Author Topic: Sailfishos 3.4.0.24 for early access  (Read 3215 times)

FrankS

• View Profile
Sailfishos 3.4.0.24 for early access
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:58 am »
SailfishX (name for the paid version) update to 3.4.0.24 is available for early access users. The release is not far away. It is still very nice on the gemini PDA if you do some fixing yourself:
  • use 'Default allowed orientations patch' with patchmanger3 and fix it to landscape inverted with 'dconf write /desktop/sailfish/silica/default_allowed_orientations 8' (use terminal for the command)
  • don't forget to switch wifi off if you don't need it to save a lot of battery
Looks like quirks and bugs get never fixed in future. But it is the best OS for me on this device. Give it a try if you have not done until now.

idc

• View Profile
Re: Sailfishos 3.4.0.24 for early access
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 06:27:52 am »
Thanks, Frank. Now available to those of us not early access as well. Am downloading as I type.
Looking forward to trying the updated browser.

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 12:15:32 pm »
Hmm. Upgrading not going smoothly. Using the manual upgrade method. The gemini is repeatedly retrying 'REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES', then failing with either,

a) 'Error: Timeout exceeded when accessing 'https://store-repository.jolla.com/' etc. etc.,

or b) after successfully downloading 3 packages warning that 'The upgrade could NOT be finished. Make sure you have a working Internet Connection and SSU is properly set up... REBOOT AT YOUR OWN RISK'

Or finally, c) 'Error: Permission to access 'https://store-repository.jolla.com/releases/3.4.0.24/' etc. etc. 'denied.'

So far it has been all day like this.

It *could* conceivably be the Virgin Broadband connection playing up, but everything else in the house is connecting just fine, so I'm inclined to think there is something else wrong. Guess I need to find out where to ask questions of knowledgeable Jolla Sailfish people. (I haven't found google very helpful with troubleshooting Jolla stuff ...)

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:37:02 pm »
Well that took all day, but after a lot of efforts I did finally get my upgraded SFOS 3.4.0.24. Not entirely sure whether the problem was at my end or Jolla's.
But anyway things seem to be running well now.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 10:12:15 am »
Glad you finally got it installed, idc!

Can you share some thoughts about how well Sailfish works ?

I tried a version (community ? I'm in US, so, Jolla does not let me get the other version...) about a year or so ago when I had Gemini before getting my Cosmo.

Looked nice, but found all the gestures to navigate confusing and sometimes did not work properly. Also, found the available apps very limiting.

Is it any better now?

Thanks,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:25 am »
I like it — most especially because I don't have to put any further thought to google and other data-slurping corporations. I've become very used to the gesture navigation system, which mostly works well and seems logical.

However, I recognise the app-availability will be a problem for many. I don't use many apps, though I would welcome a really good writing app and a really good calendar app, and a means to sync them. So far nothing to compare with what Psion offered two decades ago in Word, Calendar and Rsync!

My work around at length has been to use the gemini for my personal stuff, and use it as a hotspot when I want my Cosmo with Android to run a program that only runs on that. That way I can keep my personal data separate from the data-slurp.

If I had more time, I would be looking into how hard it is to compile stuff for the gemini. It seems to me that Sailfish has potential but is held back by an insufficient number of users. I don't know whether that will change. But for the moment I am glad to be using it.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »
Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

Good point about google, etc....that's main thing that bugs me about using Android.

And good point about the Psion apps....they are great.

It seems to me that one Sailfish issue with lack of progress what seems to me to be limited resources at Jolla.....which in turn limits their development of Sailfish, which in turn limits interest by users......
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/