Author Topic: New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14  (Read 3163 times)

idc

• View Profile
New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:55:38 am »
Hi,
Just a heads up that Sailfish 3.3.0.14 was released to Early Adopters on the 2nd April. Usually it will be made available to everyone else as an update about a week later. I'm looking forward to upgrading my system.
Sadly, it doesn't appear that support for the Cosmo was included in this version. This is disappointing. I've emailed Davide Guidi in the hope of hearing whether there is any work going on to make a version available for the Cosmo. I'll post if hear anything back.
All the best,
Ian

tpp

• View Profile
New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:48 am »
Does it support device encryption on Gemini? Did they fix inability to answer call with side button?

How secure is Sailfish on Gemini PDA, compared to ancient Android? Does it actually bring any improvement to security in terms of addressing vulnerabilities, or is it pretty much the same as Android due to ancient kernel?

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 03:10:16 am »
Quote from: idc
Hi,
Just a heads up that Sailfish 3.3.0.14 was released to Early Adopters on the 2nd April. Usually it will be made available to everyone else as an update about a week later. I'm looking forward to upgrading my system.
Sadly, it doesn't appear that support for the Cosmo was included in this version. This is disappointing. I've emailed Davide Guidi in the hope of hearing whether there is any work going on to make a version available for the Cosmo. I'll post if hear anything back.
All the best,
Ian

good news. kernel will be still based on the 3.18 series, but at least some support and update. thanks jolla.
btw. is this for the community or official release ? could not find anything on blog.jolla.com or jolla.com about this release for the gemini.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

idc

• View Profile
New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:00:50 am »
I got round to installing the upgrade today. All went smoothly. Haven't noticed any differences yet ... which I think is a good thing. Nice to feel that the phone is up to date.

I did hear from Davide Guidi a few weeks ago. Apologies for not posting back here then. He said he thought Sailfish was unlikely to be ready for Cosmo before mid-May. Naturally, as that was still a fair way off at that point, I assume that was a rough 'guestimate' rather than a commitment. I got the impression the priority was the Android update (which was mentioned in latest update) and Linux, then Sailfish.

The latest version can be downloaded from Jolla's shop, if you don't already have Sailfish installed: https://shop.jolla.com

gabs5807

• View Profile
New Sailfish OS 3.3.0.14
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 02:13:56 pm »
Quote from: tpp
Does it support device encryption on Gemini? Did they fix inability to answer call with side button?

How secure is Sailfish on Gemini PDA, compared to ancient Android? Does it actually bring any improvement to security in terms of addressing vulnerabilities, or is it pretty much the same as Android due to ancient kernel?

@tpp: Take a look to TJC https://together.jolla.com/question/227861/...ipda-sailfishx/
As i know only on the 'official' Jolla SailfishX /home partition encryption (no full device encryption) is possible   .

The community port did not have a own partition for /home, so encryption is not possible on the port.

I don't know who is responsible for this part on SailfishX   .

It seems that Jolla pay less attention to the Gemini PDA.
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)