Author Topic: CODI update  (Read 11277 times)

Tom D

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:00 am »
After 50+ attempts, I finally got it to work. Here are the things I did:

1. Do Not Disturb
2. Airplane Mode with Do Not Disturb
3. Removing all notifications including persistent notification like weather and my watch connection.
4. Cover Display ON or Cover Display OFF

So at the end, I had Do Not Disturb, Airplane Mode, No Notifications, and Cover Display OFF. It still said it failed, but one more reboot and it took anyway. Now it says it is the latest. I thought there was supposed to be something about the Cover Display working in landscape mode, but it doesn't for me. However, I don't care about that, at least I have a External Display again and can answer the phone with the device closed. What an ordeal!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:44:40 am by Tom D »

iJacks

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 11:59:33 am »
Quote from: Tom D

1. Do Not Disturb
3. Removing all notifications including persistent notification like weather and my watch connection.

So at the end, I had Do Not Disturb, Airplane Mode, No Notifications, and Cover Display OFF. It still said it failed, but one more reboot and it took anyway. Now it says it is the latest. I thought there was supposed to be something about the Cover Display working in landscape mode, but it doesn't for me. However, I don't care about that, at least I have a External Display again and can answer the phone with the device closed. What an ordeal!

Landscape mode is hidden under settings (swipe right to left to get icon menu, then the cog icon).  You can then change the layout to Fixed portrait or landscape or auto rotate.  Personally I found the auto rotate a bit too sensitive, but YMMV.

Glad you got it updated in the end!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 06:03:58 pm »
Quote from: Tom D

1. Do Not Disturb

Just got my Cosmo today (yeah!....)......

Did the firmware update OK......

But like most, I'm having problem getting the CODI update to flash......

Have tried the settings shown in Tom's post shown above, but to no success....have tried a lot of times, including restarting, but always fails with the Error updating cover display! message.

Should I just keep trying and hoping it will eventually work or ?

thanks,

Mark

UPDATE

Well, kept trying again and again and finally, it started to flash......took about 20 minutes or so, then when it appeared to be done, it started all over again by itself. This time it got to 100% and said it was successfully updated!

Crazy......
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:52:40 pm by ArchiMark »
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Beiriannydd

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 08:48:12 pm »
I just went through the same pain.  The same combination of things did not work for me.  Swapping settings while in the flash program, not touching the second screen or fingerprint sensor seemed to eventually make it work for me.  You know it is working when a yellow bar starts progressing slowly across the screen.  This took about 30 mins for the resources and then it does a second stage where it is flashing the firmware.  Don't abort before the second stage.  Flashing said successful afterwards but it failed to reset the cover display (it still seemed to be showing 'Hello I am Cosmo' when it wanted to be able to talk to the display.  Be persistent is all I can suggest.

adfh

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 01:12:44 am »
The "takes 20-30 minutes and fails" isn't just me then? ... sooo frustrating!

So from reading this thread, am I right in thinking that the communications channel between the primary Cosmo processor, and the secondary cover processor used for relaying notifications, is the same channel used for firmware updates, and ANY notifications (has anyone noticed CODI itself sets a notification) that might be sent to the screen corrupt the transfer because they get injected in with the firmware data?

Does anyone else think that not being able to exclusively lock the channel during a firmware update is a tad bonkers?

Edit: Ok.. I did the following:
  • Switched back from Nova Launcher to Launcher3
  • Disabled notifications explicitly on AccuBattery
  • Set Do Not Disturb
  • Set Airplane mode
  • Disabled WiFi
  • Disabled NFC (noticed it wasn't working whilst display wasn't working, have GPay enabled, thought they could be related / using common data channel)
  • Avoided touching the cover display touchscreen at any time during update
  • Cleared app switching cache (Eg. Alt tab screens) so prior CODI status forgotten
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 02:25:35 am by adfh »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 11:23:46 am »
Just thought I'd report my experience:
Opened the Cover Display Assistant, was informed of new update.  It downloaded the flash and then the resource download.
It started to apply the resource download first.  It failed out almost immediately.

I remembered what I had read here earlier (thank you to all who went before!) and so I tried:
1) Turn Cover Display off (swipe down from the top, Quick Settings : Cover Display to OFF); and
2) Enable Airplane Mode

After this, the resource update took a long time (15-20 minutes as it says) but it proceeded without error.
Then the flash update took less time (5 minutes or less) and proceeded without error.

Zogzog

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 03:04:15 pm »
Got it successfully flashed on the fifth time, look like I should feel lucky...

Done nothing special, first time I rebooted the device, then I tried the four next times one after the other. (isn't that the definition of madness ?)

First time it failed instantly.
Second, and third times after the reboot it failed at 36%
Fourth time instantly again.........
Fifth time was fine....the only one time I didn't look at the device. (may be pudic )
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:05:17 pm by Zogzog »

zottel

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2019, 12:25:00 am »
All in all, it took 9 attempts for me until the cover display update was successfully flashed. Four times, it showed an error right at the beginning after some 30s or so. For the rest of the unsuccessful attempts, it just got stuck at some point, the progress bar didn't move on anymore, but no error message appeared. This seems to have been triggered by events on the Cosmo:
  • The first time, I didn't know how flaky the flashing was and started doing other stuff on my Cosmo. The update immediately got stuck.
  • The second time, it stopped when an email came in. From then on, I used flight mode and do not disturb.
  • Not sure about the third time, but I think the "problem" may have been reaching 100% state of charge. Just to be sure, I deactivated Tasker, then.
  • The fourth time, it got stuck when I switched off the lights in the room and the display was dimmed down. So I switched off adaptive display brightness. I also took the Cosmo off the mains because I wanted to take it somewhere else with me. I don't think this had an effect, but who knows?
  • The fifth time it worked.
It seems to me that whenever something happens in the background that uses a considerable amount of CPU, flashing the cover display fails. I hope this will be improved. Right now, it's a bit like trying to burn CDs under Windows in the nineties.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
CODI update
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 06:41:55 am »
Quote from: zottel
It seems to me that whenever something happens in the background that uses a considerable amount of CPU, flashing the cover display fails. I hope this will be improved. Right now, it's a bit like trying to burn CDs under Windows in the nineties.
At least we don't have to throw away the CODIs after each unsuccessful burn attempt

Jos

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
Today did an update from V1.1.1.12 to V1.1.1.13.

The same trouble as previous time i updated it. But after about 7 tries it finally works.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:39:12 pm by Jos »

novaldex

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 02:07:30 pm »
I don't suppose anyone has the v12 firmware update files by any chance?

My Cosmo is not working properly & I want to downgrade v13 to v12 as a test

plutopants

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:01 am »
After update to Codi v13...
Try to phone my voicemail from the cover closed.
Can't connect (number types but call connect button on screen does nothing)
Speakerphone works but Headset earspeaker doesn't.

Have rebooted, turned SIM on and off, sworn, prayed and promised to be a good boy....

Any other Cosmonauts got any advice?
Still holding faith in my Planet Gemini and Cosmo, in the memory of dear old Psion.

vldmr

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 08:52:22 am »
Quote from: plutopants
If you are talking about latest update - that one has version v14. Maybe your update failed and you need to keep trying

plutopants

• View Profile
CODI update
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 10:32:12 am »
Quote from: vldmr
Quote from: plutopants
If you are talking about latest update - that one has version v14. Maybe your update failed and you need to keep trying
Sorry, my mistake v14 Codi actually and v22 system..
So all as up to date as possible currently. (Ten or so attempts at flashing.)

Not hearing anything through the headset earpiece - you know like using the Cosmo in a traditional phone manner.

If I use a headphone, then I can hear my voicemail box, but when I take out the Jack plug the earspeaker works for a second then just faint static sound - although the call is still connected.

C'mon Planet - this is basic functionality for a communicator phone, surely?
Still holding faith in my Planet Gemini and Cosmo, in the memory of dear old Psion.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
CODI update
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 11:33:12 am »
In my first CoDI flashing attempt, the resources phase passed, but it failed in the firmware phase. I suspect that now using the manual install method to install just the firmware file will work and take less time than running the whole standard update process from the start for each attempt. As I write this post, I can see it's proceeding significantly faster than the resources phase - like 1% per second. And wo-oah! It worked

Note the below part of the linked instructions, which was required for me - selecting either image file from the Downloads section of the file selector view caused the CoDI Assistant to instantly crash.

On the file selector view, you might have to tap on the "Show Internal storage" option under the more option icon on the top right of the screen (the icon with the 3 round dots).

I would expand on this to say you need to then select Internal Storage from the drawer and browse to the file from there. I know there are a number of file access APIs in Android, and my guess is this method passes the file back to the app using a different mechanism.