Author Topic: hibernate vs suspend  (Read 2264 times)

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« on: April 01, 2020, 01:54:39 pm »
I am pondering,

* what is the best way to store away a folded debian gemini?

1) turn it off

2) suspend

3) hibernate

4) ?

I imagine different solutions have different impact on battery

additionally, I have led on the back flashing between green and blue, would there be a way to switch this to a different color while in a different state?

My gemini does give a notification with both hibernate and suspend, only suspend however actually goes into a black screen.

It also comes very quick back to life as if it was only in a screensaver mode, and when logging in, I get a notification:

[blockquote]"An error occurred starting screensaver. Action 'activate' failed. Ensure you have xscreensaver installed and running"[/blockquote]

hoping to get wiser and maybe learn from some of your experiences.
cheers
Gemini PDA x27

Eric BF

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:27 am »
I guess it depends on how long you wish to store it. If it's just until you use it next and that is likely to be in hours (or a day), what I do might work for you. I turn off the radios (bluetooth and wifi), turn off the display with
Code: [Select]
xset dpms force offand then close the lid.
I don't use the default screensaver because I hate having to type in my password. I like living dangerously...  
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:23:36 am »
Quote from: Eric BF
I guess it depends on how long you wish to store it. If it's just until you use it next and that is likely to be in hours (or a day), what I do might work for you. I turn off the radios (bluetooth and wifi), turn off the display with
I don't use the default screensaver because I hate having to type in my password. I like living dangerously...  
I like that, and it got me thinking to make a custom "sleep" script that I can run before folding.

command line parameters could be
* switch off screen
* switch off wifi
* switch off bluetooth
* switch off 4G modem (if on)
* toggle requirement of password at next unfold.

cheers
Gemini PDA x27

mibry

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:02 am »
Quote from: gemini_user_j
I like that, and it got me thinking to make a custom "sleep" script that I can run before folding.

* switch off screen
* switch off wifi
* switch off bluetooth

cheers

The script could be adapted for both Gemini and Cosmo(when it become usable)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:26:33 am by mibry »

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:36:11 am »
Quote from: mibry

* switch off screen
* switch off wifi
* switch off bluetooth

cheers

The script could be adapted for both Gemini and Cosmo(when it become usable)

is it actually feasible to detect when the screen folds and make a trigger based on this?
that could possible run a custom default of such a script
Gemini PDA x27

Eric BF

• View Profile
hibernate vs suspend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:08:58 am »
is it actually feasible to detect when the screen folds and make a trigger based on this?
that could possible run a custom default of such a script
In principle, it is indeed possible. However, I've been unable to figure this out. Any advice on doing such would be very welcome indeed.
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian