Author Topic: External display wakes up by BG app activity  (Read 2500 times)

vldmr

• View Profile
External display wakes up by BG app activity
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:19:10 am »
I noticed that my external periodically turns on and flash K-9 mail application icon, while there is no actual notification from the app if I open the main screen after that. Can anyone confirm does the included email application shows same behaviour?

I am not using stock email program because I use custom build of K-9 with password protection. So I am wondering if this is something I should look into fixing if the stock app does not wake up screen on checks.

Tom D

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:41:42 am »
Quote from: vldmr
I noticed that my external periodically turns on and flash K-9 mail application icon, while there is no actual notification from the app if I open the main screen after that. Can anyone confirm does the included email application shows same behaviour?

I am not using stock email program because I use custom build of K-9 with password protection. So I am wondering if this is something I should look into fixing if the stock app does not wake up screen on checks.

Sometimes apps show a notification when the are checking email. You might be able to disable that in the app.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
Quote from: Tom D
Sometimes apps show a notification when the are checking email. You might be able to disable that in the app.

In K-9 you can turn this off.  It is a setting at the account level (not at the global level).

Account Settings : Notifications : Sync Notifications (notify in status bar while mail is checked).

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:05:00 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey
In K-9 you can turn this off.  It is a setting at the account level (not at the global level).

Account Settings : Notifications : Sync Notifications (notify in status bar while mail is checked).
Thanks much! Did not occur to me to dig into account settings. I hope now I will save lots of battery juice by quieting external display.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 12:13:00 am »
this issue is somewhat hilarious. when the battery gets below 15% it pops up a notification whenever the phone locks.... which forces the front display to basically always wake up and turn on. draining battery ever faster....

dubbed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04:20 am »
It is possible to disable those background notifications per-app basis, but it would be great if such notifications could be disabled globally. Yesterday I've turned off background notifications in Airmail, Riot, today google maps is blinking on my cover screen every few minutes...