Author Topic: Key size  (Read 2656 times)

spa

• View Profile
    • ssipa's Tips & Freeware for Full Key Board Device
Key size
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:55:57 pm »
I saw Astro's keyboard photo in Update #15.
I was very disappointed.
The width of the up/down keys, left shift, and left CTRL key is different from the other keys.
It makes it impossible to swap the location of these keys with other keys.
I used to use Gemini and Cosmo by swapping the keys.
The ability to freely swap keys was one of the great things about Gemini and Cosmo.
There is no advantage to changing the width of the keys.
I requested Planet to make Astro the same as Gemini and Cosmo.

gymbo

• View Profile
Re: Key size
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:15:48 pm »
Hmm, first I thought that was some kind of optical illusion, but then I saw that on my Cosmo the two bottom rows of the keyboard is a tiny bit narrower than the other rows, which is not the case of the keyboard in update 15.

But I don't really see the reason for changing those keys anyway, and will probably not change any of the others either, as long as I have pretty quick access to the Norwegian letters "æ", "ø" and "å" (need to use the "Fn" key to access them, and they don't work with caps-lock, but it is usable). But MY needs are not everyone's, and there probably aren't any really good reasons to not have as many as possible of the keys identical in size, so I will have to agree with you...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:47:31 pm »
The narrowing of the two bottom keyboard rows on the Gemini and Cosmo came directly from the design of the Psion Series 5. Maybe keeping the sides of the Astro keyboard straight, works better with the slider, or, perhaps, they had to nudge things around, to make room for the fairly deep main camera module? They hinted at something to that effect in Astro Update #10. I wish Planet would be more vocal about such details.

Anyway, in all the Astro images and videos thus far, all rows of the keyboard has been of equal width, though, previously, the extra width of the two lower rows was added to the outermost keys on both sides. While I'm not into key swapping either, I do remember seeing someone putting all the arrow keys on the bottom row, allowing comma and period to sit to the right of M. That particular mod would have been possible, had the extra width been given to the outermost keys on both sides.

I'm a bit surprised to read that æ, ø and å wouldn't work with Caps Lock. At least on my Swedish Cosmo keyboard, Caps Lock works with the Swedish å, ä and ö.

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 04:33:01 pm »
I'm a bit surprised to read that æ, ø and å wouldn't work with Caps Lock. At least on my Swedish Cosmo keyboard, Caps Lock works with the Swedish å, ä and ö.
Hmm, some kind of oversight on the Danish/Norwegian models/languages perhaps??? It's a bit annoying, but nothing I can't live with. (I USUALLY DON'T NEED TO SHOUT WHEN I TYPE!! :o ::) :-\ )