Author Topic: e-sim for USA visit ?  (Read 5825 times)

highjohn

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
I will be visiting the USA (from the UK).

Is there a short-term e-sim I can get from a US network, that works with the Gemini?

Thanks,

Highjohn

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:26:38 am »
How about these people? https://www.airalo.com/united-states. Not used them yet but will shortly when I'm in Spain as a trial run.

Dixit

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
Quote from: inspectorman
How about these people? https://www.airalo.com/united-states. Not used them yet but will shortly when I'm in Spain as a trial run.

Cool stuff ! The data prices are actually much better than those of our (Belgian) normal networks.

Keep us informed how it works.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:59:04 am »
Well, the esim concept from Airalo proved to be impossible to implement. Having spent a whole 2 dollars on a 1gb 7 day SIM for Spain, i have failed to get it to work. Two methods of installation are offered: the scanning of a QR code, or the input of an activation code manually. Neither work. I've informed them, but realise Gemini pdas and the ESim wallet are well down their list. Maybe things will improve when they release their apps.

gymbo

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 05:11:18 pm »
Well, the esim concept from Airalo proved to be impossible to implement. Having spent a whole 2 dollars on a 1gb 7 day SIM for Spain, i have failed to get it to work. Two methods of installation are offered: the scanning of a QR code, or the input of an activation code manually. Neither work. I've informed them, but realise Gemini pdas and the ESim wallet are well down their list. Maybe things will improve when they release their apps.
Hmm, kind of strange, as they actually list the Gemini as one of the phones compatible with their e-sim... And the eSIM Wallet seems to support both methods of installation as well (although it will be kind of difficult to get the "scan QR-code"-method unless you have the camera add-on...).

Are you on Android 7 or 8?

Anybody else got it to work? I usually get the same conditions as I have at home when I am abroad, but would be good to know an E-SIM-provider that I can actually use, if I should go to a country where I DON'T get that, and I thought Airalo looked promising..

jofe

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:25:22 pm »

Have you had a look at this blog? Followed Jans instructiona and the esim looks like it loaded ok. Still to activate and test it.

https://jankrupa.com/no

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:49:47 am »
Well, the pointer from the previous post fixed it for me. Once you've read jankrupa's post at https://tinyurl.com/y5eu6vfw, it's clear that Bypass TLS Authentication needs to be selected in the Network section of the eSIM Wallet in order to allow installation. The nice people at Airalo sent me a voucher, I bought a little UK eSIM, and within 5 minutes I was downloading an app update over the eSIM.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 06:07:49 am »
... or not. Had failed to switch off data on the normal SIM (even though roaming was off) and I was looking at that SIM getting data. So far I have managed to kill the profile of my UK test SIM, downloaded and installed another, but no joy so far. Says I have 3G but no data, even though data and roaming are enabled on the eSIM.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:16 am »
Progress, I think. When shooting screenshots of everything for Airalo support, I went to Settings / Network and Internet / SIM cards and found down that page Preferred SIM for Mobile data was set to 3 UK (my "normal" SIM), and had not been set to "Play", despite the installation of the eSIM having gone OK, data roaming and mobile data switched off for 3 UK and data roaming and mobile data switched on for "Play".

Once the Preferred SIM had been set to "Play", browsers worked, WhatsApp blipped so I think we're there now. Not the easiest install but Airalo have been supportive throughout.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:44:21 am »
Finally - after 15MB of streamed data, the eSIM Wallet application crashed. No profile to be seen in the Wallet and all commands end with either "eSIM Wallet has stopped" or "Error occurred. ES10c. GetEID operation failed. AID not found on eUICC (3) "

Bought a third test eSIM for the UK but, even after a restart on the Gemini, eSIM Wallet refuses to do anything except repeat the error messages. Reset to default on the eSIM Wallet produces no change in this loop.

Not really customer ready in my experience.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 04:22:50 am »
All quiet from both Airalo and Planet support. Esims off the menu for now, I guess.

inspectorman

• View Profile
e-sim for USA visit ?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 04:39:54 pm »
Oooh look an airalo app. All my problems will be over.

Nope. Fixes nothing and has no effect on my Gemini. E-SIM functionality still broken. Deafening silence from Airalo and Planet Computers.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:40:18 pm by inspectorman »