Author Topic: Android Auto  (Read 2638 times)

merlog

• View Profile
Android Auto
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:11:58 pm »
Hello,
has anybody some experiences with AndroidAuto on Gemini PDA?
I tried both USB port, however the car was not recognized,
Thanks

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Android Auto
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 02:45:53 am »
Hi and welcome! I have never used Android Auto, and now I'm curious to see if I can connect it to my car stereo. After a quick search I have seen that the most common fixes seem to be the following:
- to check that the phone is not set as disabled in the car's head unit
- to remove the Gemini and any unused devices on the head unit and let it recognise it again
- to clean the USB cable's connector.

It also might be caused by bugs introduced by a new AA update, some people have fixed this by reverting to a previous version.

Varti
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:02:15 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

merlog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 03:42:02 pm »
Thanks for reply. No result  :-\
Tried android auto vs.5.1. Older did not accept regional settings.

ramax12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 11:24:35 pm »
Hello,
has anybody some experiences with AndroidAuto on Gemini PDA?https://pintvideodownloader.com/
I tried both USB port, however the car was not recognized,
Thanks

I'm an Android user but IDK about this, What is Android Auto?

miked1541

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 09:30:49 pm »
It looks like my reply didn't go through :(

Anyhow, I use the Gemini PDA with Android Auto.  I have the wifi version of the Gemini and have a rooted version of Android v8.1.0 installed from Planet Computers.  I mostly used the waze app and connect to the wifi in my car.  I tried to separate Android Auto from the apps I normally use by using a work profile and the shelter app.  Unfortunately, it looks like Android Auto needs to run in the main profile and not in the work profile, so I had to switch things around.  I still don't really trust the work profile thing to separate my apps, but oh well.

I used to use an old Android v6 phone for my car's navigation, but the phone is no longer supported with Android Auto.  That was a bummer and got me wondering if the cars have their own schedule for planned obsolescence like the phones do.  The phone still works fine as it should, but I cannot use it like I did before since it was no longer supported by Android Auto.  That's why I use the Gemini PDA now...not sure for how much longer.

One of the things I don't like about using the Gemini is that I have to click on all these permissions every time I plug in the device.  It probably does that since I don't use a google account and I am on a rooted version of Android.  If I used the device like I'm supposed to with a proper google account and access to everything, it would probably work right away.

I wonder if my car would be considered obsolete in a few years after it can no longer be updated or be able to work with my device.  I wonder if there is a DIY workaround for using the car's screen after it is considered obsolete.  There's probably some smart cookie out there looking into this issue already.  I don't like the idea of my car being dependent on my phone's software/OS version and vice versa.  It worked great when the car was new and my phone was fairly new and everything work.  Now I feel like there is an expiration.

The current version of Android Auto states that it is for car screens only on the Gemini.  I think previous versions allowed for viewing the map on the Gemini screen, which was good since it has a larger screen than my phone.  Now I can only use Android Auto on a car with a screen than on the Gemini.  Good thing my car is still compatible with this version of Android Auto...unsure for how much longer.  This is not the case with my current mobile phone (Unihertz Titan)  I can use Android Auto either plugged into my car screen or view the map on the phone itself.  Again, unsure of for how much longer.

Another thing I dislike about Android Auto is that previously, you were able to use the touch screen on the car's dash while you were driving, like if you needed to input an address or switch to freeway routes.  Now you cannot even do anything on the screen unless you are at a full stop.  Yeah, I get the safety factors, etc., but the passenger cannot even put in a new route or anything until the vehicle is at a full stop.  Annoying.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

miked1541