Author Topic: Poor battery life  (Read 24585 times)

vader

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 12:38:25 am »
I've had the cosmo for about 2 weeks now, and I'm easily getting a day out of it. Off the charger (left side) at 6am, back from work around 6pm, lots of use during the evening (it is still a new toy  ), and I am around 30-40%. I connect a smart watch, so I have disabled Duraspeed, and routinely turn off the cover (and LEDs) with the silver button when I close the cosmo. The display pops back when something happens (eg sms, email etc). Not had any battery issues. I will say that I completely charged it before turning on for the first time - and this must be the first time I have ever done this.....

It is 3:30pm here, and the battery is currently 70%, I have made a few phone calls, visited many web pages and read email/sms. So, 9.5 hours for 30% is about 3% per hour. Not all that bad. I have 4G data turned on, I'm connected to the corporate wifi, and my watch is connected via bluetooth.

If you are having battery problems, have you checkout out the battery settings? It can show a graph of the battery usage, and what apps have used the most etc. Oh, My screen is at about 50% brightness.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 10:26:10 am »
Quote from: vader
If you are having battery problems, have you checkout out the battery settings? It can show a graph of the battery usage, and what apps have used the most etc. Oh, My screen is at about 50% brightness.

I get the graph, but I get "data not available" below.  I check here often and have never seen app data here.  I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that I've got wrong.
I take it you do see the list of apps and their power usage, @vader?

mitchelln

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 10:33:14 am »
Same here. I get no battery usage stats available.

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 04:06:48 pm »
My Cosmo's battery bleeds out like a guillotined French nobleman.

"Lucky" if it makes 12 hours JUST ON and little used.

Planet had the audacity to tell me that my battery performs better than all the Cosmos in their offices!

WTH?!

P.S. I regret backing this novel and severely dysfunctional thing.

drhood

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 10:06:20 am »
Quote from: vader
I've had the cosmo for about 2 weeks now, and I'm easily getting a day out of it. Off the charger (left side) at 6am, back from work around 6pm, lots of use during the evening (it is still a new toy  ), and I am around 30-40%. I connect a smart watch, so I have disabled Duraspeed, and routinely turn off the cover (and LEDs) with the silver button when I close the cosmo. The display pops back when something happens (eg sms, email etc). Not had any battery issues. I will say that I completely charged it before turning on for the first time - and this must be the first time I have ever done this.....

It is 3:30pm here, and the battery is currently 70%, I have made a few phone calls, visited many web pages and read email/sms. So, 9.5 hours for 30% is about 3% per hour. Not all that bad. I have 4G data turned on, I'm connected to the corporate wifi, and my watch is connected via bluetooth.

After about a week of use, I report similar experience. I am getting more than a day's use out of the battery. Currently, after 22 hours, I have 25% battery remaining and Android estimates next recharge will be in 7 hours. My usage has been SMS testing, Notes App, Audio Podcasts, and web browsing (news and this forum). I recharge the Cosmo when the battery is down to less than 10% (sometimes less than 5%). The next week will include same use but with some YouTube video watching.

I will be happy with a 24+ hour battery life; however, I will appreciate any software optimizations that can make the battery last longer.

Cheers!

drpeter

• View Profile
    • http://
Poor battery life
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 10:35:28 am »
My unit, with essentially no use and all radios turned off & no SIM installed will last ~3 days from a full charge with outer screen turned off (in Cosmo Settings) and ~1.5 days with outer screen turned on- in both cases with battery saver switched off.  So baseline 'standby' battery drain for the outer screen unit appears essentially the same as for the main unit...

AP756

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 04:05:32 pm »
Just my two cents. According to the spec sheet the battery capacity should be 4220mAh. Tested my Cosmo with a program named Ampere and got 2900mAh. Hmm. I think I missed something...

Bye for now  Fred

vldmr

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 10:10:14 am »
Quote from: AP756
Just my two cents. According to the spec sheet the battery capacity should be 4220mAh. Tested my Cosmo with a program named Ampere and got 2900mAh. Hmm. I think I missed something...

From the horse's mouth:

Code: [Select]
dumpsys battery
Current Battery Service state:
  AC powered: false
  USB powered: true
  Wireless powered: false
  Max charging current: 500000
  Max charging voltage: 5000000
  Charge counter: 2946000
  health: 2
  present: true
  level: 100
  scale: 100
  voltage: 4418
  temperature: 230
  technology: Li-ion
cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/capacity
cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_full
Looks like thats where number from your app come from. I am not sure how much you can rely on those numbers coming from drivers. I would only trust if someone would measure the actual charge from discharged state with a meter.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 10:20:14 am »
I've noticed that when I'm mostly home on the weekend and on WiFi, my battery lasts much longer than on weekdays when I'm commuting and on LTE (my office's corporate WiFi is too annoying to deal with so I'm on LTE all day).

Weekend at home on WiFi: from 100% at 07h30 to 30% at 10h30.  

Weekday at work on LTE: from 100% at 06h30 to 5% at 10h30 (most days I give it a quick boost whilst at my desk - from say 55% to 65% - just so I can have enough to end the day at 15% or so).

I have been using it quite a lot.  Reading books keeps the screen on a lot, things staying alive in background like IRC running in Termux, VoIP via MizuDroid, BT connection to Smartwatch and to BT headset.
I've also disabled DuraSpeed and allowed a few apps to run in the background un-optimized, per @vader and others' helpful advice for watch users.

One thing I have noticed with my other Li-Ion devices and with previous smartphones, battery performance does improve over time as you use them compared to out-of-the-box.  I know Li-Ion is not supposed to have memory but maybe there is a break-in period?

mitchelln

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 11:06:53 am »
Oh for goodness sake! Even switched right off after charging the Cosmo to 100% (not standby), after 3 days the battery is completely dead. Nothing ruins a lithium battery quicker than keep discharging it completely. If switching off completely isn’t an option to stop complete battery drain, then what is the answer?
This simply isn’t good enough Planet!

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 12:47:27 pm »
I forgot to note earlier:
Every once in awhile, some process or other consumes a lot of power.  I don't know what it is, but opening / unlocking seems to resolve it.
Whatever it is, it makes the front side of the device warm, especially right under the cover display.
While I can see the sharp downturn in the Battery Usage monitor-graph, I cannot see what app is causing the drain.  I always see "Battery usage data isn't available".
Does anyone else get that?  I wonder if it correlates with people who have disabled DuraSpeed?

Maybe if I can figure out how to get that usage data working I can troubleshoot to find what app or process occasionally attacks my battery.

mitchelln

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »
I'm beginning to suspect that the battery stats has been deliberately disabled to hide a problem.

shinkamui

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 04:27:59 pm »
Turn off the cover display (not sleep, completely disable it using the quicktoggle or cosmo settings).   Until the firmware is updated, there is a serious problem with the display.  Doing this has more than doubled my battery life, and significantly improved my standby time.  I no longer need to charge every night on light days.

gymbo

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 07:51:38 pm »
Quote from: mitchelln
Oh for goodness sake! Even switched right off after charging the Cosmo to 100% (not standby), after 3 days the battery is completely dead. Nothing ruins a lithium battery quicker than keep discharging it completely. If switching off completely isn’t an option to stop complete battery drain, then what is the answer?
This simply isn’t good enough Planet!

As "shinkamui" says:
Quote from: shinkamui
Turn off the cover display (not sleep, completely disable it using the quicktoggle or cosmo settings).   Until the firmware is updated, there is a serious problem with the display.  Doing this has more than doubled my battery life, and significantly improved my standby time.  I no longer need to charge every night on light days.

As I understand it, if you don't disable it, the processor for the cover display is still "on" (and interprets things like the side button to turn the device on), and the cover display (or probably it's processor) has terrible power consumption with the current firmware... Hope that can help...

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2019, 10:28:13 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey
Maybe if I can figure out how to get that usage data working I can troubleshoot to find what app or process occasionally attacks my battery.

After a bit of checking, people say the way to resolve the "Battery usage data not available" isue is to boot in recovery mode and wipe the cache.

I tried rebooting and holding down the ESC button, holding down ESC plus Side button, and holding down just the Side button, but none of those gets me into recovery mode.

Does anyone know how to get into the recovery menu?