including lid actions?

Yes, KDE has full even better support for power management than LXQt. The power actions are very configurable.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:00 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
Quote from: ArchiMark

Sure. See attached.

I still have to get the workaround for my menus within the panel but I did figure the way to remove decorations from windows that are maximized.

To get that, edit kwinrc inside of the .config directory. Locate the section that says [Windows] and put this at the top on its own line and then save and close. Might have to log out to get it to work.

BorderlessMaximizedWindows=true

Thanks for sharing!

Looks good...
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Eric BF

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 02:10:05 pm »
Yes, KDE has full even better support for power management than LXQt. The power actions are very configurable.
Excellent.  Thanks.
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian

szilveszter domotor

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 07:18:21 am »
Good thanks, I have tryed with apt to get GDM working but it ended up with forever loading gemini . Will try KDE, long time did not use KDE , but if it works still better then the default LXQt UI.

szilveszter domotor

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:30:33 am »
well I need to workarounding..., middle of KDE install somehow libreoffice came into the picture again and giving erre, actually I purged libre ages ago... so delete purge fix-broken remove. Why this libreoffice causing too much pain? Am i missing a repo, which contains the latest libre or I just used an old image I guess about 30 days since my last reflash.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 08:15:58 pm »
The downside of not running the global shortcut manager is that KWin shortcuts will no longer work. But on the other hand, KDE Plasma is much better suited for touch use and the task bar can actually be used, unlike in LXQt.
In my opinion, not having the usual shortcuts, i.e. Alt+Tab is a bit pointless on a device like the Gemini.

It looks like the keypresses get intercepted by  kglobalaccel5. I have not been able to find out why. xev shows focus events for the non working keys. This means the keypresses are getting forwarded somewhere else. Does anyone know how to monitor shortcut events? if we find out which event gets triggered we might try to disable the event causing the problems and not disable the whole service.Could also be some problem with the keymap files for the Gemini. Unsure how to investigate...

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 12:19:59 am »
Quote from: mithrandir
In my opinion, not having the usual shortcuts, i.e. Alt+Tab is a bit pointless on a device like the Gemini.

It looks like the keypresses get intercepted by  kglobalaccel5. I have not been able to find out why. xev shows focus events for the non working keys. This means the keypresses are getting forwarded somewhere else. Does anyone know how to monitor shortcut events? if we find out which event gets triggered we might try to disable the event causing the problems and not disable the whole service.Could also be some problem with the keymap files for the Gemini. Unsure how to investigate...

One workaround is to use a different window manager than KWin. Most have their own shortcuts that can be managed.

Although KWin is actually the best WM in my opinion. It can do tiling and has a shortcut for pretty much any action.

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 12:21:37 am »
well I need to workarounding..., middle of KDE install somehow libreoffice came into the picture again and giving erre, actually I purged libre ages ago... so delete purge fix-broken remove. Why this libreoffice causing too much pain? Am i missing a repo, which contains the latest libre or I just used an old image I guess about 30 days since my last reflash.
Please post your output after running this command

apt -f install

szilveszter domotor

• View Profile
KDE is usable after all
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 03:53:12 am »
Please post your output after running this command

apt -f install
I could get rid of the piceses left over after deleting libre from the catalog as Plasma has include libre , so rm -r .../archive/libre* , then apt-get --fix-missing then just install plasma worked... However it still not solved the problem with the power management 4 hours -> 10% battery, and it was on a 2A charger