Author Topic: Keys getting stuck  (Read 6344 times)

iJacks

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« on: November 26, 2019, 08:56:50 am »
Does anybody know a, safe, way to remove the keys on the Cosmo?  My "S" key keeps getting stuck, probably a bad spring not returning to the right position.  I'll be getting in touch with PC about this, but in the meantime was wondering if there is anything I can do myself?

maki.jouni

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:28:26 am »
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

iJacks

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 10:40:01 am »
Quote from: maki.jouni
https://geminiplanet.com/how-to-clean-the-gemini-keyboard/

Thank you.  Good job I have my Gemini at home.  The Cosmo doesn't have the removal tool (no need for it).  Hopefully it just needs to be reseated...

Tom D

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 03:09:08 pm »
The one area I have noticed this from the time I received the Cosmo is in the top row keys. Numbers either don't work or type double. It makes entering passwords challenging. I've gotten used to it, as I use a very slow, deliberate quick, forceful press and release on these keys and it works most of the time. It does slow me down, but I'm hoping that the keys (or whatever) will settle over time and become more reliable.

iJacks

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:58:33 pm »
So far I've had to remove almost all of the keys on the left hand side and replace them.  Seems that they are not sitting quite flush (from a rotational perspective) and are hitting each other every now and then.  Seems a little better now, time will tell.  Mind you, considering the delays for "quality control" issues I am a touch disappointed with the keyboard - especially when this was one of the main failings of the first batch of Gemini devices.

gidds

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 07:02:40 pm »
Quote from: iJacks
Does anybody know a, safe, way to remove the keys on the Cosmo?

Assuming it's the same as the Gemini and Psion 5mx: a blob of Blu Tack has always worked for me.

Press it down firmly to cover most of a key (but none of the surrounding ones), then yank it sharply upwards; the keytop will usually come with it.  (May need a few goes until you get the hang of it.)

I think this way is safer than the alternative of trying to lever the keytops off, as it has no hard surfaces to do any damage, and the keytops seem to come off much easier if they're kept straight and level.

(While you're there, you can also use the Blu Tack to remove dust and debris from the rubber mat under the keytops.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 09:31:09 am »
Unfortunately my G key gets its top-left edge stuck down - if I press it down off-centre towards that corner at all (not pushing it sideways, mind). I suppose I'm lucky it's just the one. I've attached some photos of the situation. When it's stuck, the corner remains pretty much touching the floor.

@gidds Thanks for letting us know about your blu-tack trick; I'll try that!

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 09:56:26 am »
Ah dear.

Well, removing keys with blu-tack worked great - see the attached photos for what the inside looks like.

I thoroughly dabbed blu-tack all over the underside of the key and the slot, but it didn't change anything.

So now there's two C-shaped stuck out bits that form a sort of X shape. I noticed a lip at the top of one of the C's which I thought might be a mistake from the plastic casting mold and the cause of the stickiness, so.. I scraped it off with a tiny screwdriver. Unfortunately, this hasn't improved the situation a whole lot, at the cost of the key no longer having much resistance to coming off. Derp. I may have to request a replacement key. We'll see how it lasts.

So I'd recommend not scraping off the lip xP

jutleys

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
I also had problems with one key n0 4 i fixed with the blu tack method pic to the left was before and right after

TheBruce

• View Profile
    • http://
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 03:22:40 am »
Have my Cosmo for three weeks now. For a device that should be a winner because of the physical keyboard, I'm not impressed: left shift key and X don't register unless pressed very firmly. Spacebar is unreliable. About 50% of the time it works, and about half of that time it puts out 2 spaces. Sent PC an email about this, but apart from getting a confirmation that the email was received, no reply. Needless to say I'm not happy with this.
Is this something that will get better with use or is this just a crappy design?

TheBruce

• View Profile
    • http://
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 07:15:01 am »
Quote from: TheBruce
Have my Cosmo for three weeks now. For a device that should be a winner because of the physical keyboard, I'm not impressed: left shift key and X don't register unless pressed very firmly. Spacebar is unreliable. About 50% of the time it works, and about half of that time it puts out 2 spaces. Sent PC an email about this, but apart from getting a confirmation that the email was received, no reply. Needless to say I'm not happy with this.
Is this something that will get better with use or is this just a crappy design?
Follow-up: got an email from PC-support today that the keys may need to be reseated (take them off, clean underneath, put back on). Tried it, but it doesn't help at all (as I expected after reading the other posts in this thread). Will follow-up again with PC and keep you informed.

Ninji

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
Quote from: Tom D
The one area I have noticed this from the time I received the Cosmo is in the top row keys. Numbers either don't work or type double. It makes entering passwords challenging. I've gotten used to it, as I use a very slow, deliberate quick, forceful press and release on these keys and it works most of the time. It does slow me down, but I'm hoping that the keys (or whatever) will settle over time and become more reliable.
Do you get this everywhere or just in certain apps? I have noticed that certain input fields give me double inputs on numbers, but it seems like a software issue as most fields handle them properly.

Tom D

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:51 am »
Quote from: Ninji
Quote from: Tom D
Do you get this everywhere or just in certain apps? I have noticed that certain input fields give me double inputs on numbers, but it seems like a software issue as most fields handle them properly.

Everywhere. the worst are the center number keys - 4-6.

vldmr

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 09:20:57 am »
Several people (me including) reported that keyboard does take some time to break in with usage. I did have few keys that were hard to register, now after month and a half I can not say I have any problem with that. Of course, your mileage may be different

Ali baba

• View Profile
Keys getting stuck
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:30 pm »
Quote from: TheBruce

i have a problem with the T key, its only responsive if you press on the left side. or the middle very hard, the right side no response.