Author Topic: Is it possible to run Android inside Debian?  (Read 1498 times)

jjrv

• View Profile
Is it possible to run Android inside Debian?
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:50:28 am »
I've found this article on how to use Android kernel and userland with Debian between them:
Running Debian Linux on Android device natively

It should set up an ordinary Debian system, with full access to Android that sits inside it while avoiding performance issues that PRoot-based approaches would have.

I mostly do web development and would like to have hardware accelerated WebGL for working on graphics stuff. Android kernel and browser seem like the most likely way to get that working, while otherwise trying to avoid some Android restrictions.

In Play Store there's a package called XServer XSDL (also on GitHub) that I'm hoping could render the Linux desktop without having to resort to VNC.

Could this work on the Cosmo? I'm eager to test myself but haven't received a device yet.

Probably OTA updates are unlikely to work in such a setup? I'm planning to update manually maybe yearly, and browse the web through a Debian-based browser to keep it up to date and avoid vulnerabilities. Android browser would mainly serve for local web app development and testing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:44:23 pm by jjrv »

jjrv

• View Profile
Is it possible to run Android inside Debian?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:12:47 pm »
That was a silly idea, a Devuan chroot setup probably works better.