Author Topic: New Cosmo Firmware Update  (Read 7214 times)

supergadgetman

• View Profile
New Cosmo Firmware Update
« on: December 11, 2019, 11:00:21 am »
Hello

First Post here. No longer a lurker since I finally have my Cosmo. Yay!!    
Has anyone seen this new firmware update for the Cosmo?  It came up in my notifications today after I updated the CODI firmware.
I attached the screenshot here. I'm a little hesitant to pull the plug on this considering the CODI update I just did was flaky at best.
My outer screen is now non responsive every 15 minutes or so and I have to reset it with the CODI app.  
Maybe this new firmware fixes this, but there's no changelog so I don't know.

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 01:08:21 pm »
I went ahead and applied the update. The process was quite fast and uneventful. I did not notice any changes after starting post update either. So far so good

plwweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 01:15:16 pm »
I updated CODI firmware last night and it was a little squirly but no issues so far.  I also ran the firmware update about an hour ago and no issues so far.

Ninji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:18:14 pm »
Here is a direct download link to the OTA update, if anybody requires it: https://flare02.iofota.com/EASTAEON_FTPRO16...91209104700.zip (I disabled the updater app on my Cosmo over concerns regarding the inbuilt malware)

Also, here's some Python 3 code that fetches the URL and details for the latest update from the OTA server: https://gist.github.com/Treeki/823ce5e6fafb...dfd61abe2ef557e

AP756

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:18:31 pm »
You can find the changelog here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/L..._Cosmo_Firmware

Bye for now  Fred

PS: update does not complete on my preliminary rooted Cosmo...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 02:19:11 pm »
Quote from: AP756
You can find the changelog here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/L..._Cosmo_Firmware

Bye for now  Fred

Don't know if it's same on Cosmo, but on Gemini PDA, OTA updates would not install on rooted devices. You had to install updates manually.

HTH,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 03:33:19 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Quote from: AP756

Bye for now  Fred

Don't know if it's same on Cosmo, but on Gemini PDA, OTA updates would not install on rooted devices. You had to install updates manually.

HTH,

Mark
Same for me, so it seems so. How to install the update on an rooted device? If we already had the flashable images things would be quite easy...

Mith

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:50:12 pm »
So, this isn't the trailed firmware release with multiboot, TWRP, and Linux installation support baked in, right? (As announced in Indiegogo campaign update 35.)

TauPan

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 04:03:15 pm »
Quote from: mithrandir
Same for me, so it seems so. How to install the update on an rooted device? If we already had the flashable images things would be quite easy...

Mith

Power off
Power on while holding right side of rocker button (fingerprint sensor)
You get to a screen with a dead android and chinese characters (probably: "No command"  in chinese)
In that screen press fn - esc - right side of rocker

Now you're in recovery mode and should be able to flash the  file via adb or from sd card.

(Can't try it myself because my cosmo's display is broken.)

mithrandir

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 04:45:29 pm »

Mith

Got the update installed on the rooted Cosmo..

1.  Flash the original boot image using SP flash tool (Gemini version is outdated and does not work for Cosmo)
2.  Perform the OTA update
3.  Flash the magisked boot image again

Images come from here: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35879 (Thanks ZimbiX)

Mith

TheProfessorNQ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 04:52:24 pm »
I went ahead with the firmware update. Hit restart or reboot, whatever it said. Now I'm stuck in a boot loop that doesn't get past the splash screen to the boot animation. Then powers off, and immediately restarts. One boot/power off cycle takes about 13-14 seconds. Holding any key/button combinations seems to be of no help. Additional information! I was rooted with magisk. Two failed attempts to install the new firmware, so I flashed the original boot image back to the device and rebooted. That went no problem. Tried the OTA update one more time. This time I didn't get an error message at the end of it. Phone restarted, and here I sit 6 hours later, hoping the battery eventually drains so I can try ADBing in. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Something I'm noticing as I'm typing this, just as the phone powers down, the screen has a glitch-in-the-matrix style flicker. I doubt that really means anything to anyone, but just in case.

A pre-thanks to everyone!

mithrandir

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 05:12:23 pm »
Quote from: TheProfessorNQ
I went ahead with the firmware update. Hit restart or reboot, whatever it said. Now I'm stuck in a boot loop that doesn't get past the splash screen to the boot animation. Then powers off, and immediately restarts. One boot/power off cycle takes about 13-14 seconds. Holding any key/button combinations seems to be of no help. Additional information! I was rooted with magisk. Two failed attempts to install the new firmware, so I flashed the original boot image back to the device and rebooted. That went no problem. Tried the OTA update one more time. This time I didn't get an error message at the end of it. Phone restarted, and here I sit 6 hours later, hoping the battery eventually drains so I can try ADBing in. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Something I'm noticing as I'm typing this, just as the phone powers down, the screen has a glitch-in-the-matrix style flicker. I doubt that really means anything to anyone, but just in case.

A pre-thanks to everyone!

Most probably you have already tried:
-Press Esc long (takes about 10 secs at the rotating planets)
-Press Esc+silver  button (side) long
-Press Esc+Vol Up/Down (next to the cover display) long

Also had a similar (seemed to be related to a magisk module I am trying to develop...) behavior. For me it helped to "reboot" several times using the Esc long press. Booting works when the blue caps lock led turns off. If it stays on the phone is frozen.

If not faint-hearted you might try to remove the back and pull the battery plug. Once I had to resurrect  the Gemini (now it's undead  this way. It refused to turn on.

Mith
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:47:20 pm by mithrandir »

supergadgetman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 05:34:45 pm »
Quote from: vldmr
I went ahead and applied the update. The process was quite fast and uneventful. I did not notice any changes after starting post update either. So far so good

I just updated. No issues, but I noticed my outer screen was still freezing. Started removing software one by one and reverting settings.  I found that when I configured my gmail to sync to my work exchange server just to load my email contacts,
it was causing an abundance of notifications to appear on the outer screen and causing it to freeze.  Once I removed that account the freezing stopped. I tried just turning off notifications for that account, but something was still pegging the outer screen
even though it wasn't hitting the main screen. I wasn't even syncing email from that exchange account, just my work contacts so not sure why it was causing an issue, but its working now so all's well.

BTW, here's a shot of the launcher I use for anyone interested its called WinX Launcher. Gives the Cosmo a more of a laptop feel and navigates just like Windows.

Cheers

TheProfessorNQ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »
Most probably you have already tried:
-Press Esc long (takes about 10 secs at the rotating planets)
-Press Esc+silver  button (side) long
-Press Esc+Vol Up/Down (next to the cover display) long

Also had a similar (seemed to be related to a magisk module I am trying to develop...) behavior. For me it helped to "reboot" several times using the Esc long press. Booting works when the blue caps lock led turns off. If it stays on the phone is frozen.

If not faint-hearted you might try to remove the back and pull the battery plug. Once I had to resurrect  the Gemini (now it's undead  this way. It refused to turn on.

Mith

Thanks Mith! I'll give that a shot tonight. Gotta go have dinner with the in-laws first. I had it apart at work, but that battery connector looked real odd to me. More like it was soldered on. Probably a mix of bad vision + light that are far too bright in my lab. I'm assuming it pulls up, not out? As in away from the keyboard, not towards the other end of the device. Oh! And to be clear, it doesnt make it to the rotating planets. Just the initial PC splash screen.

Thanks again!
-Prof (the NQ means "Not Quite")
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:58:21 pm by TheProfessorNQ »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 11:38:02 pm »
Quote from: supergadgetman
Quote from: vldmr

I just updated. No issues, but I noticed my outer screen was still freezing. Started removing software one by one and reverting settings.  I found that when I configured my gmail to sync to my work exchange server just to load my email contacts,
it was causing an abundance of notifications to appear on the outer screen and causing it to freeze.  Once I removed that account the freezing stopped. I tried just turning off notifications for that account, but something was still pegging the outer screen
even though it wasn't hitting the main screen. I wasn't even syncing email from that exchange account, just my work contacts so not sure why it was causing an issue, but its working now so all's well.

Would be good if you file a bug report with Planet regarding the notification freeze issue.

File it here:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/cc92fc88e...923c419ad9321b2

BTW, here's a shot of the launcher I use for anyone interested its called WinX Launcher. Gives the Cosmo a more of a laptop feel and navigates just like Windows.

Cheers

Launcher looks good on the landscape orientation. Thanks for sharing info and pic.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/